• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

USPSA @ New Bedford Sunday 7/26

Hey guys,

The match is at NB this Sunday, correct? For some reason the link to the Area 7 page goes to one of the club sites and I can't get over to the schedule page.

Anyway... I want to shoot the match but I need to be back in Gloucester for a suprise B-Day party at 4:00. To those who are setting the match up this month- what time do you think we may be out of there?

Scott? Dave? Rob? Anybody?

Thanks!

The 4th Sunday is New Bedford's for monthly matches.
The Area 7 site is now working. It has changed too.

Last edited:
I have it on my calendar for this Sunday as well. I think you could make it but of course is depends on how many show...

I'll be there. I hope they setup one of the Area 7 stages like Manville did last week, just not that "How fast is too fast" nightmare even though it looks like the perfect practice stage.

Mike and I practiced that this morning at 45 yds.....I couldn't shoot it clean! I hope it is allot closer. At least I got my gun sighted in. [rolleyes]

Yup, NB is this weekend, Matt. We are done around 1ish. If it starts getting late, I am sure the last squad will let you shoot through so you can get out of there.

Mike and I practiced that this morning at 45 yds.....I couldn't shoot it clean! I hope it is allot closer. At least I got my gun sighted in. [rolleyes]

45 yds is a heck of a long shot for A zone only shots... especially around cover. Heck at Harvard most of the pits are 35 yds max. Freestyle I was doing ok at 35 yds... but that extra 10 yds would be a killer!

Funny- they posted the distances for some of the stages but not for How Fast is Too Fast. How far was it at Manville?

The New Bedford USPSA match will take place, as scheduled, this Sunday 7/26/09. As usual we will have 5 stages of approximately 125 rounds (bring more). Hope to see all our friends Sunday. Area 7 is just around the corner folks - so we'll give you some practice for that match. If you've been thinking about going to a USPSA match for the first time - stop thinking about it and come on out. In case you haven't noticed, August is just around the corner.

Anyway... I want to shoot the match but I need to be back in Gloucester for a suprise B-Day party at 4:00. To those who are setting the match up this month- what time do you think we may be out of there?

Scott? Dave? Rob? Anybody?

Thanks!

hell yeah you'll be out of there in time, this isn't an idpa match where you'll leave at 5 and still not have shot 2 stages

We've never left new bedford later than 130, and its typically earlier. scott and the crew do a real good efficient job running NB

hell yeah you'll be out of there in time, this isn't an idpa match where you'll leave at 5 and still not have shot 2 stages

You can't let the IDPA thing go huh?[rolleyes] It was a classifier and 4 additional stages... like 2 matches for $20. We had double the people we usually get. I hope you don't have the misfortune of running into any problems like that.

O.K. I'll see "yous guys" there.

BTW we are ALL going to shoot a CLEAN match out in NY, right?

Dont worry about the pesky A-Zone - Too Fast stage or any other stage. We can all shoot A's - so just shoot it and don't sweat it.

You can't let the IDPA thing go huh?[rolleyes] It was a classifier and 4 additional stages... like 2 matches for $20. We had double the people we usually get. I hope you don't have the misfortune of running into any problems like that.

nope.
Not when I've run matches with over 80 people on a three pit range with 5 stages and had everyone out and the range cleaned by 230
I feel bad for the shooters who were stuck and had to leave prior to finishing a match, that shouldn't happen.

nope.
Not when I've run matches with over 80 people on a three pit range with 5 stages and had everyone out and the range cleaned by 230
I feel bad for the shooters who were stuck and had to leave prior to finishing a match, that shouldn't happen.

You're right. It shouldn't happen and it's unfortunate it did. It was ambitious to try to do as much as we did with the set up we had. The classifier is 90 rounds (14 strings itself) and 4 other stages for a total of about 150+ rounds. We tried to get a classifier in since we had a ton of new shooters that needed to classify for the NER and we wanted to add some scenario stages to make it fun for others. Either way we're still learning and trying to improve. Our attendance has been increasing and we're getting lots of new shooters. It's too bad that instead of trying to help improve and grow the action/practical shooting community for the benefit of everyone, some decide to pick on a couple of isolated problems...

EDIT: Scott/NB team- sorry for taking this OT.

Last edited:
Dave,
The problem is starts. If the classifier was 14 separate starts, that'l all you should have run. If there were swingers or other props to be reset, it drags things down too. On top of that, you mentioned a lot of newer shooters, another reason to keep it simple.

Dave,
The problem is starts. If the classifier was 14 separate starts, that'l all you should have run. If there were swingers or other props to be reset, it drags things down too. On top of that, you mentioned a lot of newer shooters, another reason to keep it simple.
+1
I think most of the shooters in my squad (maybe 16 or so) were inexperienced which, on a Classifier, takes a tremendous amount of time. To their credit, the SOs were very thorough with the newer shooters.

Respectfully,
jkelly

+1
I think most of the shooters in my squad (maybe 16 or so) were inexperienced which, on a Classifier, takes a tremendous amount of time. To their credit, the SOs were very thorough with the newer shooters.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Yeah- the classifier itself for 60 shooters is a good day's work. Live and learn.

Dave,

Yep, its like 14 extra stages.

nope.

Matt,
Considering your last match had a whopping 72 rounds,
Everyone should be home by 2:30!
Did you ever consider, you matches are so short, that it's not worth the 2 1/2hour one way ride some of us are willing to take?

These Metro guys tried real hard to put on a great show & DID!
160 rounds and the same ride for me as Manville!
I knew what I was getting into, based on the COF.

Why comment about a match you did not attend in a sport you refuse to participate in?

In the past, Harvard USPSA as run almost as long in my experience (3:30).

Got any primer paste?[laugh2]

Last edited:
BTW: New Bedfford is having a USPSA match Sunday. Shooters meeting at 9:20, start @ 9:30. We should be done by 1 - 1:30 the latest.

Dave,

+1 It takes just as long to give a shooter the starting commands as it does to shoot the entire course of fire. One start per stage; anything else is an invitation to disaster.

Matt, Considering your last match had a whopping 72 rounds, Everyone should be home by 2:30! Did you ever consider, you matches are so short, that it's not worth the 2 1/2hour one way ride so of us are willing to take? These Metro guys tried real hard to put on a great show & DID! 160 rounds and the same ride for me as Manville! I knew what I was getting into, based on the COF. Why comment about a match you did not attend in a sport you refuse to participate in? In the past, Harvard USPSA as run almost as long in my experience (3:30). Got any primer paste?[laugh2]

Little edit there John? Think I didn't see that already? I was kinda shocked with that coming out of you, I thought, he must be kidding right?
But since you took it out, I guess you weren't.

I'll feel the need to comment on a match and a sport I didn't participate in just like I'll comment on anything else I know plenty about. John, how long have I been running matches? I know the greatests thing to discourage people from shooting and showing up are backups and delays. Matches need to be run efficiently. It's not hard to figure out how to do it. Nearly all the clubs do it now. You're talking about Harvard USPSA lasting until 330, on those rare occassions when they did, EVERYONE finished all the stages.
So lets not ignore that little tidbit of information. It's kind of significant.

If you want to talk about the whopping 72 rounds at Manville last week, that's fair, but my comment previously was about a match about 4 or 5 years ago where we put 80+ people through it, not last week, we "only" had 55 people on 3 squads. Last week everyone was gone and everything was picked up by 1 at the latest, oh, and the scores were done by 7. That was with me having to go home from the range, clean up, change and go to a friends wake. If you want me to double the rounds, find me the space for it at Manville, and I'll do it, and I'll have everyone out of there by 2. So don't even bother to preach to me.

Furthermore, I wouldn't have even bothered to raise the issue a second time if someone didn't roll their eyes about the delay being mentioned.
And I'm left thinking, honestly, why are grown men, using smiley faces everywhere? What the hell is that?

I have plenty of friends who shoot IDPA, and I'd do it if there was enough days in the week, no conflicts, and the matches were efficient. But the first hand accounts I've got from a number of different people are- delays after delays, and having to leave without finishing. I was even approached today about the delays regarding the winter nationals. Some people prefer to remain anonymous about it and not bring it up, because they get shunned because they complained about it. I'm not worried about that.

If the metro west guys are trying, having recently started up over there, I applaud them, good for you people, and good luck. But don't take my criticism as a lone voice of someone who doesn't show up. It's valid, and your attendance is thinking the same thing, you want to grow your attendance, become efficient.

Here are some tips that we've implemented to run our matches efficiently, this may help you guys.
1- be sure you have balanced numbers of competitors on squads.
2- discuss what is being set up well in advance of the match, Saturday is too late. Discuss it during the week, include everyone involved in set up and running it, and come up with a plan so the stages and starts are balanced.
3- Keep in mind it's typical that it will take 5 minutes per shooter from start to finish and resetting the stage, plan accordingly.
4- multiple starts often lead to problems without preplanning, resetting movers also requires more time.
5- you break when you're done. This isn't cowboy action, everyone isn't stopping for lunch.
6- make sure your squad is doing their part in taping/brassing/resetting.

So, back on topic, New Bedford is tomorrow, and I have a nice big cup of STFU getting warm, seems John ordered me one. Yummy.

Back
Top Bottom