Vehicle question

MJM

can an unloaded handgun be kept in a locked glove compartment when you are away from your vehicle?

What is legal (or not) doesd not always extend to liability

It is true, in some states (not sure abouit NH) where if a firearm is left in a vehicle unattended and the firearm is then stolen by a minor who injures themselves or others with that weapon, the owner of that firearm is liable both in criminal and civil action.

What is the liability for this situation in NH?

Regards,

As far as I know a locked car is a locked container in NH, and if someone breaks in and steals a gun they are criminal and are responsible for themselves.

As far as I know a locked car is a locked container in NH, and if someone breaks in and steals a gun they are criminal and are responsible for themselves.

I believe you are correct, as long as you make an effort to keep an unauthorized person from gaining access you have done your part.

Here in NH you can leave a loaded .45 on your front door step if you so choose, but if someone takes that .45 and uses it to commit a crime you can be held responsible.

and of course the key to doing your diligence to not allowing an unauthorized person gain control of your firearm, is to LOCK the car, and not forget to.

Back
Top Bottom