• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

USAA

Question: Is USAA available to former DoD civilians? Or is it uniform-only?

"Who is eligible (for USAA membership)?

Active, retired and honorably separated officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. military.
Officer candidates in commissioning programs (Academy, ROTC, OCS/OTS).
Adult children whose eligible parents have or had a USAA auto or property insurance product.1
Widows and widowers of USAA members who have or had a USAA auto or property insurance policy."

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/pub_eligibility_task_entry?akredirect=true

I've been thinking that I'd like to sign up for a USAA credit card.

I went online to apply for the card, filled out the forms and was told the CC was approved and would be sent out immediately.

Then it said I needed to set up a USAA account online so I could access my account, make payments, etc.

Upon registering, setting up a user ID, PW, etc, it said I needed to provide them with a copy of my DD214 or my discharge cert. No way am I sending my DD214, so I uploaded my "Honorable Discharge" certificate and got into my account.

Next day I tried to login and it said that I was locked out for security reasons and to try again or call the tel number listed. I forgot about it until today when my new CC arrived telling me to login to activate it. I tried, still locked out.

So I called the number, spoke to a guy who said that I needed to send them my DD214, a utility bill with my name on it, my SS card and a Medicare card, if I had one, to activate my account. This was AFTER I sent in my Discharge Cert. He said it was a Federal regulation.

NFW was I going to do that. Screw them, and I politely told him to go to hell.

My newly received CC went in the wood stove.

BTW, they say they're for service people, but USAA stands for United Service Automobile Association.

Beware.

Your Discharge Certificate is a fancy piece of paper, nothing more and if you think not, you have been deluded for decades I'm sorry to say. A DD Form 214 is the real document associated with military service. Why you wouldn't send them a copy is beyond me. If you think it's because of your ASA Service it really doesn't matter at this point. I find it difficult to believe that you have not had to show your DD Form 214 sometime in your life for something.

I don't know much about USAA but the people that I know who use it are satisfied customers.

Like me, I think you are just acting your age which old guys like us do sometimes. We like being pissy old farts, good for the circulation you know. [wink]

Last edited:
This, I have started carrying over all my banking to them, mortgage, car loan, car and home insurance, and general banking so far. I am quite happy with them, although I signed up years ago while I was in, and don't recall what I had to do to verify my service.

Ditto, had the insurance for decades, just go the card this year, I guess since I was already on file they did not need anything.

Let me tell you guys about my experience with USAA and why they have earned a customer for life.

I have had USAA since 1999, my first year of Military service. My brother told me to join( he was already in for a few years) once I got to my first duty station. So I followed his advice. Signed up for car insurance, renters insurance and a credit card.

Fast forward to 2005. I was still a member and 30 days away from being discharged. I drove one of my Jeeps home to MA from NC and started to get thing setup here. While in MA, I got into a very small accident with sone dipshit that didn't speak English ( or at leadt claimed not to) didn't damage my car, or his but he claimed whiplash anyways and the ambulance carted him away. Called USAA and the said they'd take care of it.

Couple of days later I fly back to NC to get the other Jeep and pack up my house. Friend picked me up at the airport and brought me home. We'll guess what, some other dirtbag broke into my house and stole everything I owned. The other Jeep was gone, washer/dryer, all my tools, two big screen TVs, computers...Everything!! This is how the conversation with USAA went

me: I'd like to file a claim
Agent: sir, I see you have a claim for last week for a auto accident
me: yes, this is a new claim. My house was broken into, my other Jeep is gone and everything I owned is stolen.
Agent: oh my god, what can I get for you? I can wire you some cash, get you a rental car, arrange for a hotel. Tell me what you need.

The whole process went like that. They really understood my situation with separating from active duty, moving, trying to find a new home while dealing with all this mess. Made all kinds of exceptions and really helped me out.

Customer service is huge to me and USAA always delivers. I've used almost all of their services at one time or another and have always been happy.

To the OP, times have changed and just opening a simple banking account anywhere requires too much paperwork. A USAA account is worth it though. Just get it done..

Meh, I've used them for the past few years. They're nice all right, but in the end, they're still a bank. Maybe a little better than others, but still a bank.

I am starting to get annoyed at places that make a big deal out of "supporting the troops". I'm getting grumpier as I age, I guess.

I've been with USAA since 1979, mainly for auto & home insurance. They've always bent over backwards to be helpful. I set up a bank account with them a few years ago and have been very happy. One nice deal is that USAA charges no ATM fees amd refunds fees paid to local ATMs.

I don't remember what I sent in to set up my initial USAA membership, as I was eligible from my father's membership.

My kids now each have their own USAA accounts.

Last edited:
If you are no longer in the military, they need a copy of your DD-214 to verify service. The reason they probably wanted to see all that other stuff is because you declined to show them the DD-214. For anything that requires service verification, the DD-214 is what is requested, be in a job application, Maine pistol license, you name it.

Like most people here, I have been pleased with USAA. They are easy to deal with and their customer service has always been helpful. I use my debit card as my primary method of paying for things.Well one day I missed a call from them, and didn't call back. Turns out, they suspected fraudulent activity on my card and locked it. I found this out Friday night. I was heading overseas on Sunday morning. They got a new card to me by Saturday.

I've been with them 10 years now and have used just about all of their services. Their insurance has been a little more than some other companies but the service I've experienced is second to none.

I'd take a little extra time to go through their steps and join. I think you'll be happy in the end.

The reason they probably wanted to see all that other stuff is because you declined to show them the DD-214.

nope, they asked for EITHER my DD214 OR my discharge cert.

A phone bill, mortgage statement, Social security card (not just the number), or Medicare card, will not verify my service. They didn't want just one of the above, they wanted ALL of the above.

I've had nothing but good customer service with USAA.

And I show my DD 214 to just about anyone who asks for it. I've never had a problem with that and I can't imagine what sort of problems it would cause, apart from showing my SSN, but banks and such already get that anyway.

Opening any new bank account requires a social security card, as far as I can tell - I needed them for my kids when I opened their accounts.

I didn't have to supply any proof and I opened my account there 3 years ago. I use them for banking, credit card, car insurance( saved me 1400+ a year) and house insurance. The customer service for me has been amazing especially after my accident. You may have just got a douche over the phone, sorry for your bad experience.

A minor GFY to USAA. My son (at Bragg) was/did buy a new car from a dealership in Raleigh. He funded the car, and with my help, helped him navigate the negotiations, insurance, and financing of said vehicle. He has no bad credit, just limited credit. USAA offered 12% on the new car loan - wouldn't budge - and the dealership gave him 5% (when he presented a copy of his BA in business diploma). Not too ****ing impressed.

A minor GFY to USAA. My son (at Bragg) was/did buy a new car from a dealership in Raleigh. He funded the car, and with my help, helped him navigate the negotiations, insurance, and financing of said vehicle. He has no bad credit, just limited credit. USAA offered 12% on the new car loan - wouldn't budge - and the dealership gave him 5% (when he presented a copy of his BA in business diploma). Not too ****ing impressed.

I think that is something going on with them right now. I have a car loan through them from 2 years ago that was decent, I applied for one 2 weeks ago and it was 15%. I went to my local credit union, 3.5%.

I think that is something going on with them right now. I have a car loan through them from 2 years ago that was decent, I applied for one 2 weeks ago and it was 15%. I went to my local credit union, 3.5%.

12% for no credit. 15% for good credit. LOL Can't imagine the rate on marginal/bad credit (don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out)

12% for no credit. 15% for good credit. LOL Can't imagine the rate on marginal/bad credit (don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out)

USAA is great for insurance, credit card, but for young ones in the military (well, sailors and Marines anyway) the best place to go for a car loan was always Navy Federal Credit Union.

So? He has limited credit.
I work for a credit union. Our First Time Buyer program is set at 12%, After 6 months proving he can make on time payments he can refinance for a better rate.
Not sure what a diploma has to do with credit though.

USAA is great for insurance, credit card, but for young ones in the military (well, sailors and Marines anyway) the best place to go for a car loan was always Navy Federal Credit Union.

Damn near anyone can become a NFCU member these days.

This is good advice.

From the USAA website (the tabs don't seem to want to line up for me)(where credit report indicates problems, rates are about 5% more):

New Car Auto Loan Rates

Excellent Credit Profile (Tab is Active)

Vehicle Rates 2014 to 2016 with Excellent Credit Profile

Rates are subject to change. To qualify for our lowest loan rates, you must have excellent credit and sign up for automatic payments. The following APRs include a 0.25% discount if you use automatic payments on this loan.

Vehicle Rates for Excellent Credit Profile

Loan Term Less than $15,000 $15-24,999 $25,000 or more
12 Months 1.79% 1.79% 1.79%
24 Months 1.79% 1.79% 1.79%
36 Months 1.79% 1.79% 1.79%
48 Months 2.25% 2.25% 2.25%
60 Months 2.25% 2.25% 2.25%
72 Months Not Available 2.49% 2.49%
84 Months Not Available Not Available 3.49%

Agreed, that was where I got my first car loan back in 1974.....

Heard a lot of good reports about USAA. Last year when my home owners ins was up I gave them a shot at a quote. The price was triple what I was currently paying, disappointed I passed.

I think that one of the few weaknesses of USAA is this. They are not competitive with local companies in the home insurance area. I had USAA home insurance for many years, then got a quote from a local company which was about half of what I was paying. When USAA asked why I was leaving them I told them, politely but firmly.

I faxed them my DD-214 and the coverage selections pages for my auto insurance, home owners, travel trailer, and umbrella policies with the pricing blacked out for a quote 2 weeks ago. I provided my home number and email for the quotes and questions.

Not a peep from them in two weeks.

Bob

That is unusual, they have been pretty prompt with me in the past. You may want to check with whomever you sent them to, a follow-up call so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom