USPSA @ New Bedford Sunday 7/26

During the walk through we were told we did not have to push the popper over.
Were other squads told to push it over? If so I don't think that it would have added any time.

yes on stage 5 - I had a brain fart and got a proceedural - for some reason my mind told me to do an un needed mag change - ugh - that was a bad stage for me.
Yes, I think we were told to push over the popper, and no it doesn't add any time.

On five, I couldn't decide if I should shoot everything from box B (12 rounds) and then fire a poorly aimed shot as I stepped into B1 on my way to box C or shoot it legitimately.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Thanks for posting the vids Todd - although very frustrating watching my blaster choke again, and again!

Did anyone find a black Sig hat at the range after the match?
It seems that I lost it somewhere between Stage 2 and the parking lot.

Thanks for posting the vids Todd - although very frustrating watching my blaster choke again, and again!

Scott,
It looks like when you unloaded and showed clear, the round from the chamber fell down through the mag well. That's not a good sign, insufficient extractor tension.

That was a fun match! As usual, tons of shooting packed into the small bays. Makes the stages very challenging for me. I had a tough day. A few too many "Ds", a dropped mag on a reload, and bombed the classifier. But I had some fun...

On stage 5 I came into the first box shooting the first target and then continued to the second box to finish the remaining 5 targets in the array. It was fluid with continuous shooting and didn't seem to slow me down. Probably the only decent stage I had.

Nice vids and congrats on the wins guys!

Close 180 call. I engaged two targets and started to move and I noticed I missed one shot, so I put one more on it. The RO said it was close but he couldn't say for sure. I was pretty pissed at myself for even coming close.

Close to the 180 is fine. I shoot there all the time, its sometimes the best way to shoot a stage. 181 is not good. If you broke it, you go home, if you are at 180 then no worries

The RO said it was close but he couldn't say for sure.
It think I was the RO who made that call. Don't worry about it, you didn't scare anyone.

If I was sure, I would have made the call - but I don't make DQ calls on "maybes".

I guess I just assumed everyone heard the other shooter saying it was a definite 180 violation. It felt like the walk of shame on my way back to my bag.

Sorry, what other shooters see doesn't count. Maybe is was; maybe it wasn't. An RO can't make a call like that based on "best guess" - he has to be certain, and I wasn't.

As to "walk of shame" - I misjudged a shooting position at the previous New Bedford match and got a DQ for breaking the 180, so I have walked that path myself. Nothing about your shooting made me nervous to be on the range with you, so relax, and look forward to the next match.

Last edited:
The thing is, it is up to the RO to call it. If he had thought you had broken it he would have stopped you right there. No call - no penalty. Don't sweat it.

Just keep in mind how close you were and in the future be aware of the potential for it to happen in certain spots when you break down your stages. Proceed cautiously on those targets when necessary.

FWIW- some of the best shooters in the world have broken the 180 (not that I am saying it is O.K.). Everyone is in high gear and trying to perform at the edge of their ability so the potential is there.

Last edited:
Just keep in mind how close you were and in the future be aware of the potential for it to happen in certain spots when you break down your stages. Proceed cautiously on those targets when necessary.

I definitely learn something at every match. I will take this advice. Since I'm moving a little faster now, I'll have to be more carefull about make up shots when I'm on the move.

The stage designs at New Bedford are getting better everytime.

A couple of things:

Bill I have your Sig hat . We also found a Ruger hat.

Dan S a big THANK YOU for your observation. Would it also produce inconsistent ejection e.g; some rounds come out the side of the ejection port perfectly and others come out high (indicated by hitting the scope mount that I'd painted with blue Sharpy)?

Also: Although (thanks school marm) a lot of us post here, there are a bunch of guys that don't come to this forum that do a ton of work: Dave B (who got the results out in record time - I know a lot of you really appreciated that), Dave C. (who showed up to set up the classfier and RO, even though he couldn't shoot), Fred V (You all know what he does), Lori, Neal, and Steve (they set up stage 1 - And I loved that stage - Thanks!), Rob C (who set up stage 4 - and I promise, next month you'll get all the walls you want), Doug B (who set up Stage 5), Dennis G (we set up stage 3 together), and all you guys and girls that helped RO, score, tape, and now, post video. The vids are some of the coolest things to come out of USPSA matches. Gotta love the 'net!

As always, the best thing about USPSA is the people, THANK YOU!

Last edited:
Yes, I think we were told to push over the popper, and no it doesn't add any time.

Sure it does, you're stepping away from the popper, and turning around, pushing it requires your hands to move away, not towards your gun during this time, and it makes needless noise when it falls, someone is gonna have to pick that up.

Dan S a big THANK YOU for your observation. Would it also produce inconsistent ejection e.g; some rounds come out the side of the ejection port perfectly and others come out high (indicated by hitting the scope mount that I'd painted with blue Sharpy)?

Scott,
It will give inconsistent ejection. I'm a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. principal, why take a one piece extractor and replace it with a system of 5 parts, (the firing pin stop must be modified, hence the inclusion)? Don't tell me that the Aftec doesn't need adjusting, and never breaks. Everything mechanical is subject to failure. The only thing that never breaks is the object that never gets used.

Sure it does, you're stepping away from the popper, and turning around, pushing it requires your hands to move away, not towards your gun during this time, and it makes needless noise when it falls, someone is gonna have to pick that up.
I don't know Matt, it was only a few inches and you didn't have to push with your gun hand. If there was a difference the difference, it was very small.

Respectfully,
jkelly

I don't know Matt, it was only a few inches and you didn't have to push with your gun hand. If there was a difference the difference, it was very small.

Respectfully,
jkelly

I bet the difference is 2/10ths of a sec, which is a lot. I'll put it on a timer tomorrow and see

Back
Top Bottom