Vegitable Meat Substitute?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I'm looking to round out my food storage with some additional proteins. I already have a good amount of beans and lentils, but wanted to add something that is either meat or a meat substitute. Augason Farms offers a package of meat substitutes in chicken, beef, taco and bacon flavors. Seems to have good ratings and they last up to 30 years if unopened.

I'm wondering though if anyone has tried this kind of meat substitutes? If so, how was it? God awful, tolerable or pretty decent? If you've tried other brands that you like can you let me know what it was? I

'm looking at this instead of freeze dried meat as that only has a shelf life of 5 years compared to the 30 years for the substitute.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Portobello mushrooms have a meat-like texture and good flavor (even if you don't do anything with them).

There are things like textured vegetable protein that you could try. I've not had anything with that in decades, so my info isn't current. It wasn't horrible when we used it (back in the 80s) but it wasn't MEAT!!

I would keep a freezer stocked with something you like that can also be quickly preserved using salt and just rotate it out for regular meals. or just keep lots of bacon hand. Get your protein from beans and add flavor from bacon or whatever. I don't see a reason to have crappy tasting meat that is around for 30 years.

I would keep a freezer stocked with something you like that can also be quickly preserved using salt and just rotate it out for regular meals. or just keep lots of bacon hand. Get your protein from beans and add flavor from bacon or whatever. I don't see a reason to have crappy tasting meat that is around for 30 years.

Thread title should be "Substitute" not "Substiture"... Attention fail... [wink]

IMO, if you're that concerned, learn to hunt and you won't need to worry about it.

I'm looking at this instead of freeze dried meat as that only has a shelf life of 5 years compared to the 30 years for the substitute.

I'm not sure where you've been looking that only has a 5 year shelf life for real meat. You can get the real thing with a 25 year shelf life at Emergency Essentials. I am personally skipping the TVP in my food storage.

Last edited:
try some of their TVP it isn't complete shite, works for some protien in rice and beans or spaghetti and taco's I was pleasantly surprised. Buy a small container and try them first.

I'm looking at this instead of freeze dried meat as that only has a shelf life of 5 years compared to the 30 years for the substitute.

I'm not sure where you've been looking that only has a 5 year shelf life for real meat. You can get the real thing with a 25 year shelf life at Emergency Essentials. I am personally skipping the TVP in my food storage.

This. I get Mountain House meats whenever I can. I think they taste better than the EE but that's just my opinion. From my understanding pretty much anything in a #10 can has a 25+ year shelf life. Check back with me in 22 years and I'll tell ya if it's true or not.

Good bang for the buck is DAK canned hams at $4.50 for 16oz at walmart. The sell by date is almost always 2-3 years out. Ham is one of those foods that works for all 3 meals. Very easy to rotate....who does not like ham and cheese sandwiches or omelettes?

I looked at that but the ingredients have too much soy and chemicals. It does say non gmo but anything with soy, I am leary of. It might be worth 6 bucks to try a can.
The real meat is big bucks.

I think that company ranks pretty well.

I might way off but why not try some of those veggie burgers. That would be TVP? under the best possible conditions. If you like that then try a can. Many people refuse to eat anything with soy, not sure why.

IMO, if you're that concerned, learn to hunt and you won't need to worry about it.

Most experts agree that available game will be exhausted within a month or two in a real event. After a week, every ass hole with a rifle, shotgun, bow or sharp stick will be scouring the woods for food.

Most experts agree that available game will be exhausted within a month or two in a real event. After a week, every ass hole with a rifle, shotgun, bow or sharp stick will be scouring the woods for food.

Agreed, and it also puts you in the woods with every ass hole with a gun. So it increases your odds of something bad happing in a already bad situation.

I get the canned meats from Wal-Mart, tuna, chicken and the hams. Other than the tuna you can mix them into soups and stews.

Jason.

I'm looking to round out my food storage with some additional proteins. I already have a good amount of beans and lentils, but wanted to add something that is either meat or a meat substitute. Augason Farms offers a package of meat substitutes in chicken, beef, taco and bacon flavors. Seems to have good ratings and they last up to 30 years if unopened.

I'm wondering though if anyone has tried this kind of meat substitutes? If so, how was it? God awful, tolerable or pretty decent? If you've tried other brands that you like can you let me know what it was? I

'm looking at this instead of freeze dried meat as that only has a shelf life of 5 years compared to the 30 years for the substitute.

Thanks.

TVP isn't bad at all. It's like tofu, a sauce delivery vehicle. It's great in chili, tacos and sloppy joes.

So it increases your odds of something bad happing in a already bad situation.

Like becoming sunday dinner when people get really hard up. [hmmm]

Peanut butter can last a very long time and can be found with 1 year plus exp. dates. Those are "best used buy" suggestions.
My guess is it could store in cool/dark place for 2 years. Not perfect, but not bad. Tasty? For sure.

Peanut Butter, Smooth Style With Salt
188 Calories
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 2 tbsp (32 g)
Per Serving % Daily Value*
Calories 188
Calories from Fat 145
Total Fat 16.1g 25%
Saturated Fat 3.4g 17%
Polyunsaturated Fat 4.5g
Monounsaturated Fat 7.7g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 147mg 6%
Potassium 207.68mg 6%
Carbohydrates 6.3g 2%
Dietary Fiber 1.9g 8%
Sugars 3g
Protein 8g
Vitamin A 0% · Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% · Iron 17%

And it can be a weapon against all those people with peanut allergies!

Agreed, and it also puts you in the woods with every ass hole with a gun. So it increases your odds of something bad happing in a already bad situation.

I get the canned meats from Wal-Mart, tuna, chicken and the hams. Other than the tuna you can mix them into soups and stews.

Jason.

Walmart also now has canned meatballs, fajita beef, and I think buffalo chicken.....possibly one other type that I can't remember right now. I was surprised to see a little more variety. DAK also now makes a pulled pork but I have only seen it online.

TVP tastes reasonable enough. But before you fill the basement with #10 cans of it, make sure you don't have a soy allergy. Soy allergies are very common, like 1/3 the population IIRC. I developed a soy allergy that is quite nasty, but only after buying lots of TVP of course. A small amount of it gives me instant severe headache and makes me dizzy. I had to give it away to a friend that can eat anything.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Dollar General has cans of pulled pork, beef crumbles, meatballs in sauce, white meat chicken, even 5 oz. cans of premade chicken salad (Great on crackers) All very tasty and high quality. Watch for fairly frequent sales. If you don't have a soy allergy, get some of each type. I have both on hand. Watch dates and rotate.

What's your process to do that?

Im guessing but I bet he is using a Dehydrator, that's what I use. I am doing another 3lbs this weekend, I use hamburger meat and after its done they hold together like a burger from the grill.

Then I pack them in zip locks and I still freeze them, yes I know they are jerked at that point and are fine, but its more of a long term thing just in case some of the fat starts to rot after a month. At least in the freezer they will last till I need them and of course we rotate the stock and the kids love them.

Jason.

So much this. Look at where game levels were at before sweeping game protection laws were passed a century ago. With current human population levels, the only way that the critters will have a chance is if the SHTF event is something where almost all humans die really quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone seen TVP locally? I guess in some parts of the country Whole Foods has it in their bulk food section, but the one closest to me didn't have any.

So much this. Look at where game levels were at before sweeping game protection laws were passed a century ago. With current human population levels, the only way that the critters will have a chance is if the SHTF event is something where almost all humans die really quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone seen TVP locally? I guess in some parts of the country Whole Foods has it in their bulk food section, but the one closest to me didn't have any.

Yes, but I can't remember exactly where. I wanna say it was Trader Joe's in Newington but my memory is blanking. I'll take a look next time I'm over there.

If it does get to this point, I could see a good number of people developing a taste for 'long pork'...

Back
Top Bottom