• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dual residency question

Hi,
I've been looking around and wasn't able to find an answer to this. Hopefully someone knows.
My primary residence is in MA, and my secondary residence is in NH. Because of my line of work however, my taxes, mailing address, for drivers license etc is tied to my MA address. Under such circumstances is it still legal for me to purchase and own MA-banned firearms and suppressors in NH as long as I don't bring it to MA?

Thanks.

MA does not care about firearms in NH.

NH does not care about MA's dreaded "lists."

Ergo... what happens in NH, stays in NH.

My primary residence is in MA, and my secondary residence is in NH. Because of my line of work however, my taxes, mailing address, for drivers license etc is tied to my MA address. Under such circumstances is it still legal for me to purchase and own MA-banned firearms and suppressors in NH as long as I don't bring it to MA?
New Hampshire state law doesn't care. Federal law and the ATF details how "residency" works for "dual" residents.

I see. When looking at the NH laws they just said "you must be a resident of the state" and didn't specify if it needed to be your primary residence or not.
Basically needs to be your residence at the moment, there's strict federal regulations (see 27 CFR 478.11) and ATF rules on what any FFL may accept as proof of residency; be aware a dealer doesn't have to sell to you, and some will choose not to.

I think this requires a bit of amplification.

The word "resident" can have different meanings. At common law, and as most commonly used in present-day statutes, resident means domicile. Everyone starts at birth with one (usually the domicile of the mother), and it remains the same unless and until changed. One can change one's residence by physically moving to a different state with a bona fide present intention to remain in the new state for the indefinite future. As such, there is no such things as "primary residence" and "secondary residence." In the domicile sense, one can have only one residence at any given moment in time.

Now move to the federal Gun Control Act. In part, this statute imposed a limitation on interstate transactions between individuals primarily to close a perceived loophole by which residents (in the domicile sense) could evade the local laws of their state of residence. However, BATFE has formally interpreted "resident" -- for Gun Control Act purposes and none other -- to mean what Kevin NH describes. This practice, unhappily, gave birth to the inaccurate term (and concept) of "dual residency," which in turn has left lots of folks confused.

When residence comes up in situations I'm asked about, I start by asking: "Where do you vote?"

Finally, if you think about it, none of this is necessary to answer the OP's question. He asks whether, as an assumed MA resident who owns an additional abode in NH, he may legally possess in NH firearms banned in MA that will stay in NH and never come to MA. The simple answer is that MA does not, and cannot, enact statutes governing conduct in another state. (The general subject, for anyone idle enough to want to explore it, is called "extraterritoriality.")

Back
Top Bottom