Using your extra gun locks to lock your ammo cans.

DSCN2812.jpg

I wanted to install some locks on a few of my ammo cans so I Googled the Net for some suggestions. There were a few real decent ones that looked interesting and inexpensive so I made a mental note of what they used and how they fabricated them.

On my ammo cans I wanted to utilize the extra gun locks (trigger locks) that I had laying around. When I finally bought a couple gun cabinets to lock my guns in I didn’t need to use the trigger locks any longer, except when taking a few extra guns to the range at times.

By changing the hardware somewhat from the “do it yourself” ammo can locks I saw on the Net I was able to use my gun locks for the ammo cans and save having to buy yet another set of locks just for the ammo cans. (yes I’m [STRIKE]cheap[/STRIKE] frugal) [grin]

acl222.jpg

It only takes a few minutes to install one of these rascals once you have the hardware and tools ready. Just drill the 5/16 hole and clean up the edges before adding the hardware.

acl333.jpg

SKYSEAL2t.jpg

ETA: It wouldn't hurt to dab a little silicone sealer on the threads to make sure the area is doubly sealed.

acl888.jpg

acl999.jpg

Use the center hole of the lid-locking-lever for a template and then mark the center of that for the place to drill the hole.

acl444.jpg
acl555.jpg
acl666.jpg

If your taking a number of the ammo cans to a site you can remove the locks and run a cable lock through the eye-bolt holes and secure it to the truck, van or whatever. It should help keep them secured in the same area even bouncing over rough roads.​

acl777.jpg

For very little cash and not much work I have some very decent locking ammo cans that I can put to good use and the locks are tighter than some that use a padlock.
[coffee]

Last edited:
sadly my ammo cans have a different "latch". It just has a hole in the center, not a line like yours. +1 though!

*** PLEASE DISREGARD MY ADVICE HERE - IT JUST CANNOT DO THE JOB AS STATED! [slap] ***

Exousia's (post #9) has a good way of locking the cans only you wont be able to utilize the gun locks.

[STRIKE]
lord1234 ~ I found that I also have some of the same "one small hole" in the center ammo cans. I'm going to purchase the same eye-bolts only a little longer shaft (maybe half or three-quarter inch) so that it will fit without having too much overlap on the inside. You could probably do the same. Good luck.​
[/STRIKE]

Last edited:

RichM ~ Dirtypacman ~ MassMark ~ ochmude ~ lord1234

Thank you for the kind words folks. Two items came together for me and I was fortunate enough to kill two birds with one stone with this project.​

sadly my ammo cans have a different "latch". It just has a hole in the center, not a line like yours. +1 though!

Here's what I did to lock the cans with just a small hole:

DSC_6530.jpg

I bought a six pack of small keyed-alike locks from WalMart and use them on all my ammo cans.

I then bought hasps from Home Depot.

DSC_6535.jpg

I only use the part of the hasp that holds the lock and it nicely fits through the hole in the handle of the can.

I attach it to the can with pop rivets.

DSC_6533.jpg

Notice that I use a spacer to lift the hasp up so that it extends entirely out of the hole. The spacer is smply a piece of wood (actually a part of a wooden ruler that perfectly fit).

The only installation tip I would give is, the alignment of the hasp pin is critical so it fits through the hole. I used double sided tape to hold the hasp pin and wooden spacer while I drilled the hole for the pop rivet.

Notice the holes in the hasp are large so there is some play to allow alignment. Since the holes are large I used washers under the pop rivet heads.

Do you seal or silicone the screw holes or eye bolt holes when doing this to keep the desirable airtight and waterproof characteristics of the can?

So far I haven't because the pop rivets seem to make a tight seal. I have however been thinking of using a glob of epoxy on the inside to completely seal the rivets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstickfightx
Do you seal or silicone the screw holes or eye bolt holes when doing this to keep the desirable airtight and waterproof characteristics of the can?

Quote:
So far I haven't because the pop rivets seem to make a tight seal. I have however been thinking of using a glob of epoxy on the inside to completely seal the rivets.

The two rubber washers that I use flatten out when the nut is tightened on the eye-bolt and seals the area tight around the threads and hole. Even with the tight seal I was going to dab on some silicone sealer on that area but what I had at hand was old and not in good enough shape to be used. I will get a small tube of sealer and dab a little on the threads and hole just to be double sure it stays sealed. Thanks for the question xstickfightx, I should have mentioned this in my original post, perhaps I’ll go back and edit it in.​

Back
Top Bottom