Value "Precision" rifle, which one?

You guys are reminding me of all the "other" stuff I need to buy... dies, chrono....

Bullet weights are interesting, I see a company recommended by Patriot Valley Arms uses 130gn bullets exclusively in their loads, but I see lots of people reloading 140+

Last edited:
Here are my results from the 147gr ELD-M, H4350, GM205M, Starline brass, annealed on the AMP annealer.
.28 MOA at 41.0gr, 2.133 ogive oal with Hornady 5-26 bullet bushing. Full length sized with Redding full length bushing die and .290 bushing, neck turned to .0135 wall thickness.
13 ES, 6.8 SD on velocity

Edit to add: on pic it says 40.0gr, it was 41.0 gr. Had a brain fart when I wrote the details on the target after. Everything else said 41.0gr and that was my load on all of these. This target was oal tweaking.

Attachments

• IMG_20180415_132141_133.jpg
    IMG_20180415_132141_133.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 28
6.8SD, 13ES and 0.28MOA Awesomeness.

Creedmoor, right? For the .290 bushing, how's the neck tension? Is that 1 thousandths? Also, curious about the 2.133 to ogive. Can you share the OAL of the cartridge or the your jump to the lands? Thanks.

.001 neck tension. 2.133 ogive is about 2.770 OAL. I'll have to look up my numbers to the lands tomorrow. I don't have the book on me. I went pmag length and worked down to the best group in.010 increments

.001 neck tension. 2.133 ogive is about 2.770 OAL. I'll have to look up my numbers to the lands tomorrow. I don't have the book on me. I went pmag length and worked down to the best group in.010 increments

Interesting, thank you.

I've been running 2.83 OAL, .289 bushing, 2.191 to ogive (Nosler RDF), factory barrel, Alpha brass, 40.2 gr H4350, ~0.047 jump. Produces ES ~= 20, SD ~= 6, V= 2675. Don't recall but MOA 0.5 or slightly less on this rifle but nothing near what you are seeing. Found a couple of nodes while working this up but they were not very wide. Might have to revisit this based on your results! Very encouraging.

Interesting, thank you.

I've been running 2.83 OAL, .289 bushing, 2.191 to ogive (Nosler RDF), factory barrel, Alpha brass, 40.2 gr H4350, ~0.047 jump. Produces ES ~= 20, SD ~= 6, V= 2675. Don't recall but MOA 0.5 or slightly less on this rifle but nothing near what you are seeing. Found a couple of nodes while working this up but they were not very wide. Might have to revisit this based on your results! Very encouraging.
Normally I would just count that group as luck but it consistently shoots better than .4 with Factory ammo not match grade and often .3 and I'm getting to the point now where I can call my shots with that scope and amazing Chevron reticle

Honestly? Everybody will tell you about Savage being the most accurate OOB. That is true only to a certain extent. You'll get better results with a stock rifle from Steyr. The SSG69 is a phenomenal shooter, although somewhat dated (but so is the REM 700). Thei SSG04 is a great shooter as well, from what I read. I think the secret is the barrel to receiver mating and highly precisely reamed chambers.

I got some ammo loaded up finally , tested today at 100 yards with a chronograph and also shot some factory Federal sierra matchkings 140 grain at 200 yards. Group of 5 at 200 yards best was 0.605". Pretty good for factory and that is why I chose to make my loads up using 140 grain Sierra MK HPBT also. I think I will go with 41 grains since the results were good at 20/1000 off lands. Best group of three was 0.198" but that was at 30/1000 off. I think the powder amount is more important than Ogive jump with my gun, so I will see how it goes. I found an 8 lb jug of H4350 locally. good stuff 200 yards group of 5.jpg

Got an update on my Patriot Valley Arms John Hancock - the first 8 receivers / builds might be ready before snow flies, or which I am highly likely within the first 50 or so to be delivered

Hope it’s been worth the wait

I was in the same situation just last week. After over a month of research I finally purchased a Savage Stealth in 6.5 Creedmoor. For optics I've had very good luck with Vortex glass and decided to go with their Viper PST Gen II 6-25x50 FFP MRAD scope w/ Vortex precision rings. I hope to have her put together and heading to the range by next weekend.

If you decide to go with the RPR I know a guy who's selling his for $925 on Armslist.

Got an update on my Patriot Valley Arms John Hancock - the first 8 receivers / builds might be ready before snow flies, or which I am highly likely within the first 50 or so to be delivered

Hope it’s been worth the wait

I've been very pleased with anything I've gotten from PVA. I don't think Josh would let anything out that wasn't good. I believe you'll find it worth the wait.

Back
Top Bottom