• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

USAA

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
I've been thinking that I'd like to sign up for a USAA credit card.

I went online to apply for the card, filled out the forms and was told the CC was approved and would be sent out immediately.

Then it said I needed to set up a USAA account online so I could access my account, make payments, etc.

Upon registering, setting up a user ID, PW, etc, it said I needed to provide them with a copy of my DD214 or my discharge cert. No way am I sending my DD214, so I uploaded my "Honorable Discharge" certificate and got into my account.

Next day I tried to login and it said that I was locked out for security reasons and to try again or call the tel number listed. I forgot about it until today when my new CC arrived telling me to login to activate it. I tried, still locked out.

So I called the number, spoke to a guy who said that I needed to send them my DD214, a utility bill with my name on it, my SS card and a Medicare card, if I had one, to activate my account. This was AFTER I sent in my Discharge Cert. He said it was a Federal regulation.

NFW was I going to do that. Screw them, and I politely told him to go to hell.

My newly received CC went in the wood stove.

BTW, they say they're for service people, but USAA stands for United Service Automobile Association.

Beware.

I went online to apply for the card, filled out the forms and was told the CC was approved and would be sent out immediately.

Then it said I needed to set up a USAA account online so I could access my account, make payments, etc.

Upon registering, setting up a user ID, PW, etc, it said I needed to provide them with a copy of my DD214 or my discharge cert. No way am I sending my DD214, so I uploaded my "Honorable Discharge" certificate and got into my account.

Next day I tried to login and it said that I was locked out for security reasons and to try again or call the tel number listed. I forgot about it until today when my new CC arrived telling me to login to activate it. I tried, still locked out.

So I called the number, spoke to a guy who said that I needed to send them my DD214, a utility bill with my name on it, my SS card and a Medicare card, if I had one, to activate my account. This was AFTER I sent in my Discharge Cert. He said it was a Federal regulation.

BTW, they say they're for service people, but USAA stands for United Service Automobile Association.

Beware.

I've been banking with them for years. Exceptional service. VERY in tune with the needs of servicemen and flexible with deployments. Very low interest rates on credit cards and loans. I don't use them for insurance because they were higher than my credit union.

Very well worth it and I recommend them to anyone.

I've been banking with them for years. Exceptional service. VERY in tune with the needs of servicemen and flexible with deployments. Very low interest rates on credit cards and loans. I don't use them for insurance because they were higher than my credit union.

This, I have started carrying over all my banking to them, mortgage, car loan, car and home insurance, and general banking so far. I am quite happy with them, although I signed up years ago while I was in, and don't recall what I had to do to verify my service.

I also have been very happy with USAA. They were less $ per year on our homeowners and car insurance this year when we shopped than Progressive.

Very happy with them as well, have been using them since active duty. Can't remember what I used to open the account. Love the ability to deposit checks from my phone. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with them. AFAIK, most banks ask you for the exact same items (minus the DD-214). When someone asks for a copy of mine, I have a redacted one all set up in PDF for them.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I wasn't asked to send ONE of the items, I was told I needed to sent ALL of the documents.

Martlet, what did you provide them with?

I honestly don't remember. I've been with them forever. I'm 100% positive that I didn't send them all that crap. I'd call the main number and ask to speak with a manager.

Beware.

You get to do whatever you want to with these guys, but by deciding not to do business with them you are passing up one of the most standup, squared-away operations on the planet. They make the entire consumer financial services industry look brain-dead.

It's because you are a Vietnam Vet, and everybody knows we lost the war and are a bunch of losers!

[laugh2]

Last edited:

This as well.... I have had everything (house insurance, car insurance, credit card etc) with them since 1972.... Signed up while I was on active duty so didn't need much in the way of documentation but have all of my kids as members as well... Great service and very good rates.... IMO best financial service company out there....

Beware.

The problem is you're old and stubborn. Send them a redacted DD-214 and call it a day. As we all know, a non-original DD-214 doesn't mean shit anyway. Also, anyone can look up your military service records. They are public record. I have nothing bad to say about USAA or Navy Federal. I have accounts with both. Good luck.

It's because you are a Vietnam Vet, and everybody knows we lost the war and are a bunch of losers!

[laugh2]

you're probably right !

The problem is you're old and stubborn. Send them a redacted DD-214 and call it a day. As we all know, a non-original DD-214 doesn't mean shit anyway. Also, anyone can look up your military service records. They are public record. I have nothing bad to say about USAA or Navy Federal. I have accounts with both. Good luck.

old, stubborn, you got that right.

Service records are NOT public record. They can only be accessed by the veteran or their next of kin....or by written permission of the vet.

Even your local Veteran's Service Officer in Ma. can't get them without your written permission on a govt authorization form.

Last edited:
I started using them when I was still in, nothing but good experiences. They need your DD-214 to verify your service, doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

I've been a member of USAA since 1970. Damn, longer than some of you have been alive! Signed up while I was in and never had to send them any of that stuff. The only reason I don't have auto insurance with them now is that when I moved to this state they seemed to want me to be classified in the highest rating and then work my way down year by year. Anyone here remember the way Mass used to classify you by years of safe driving?

Anyways, a local company offered to give me the lowest rate right away (based on my years of accident and ticket free driving) so I have been with a Mass company ever since.

I'll bet that the DD214 is to establish your eligibility to join USAA. Just a guess.

Online they asked for my DD214 or my discharge paper, that was all. I sent them the discharge cert.

Then they wanted ALL the stuff I listed. They asked for my SS# which I gave them on the online application, but then they said wanted a photo of the actual card. Who has EVER asked you for the actual card?

They said if I couldn't show them my card, which I haven't seen since 1962, I could contact the SS Admin to get a replacement. I said I've never needed it so , no. Then he said I could send them a copy of my mortgage or I could send them a copy of my last tax return. I said no to both. They then said I could contact the IRS and get a statement from them with my name/address on it.

Does this sound like they're trying to validate my service to you?

All this AFTER they sent me the credit card.

I have nothing to hide but screw them.

Last edited:

Honestly? Yes. The discharge certificate that you hang on the wall (DD-256) is not meant to be used to validate service. That's what the DD-214 is for.

I don't understand your reluctance to let them see your DD-214. You already gave them your name, social, and discharge type. Isn't the only other stuff on there where you enlisted and what awards you earned?

Anyway, USAA is legit. They've been around almost 100 years at this point.

old, stubborn, you got that right.

Service records are NOT public record. They can only be accessed by the veteran or their next of kin....or by written permission of the vet.

Even your local Veteran's Service Officer in Ma. can't get them without your written permission on a govt authorization form.

Yes and no. If anyone has filed their DD-214 at the local courthouse or town clerk a FOIA request can get it unless the town has enacted laws against such a thing.

Anyway, don't miss out with USAA. Well, worth it as many have already mentioned.

did you try to go into a local office and square that away or was that even an option? there used to be one in Braintree Ma. that i'd go into when i had issues.

I would call back and try again. I don't remember providing a DD214 but I was active at the time and probably verified a different way. The photo of the SS card is weird I definitely didn't do that.

Online they asked for my DD214 or my discharge paper, that was all. I sent them the discharge cert.

Then they wanted ALL the stuff I listed. They asked for my SS# which I gave them on the online application, but then they said wanted a photo of the actual card. Who has EVER asked you for the actual card?

They said if I couldn't show them my card, which I haven't seen since 1962, I could contact the SS Admin to get a replacement. I said I've never needed it so , no. Then he said I could send them a copy of my mortgage or I could send them a copy of my last tax return. I said no to both. They then said I could contact the IRS and get a statement from them with my name/address on it.

All this AFTER they sent me the credit card.

I have nothing to hide but screw them.

Then don't get the account.

Walk into citizens bank and see what they require. I'm willing to bet it's the same stuff.

I hear you about not needing thee ss card. I shredded mine right after I got my first mil Id. Then when I came to work for the company I'm at, they required to see the Ssn. Why? Because it's part of the DHS hire right or whatever it is to make sure you're not illegal.

The mortgage statement or irs statement is probably to shows residency.that's still a requirement for getting a bank account.

YMMV. I love my USAA account. No fee checking, interest bearing savings and checking, low interest credit card, online check depositing etc.

I've been with USAA since 1966 (going on 48 years) and use most of their offered services to include credit card, checking, auto and home insurance and investments. Over that period of time, I've had several claims both for home and auto and have not one bad thing to say about them. I've found them to be ultimately responsive and quarrel free.

Pilgrim, I'd take the advice and try speaking with them again. Something is amiss.

I'll add my support for USAA. They called me out of the blue a few years ago because they found they could offer me better auto insurance coverage for less money and wanted my permission to change it.

My insurance company actually called me for my permission to pay them less money for more coverage.

That doesn't generally happen.

Back
Top Bottom