• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about my buddy

My buddy that i have shooting with for a while wants to build his first ar15. He owns a couple pre built ones. He disclosed to me this weekend that he is worried about passing the nh background check for a lower. He apparently went through a rough patch as a kid going in and out of foster care and was in the state hospital in his youth due to depression.

Correct me if im wrong, but doesn't the nh state police do a regular old NICS check ?
Wouldnt they have flagged him on long gun purchases if he wasnt a approved buyer?
Wouldnt he have not been able to get his residence CCW ?

The guy is a solid dude and i have no doubts in my mind he can own firearms responsibly and has demonstrated it. Just makes me wonder

Your understanding matches mine.

Buying a lower and buying a completed gun are the same, legally; so unless something has changed he's A-OK.

"something has changed" might include "the state computerizes old records"

Unless you're saying he got all his completed guns from individuals and not FFLs, I can't see there being a problem.

Buying a lower and buying a completed gun are the same, legally; so unless something has changed he's A-OK.

Unless you're saying he got all his completed guns from individuals and not FFLs, I can't see there being a problem.
The guys 22 years old so if there was a computer record. I would think it would be sticking around by now.

To answer your question i was with him with one of his purchases from a ffl so yes all legal. Long gun though goes through NICS while lowers from my own experience go through NH DOS POC system.

The guys 22 years old so if there was a computer record. I would think it would be sticking around by now.

Yep, his entire life is on his "permanent record"

To answer your question i was with him with one of his purchases from a ffl so yes all legal. Long gun though goes through NICS while lowers from my own experience go through NH DOS POC system.

NH DOC POC is just a front-end to NICS, isn't it? (but slower) They don't have their own databases and lookups in addition to the NICS stuff I don't think.

It's my understanding that NH DOS is a partial participant when it comes to NICS checks/usage. NH DOS is the agency that runs a check for handguns but all long gun purchases go through Federal NICS (FBI) directly. Like another poster mentioned, if he's already passed the nics for other long guns and nothing has changed since those checks I'd assume that things will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom