• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vehicle Center Console Lock Boxes

Hello, all!

I'm the proud owner of a new (to me) 2015 Toyota Highlander. I would like to put a lockbox in the center console.

I found this item in my initial research (www.consolevault.com). Anybody have any experience with these? If so, thoughts?

Anybody have any other center console lock box options which take less space? Maybe something like this (SVB500 Fingerprint Handgun Safe - GunVault | GunVault).

Thanks in advance for any constructive feedback!

- P -

I have the console vault, and I have been happy with it. The only downside is it displaced tons of crap I used to keep in the console. ;)

It was very easy to install. It will keep honest people honest and deter a quick smash and grab. It will not keep out a determined person with a small bit of time and tools.

I'm looking at these but the console in the fold down of my f250 is not big. you'd think it would be bigger but...... the model shown sold for the truck in the link from the company the op posted fits that little space. I barely have room for storage of my radar detector and a few pens, lol. if I needed to store a gun in there i'd have to clear out the space. if I could find one that uses the other area of storage it would be better. i'll keep looking.

I have a small cheap (Buldog brand?) combo "safe" I got at cabellas for ~$30. I have it cabled and under my rear seat (flip up on a 4Runner) that I have in case I need to store something. Fits perfectly, out of sight. Should fit a full size gun and 1-2 mags.

I wanted a "Console Vault" but pricey and takes up all the space and my console is packed with crap! So I can afford to loose the space.

Damn STUPID MA law about the LOCKING glove box not being suitable!!!! I HATE MA!!!!!

I've got a Lock'er Down in my 17 4runner. Bolts down and still utilizes the USB ports and the size is pretty good considering. I threw some magnets on each side and can put my Glock 26, 34 and 3 mags in there.

Edit - Just checked their site. They don't make one for the Highlander. Perfect reason to sell the Highlander and pick up a 4Runner :D

I've got a Lock'er Down in my 17 4runner. Bolts down and still utilizes the USB ports and the size is pretty good considering. I threw some magnets on each side and can put my Glock 26, 34 and 3 mags in there.

Edit - Just checked their site. They don't make one for the Highlander. Perfect reason to sell the Highlander and pick up a 4Runner :D

Loaded or unloaded in console vault? (not sure if locked in safe under your arm constitutes 'direct control')

Does the LrD safe (which looks like sides and a door) leave the mounting hardware exposed to scratch the shit of whatevers in it?
I think the consolevault has recessed fasteners and a 'floor'.

Loaded or unloaded in console vault? (not sure if locked in safe under your arm constitutes 'direct control')

Does the LrD safe (which looks like sides and a door) leave the mounting hardware exposed to scratch the shit of whatevers in it?
I think the consolevault has recessed fasteners and a 'floor'.

Loaded while in the safe. If it is locked inside a safe then that wouldn't constitute DC. I would have to unlock the safe to be able to grab my Glock which from what I've read is perfectly within MA storage laws.

The LrD comes with longer bolts and a neoprene cover to protect any items within.

Loaded while in the safe. If it is locked inside a safe then that wouldn't constitute DC. I would have to unlock the safe to be able to grab my Glock which from what I've read is perfectly within MA storage laws.
If the safe is in your house, loaded is fine.

If the safe is the console vault in your car, it must be unloaded, as it is no longer under your direct control.
Section 131C. (a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a Class A license issued under section 131 or 131F shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.​

If the safe is in your house, loaded is fine.

If the safe is the console vault in your car, it must be unloaded, as it is no longer under your direct control.
Section 131C. (a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a Class A license issued under section 131 or 131F shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.​

Ok... Un-racked and a simple "you've got a warrant?" will work.

Ok... Un-racked and a simple "you've got a warrant?" will work.
If you're relying on "You've got a warrant?", you're not in a good position.

Unracked is still loaded and a ride to a $500 fine, immediate 1 year loss of LTC, and a likely stop at "unsuitable" per your local COP.

Masswhole asked what the law was for storage in a vault in a car. The law in that case is "unloaded".

Masswhole asked what the law was for storage in a vault in a car. The law in that case is "unloaded".

Thanks for the feedback.
So no-go keeping loaded in safe while vehicle is in motion.
Vague MA laws strike again as I'd consider a safe immediately next to me with a combination only I know as under 'direct control'.

What about when not in vehicle? Like when running into school to get kids, going to workout etc.
Loading/unloading multiple times during day isn't appealing.

I'll add a question in here too. If unloaded in a storage vault in my vehicle, does the ammo have to be in a separate locked container? Not while I"m in the vehicle, but if locking it up to go into a place where I can't carry? if I'm in my vehicle it would be on my person. I'm interested in getting a storage contain for when I need to leave it in the vehicle.

Vague MA laws strike again as I'd consider a safe immediately next to me with a combination only I know as under 'direct control'.
It is until you get out of the seat to put the gas pump in the tank, etc.

What about when not in vehicle? Like when running into school to get kids, going to workout etc. Loading/unloading multiple times during day isn't appealing.
Unloaded. It isn't supposed to be appealing, it's supposed to be an irritant and an inconvenience. Just another in the line of obstacles the state wants to place in your way in the hope that you won't carry.

If unloaded in a storage vault in my vehicle, does the ammo have to be in a separate locked container? Not while I"m in the vehicle, but if locking it up to go into a place where I can't carry? if I'm in my vehicle it would be on my person. I'm interested in getting a storage contain for when I need to leave it in the vehicle.
There are no requirements for having the ammunition in a locked container in a car. You can leave it in a bag under the seat, in the glove compartment, or in the console on top of the vault. For that matter, AFAIK, it would be fine to have the ammunition inside the vault with the unloaded gun.

Last edited:
I'll add a question in here too. If unloaded in a storage vault in my vehicle, does the ammo have to be in a separate locked container? Not while I"m in the vehicle, but if locking it up to go into a place where I can't carry? if I'm in my vehicle it would be on my person. I'm interested in getting a storage contain for when I need to leave it in the vehicle.

If I am remembering the advice of LenS correctly, there is no requirement for ammo to be locked up. You can leave it rolling around on the floor if you want.

If I am remembering the advice of LenS correctly, there is no requirement for ammo to be locked up. You can leave it rolling around on the floor if you want.

Well I wouldn't want to do that. Ideally it would be ok to store the ammo in the same locked container as the firearm but not having the firearm loaded. Otherwise I would probably want a second place to store the ammo. Just wondering if that makes a difference or not. I'd rather not need separate storage, but also don't want to assume that it would ok either.

That is a no no. The ammo must be kept separate but does not need to be in a locked container.

While in motion/transport. As soon as the vehicle is parked, you're now in storage and it must be locked. Easy right?

That is a no no. The ammo must be kept separate but does not need to be in a locked container.
Can you reference the section of Mass laws that requires the ammunition to be in a separate container? AFAIK, there is no such requirement.

Back
Top Bottom