• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is your meat "Curing/Corning" recipe?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I've been thinking that I'm missing the ingredients to do my own Curing/Corning in my SHTF preparations. While I have a good amount of canned goods, there will always be the desire for fresh meat to add into the menu. While I have no quams hunting, the long term storage of meat without a freezer has me wondering what the process is to cure/corn meat. I've been Googling the items and there are curing salts and ingredients to dry or wet cure meat and I'm thinking of getting some of these items.

Wondering though if anyone does their own Curing/Corning and if so, what do you use, what time duration do you follow and how do you store your curing meat?

Salt type preservation is one method but I think it a SHTF scenario you would need a great deal of salt to store enough meat. I was thinking just last night that salt would be pretty valuable just as a seasoning. Unless you live near the ocean I am not sure how you would replenish your salt supply.

In my opinion it depends somewhat on where you currently live and if you have the luxury of building a smoke house. Once you have a structure you pretty much just need firewood. I have seen several decent videos on youtube of people building and utilizing a smoke house that is about the size of a telephone booth. They seem pretty efficient.

Last edited:
Have you considered biltong instead of jerky?

In its most basic recipe it’s vinegar and coriander then hang to dry. I haven’t made it myself but it is “on the list” to try.

Bob

I recently started makiny my own corned beef using a prime piece of meet, rather then buying some predone mystery pieces.... what a difference.

I think it depends how bad SHTF.. once submerged in the brine id imagine it could be kept there for a long time.. ive done a couple days to 10 days...i doubt it would be ideal after a month or two...at that point dry meat would be the way to go.

Just google corning beef... i dont use the pink salt or preservatives other than regular salt...other than that perhaps some vinegar and seasonings you just put it in the fridge...i like 3-5 days but thats more due to impatients..
Im thinking about trying it with venison this year..ill be doing venison jerky aswell..ive made 100s of pound of regular jerky and ready to try it with game.

You can buy 50 pound bags of white salt at the feed store for less than $8 a bag. I keep several hundred pounds. Smoking and biltong both require salt. Another thing you may want to look at is canning meat. It is very easy to do. It is the primary way we plan on storing meat if we have to. If the SHTF we fire up the canners and spend a few days canning up the freezer. Don't count on hunting post SHTF. There will be no game anywhere very quickly following a true SHTF. Without a huge reduction in the human population, it will be hunted out within a couple of weeks. Maybe you get lucky. I hope that I can pop or snare the couple deer that live behind immediately after the SHTF and throw them into the canner.

Back
Top Bottom