• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Long term canned meats

This month there are many discounts on long-term food storage. I am slowly increasing my inventory, and would like to add canned meats. I found two alternatives in this space:

Survival_cave_meats.JPG

MH_freeze_dried.JPG

Freeze dried has a longer shelf life but is more expensive. Anyone have experience with either product?

I've tried the MH meats and they are not bad. The texture is a little off, but you will find that to be the case with most freeze dried foods

It's a little pricey, but for the shelf life and piece of mind, I think it's worth it

The only problem with buying large cans of MH or other meats is that you have to eat it all pretty fast once you crack the can open, especially in the warm humid months of summer.

The taste is decent for what it is.

Look at storing more canned tuna and Spam. Tuna will give a solid shelf life. I have cans 5 years old with no loss of flavor. If using in actual SHTF remember to save the water from the can too and use it for cooking.

You can can meat with a pressure cooker. My wife does a great job with canning deer front quarters. They come out very tender when canned. Front quarters suck to tenderize, but the canning process makes it very tender.

Canned bacon is also awesome, for when the SHTF. Pricey, but man, who wouldn't want bacon after a long day of fighting zombies?

Canned meat is where it's at. Much less expensive than dehydrated or freeze dried. And to top that off you frequently find them on sale locally.

has anyone seen canned bacon? they used to sell canned hungarian bacon at KMART about 30 years ago. the stuff would probably last forever.

We have some of the Survival Cave pork. I asked my wife, who's sitting right next to me, to express her opinion: "That disgusting, salty crap?" I tried it plain and in bbq sauce to see if the kids would eat it - there is no getting rid of the vast amount of salt taste. The texture, well...it falls apart into a granular paste once heated. In a SHTF situation I'd eat it, but your food storage should be about more than SHTF. We should store what we eat and eat what we store to stretch our dollars - buying $3k of freeze dried food that we've never used\tasted is not the best use of our money. If you think a grid down SHTF is bad, try working through one having to eat shitty food! YMMV.

has anyone seen canned bacon? they used to sell canned hungarian bacon at KMART about 30 years ago. the stuff would probably last forever.
Yoder's bacon is pretty good stuff and lasts 10 years. It is not as good as fresh cooked, but that is to be expected.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Yoder's bacon is pretty good stuff and lasts 10 years. It is not as good as fresh cooked, but that is to be expected.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
the stuff i was getting was cured/lightly smoked and wrapped in was paper and loaded in a can. best packaged bacon i ever had.

My experience with Tuna is it starts to taste like the can after 2 years past expiration. It didn't seem to have lost nutritional value, but my kids woudn't eat it at that age. YMMV.

There's yoder's or...You can can your own if you are patient about it. My oldest (tested) home canned bacon is just under 2 years old. I haven't been able to keep it longer than that...because I eat it. The only changes I do from the recipe below is to use baking parchment paper, and to use 'thick cut' bacon, because it stands up better to the canning. The last time market basket had bacon on for 1.99/lb, I put up 6 batches from my pressure canner.

Instructions Here: http://www.paratusfamiliablog.com/search?q=bacon

As mentioned above, The fats in jerky go rancid, but pemmican stores much longer. Again, patience in making it: http://www.traditionaltx.us/images/PEMMICAN.pdf

Be very careful of how you season pemmican

Last edited:
I would second the getting a pressure canner and doing it yourself. Chicken Breast was on sale for $1.77/lb at Hannaford this week, run a canner load, 16 jars for 16lbs.

Home-canned meat lasts more or less forever, eventually it starts losing some structural integrity but if you keep it cool and out of the sun it lasts a long time. I've had meat that was 4-5 years old and still tasted fine.

I stock spam, tuna,beef stew and jerky. Also chicken turkey soup.
I'm fairly certain that the SPAM we ate with fried eggs every Sunday morning back in the 70s came from the same batch that my Dad ate while aboard the USS Topeka during WWII....

Funny thing is, in Dorchester we didn't know any better and thought it was delicious. Tasted even better leftover on Monday night "pot luck"... since Mom's food shopping day was Tuesday...(at Elm Farm in Uphams Corner, of course..)

I would second the getting a pressure canner and doing it yourself. Chicken Breast was on sale for $1.77/lb at Hannaford this week, run a canner load, 16 jars for 16lbs.

Home-canned meat lasts more or less forever, eventually it starts losing some structural integrity but if you keep it cool and out of the sun it lasts a long time. I've had meat that was 4-5 years old and still tasted fine.
This, it's better and cheaper making your own.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom