upgrading my 10/22

i disassembled my 1st 10/22 that my father gave to me on my 7th birthday. it started jamming after years of use. it was put on the back burner because, again my father bought me another 10/22 on my 21st birthday. after getting it stripped down and seeing how filthy it was i started thinking about sprucing it up a bit. i always thought i had been a good shot with it but ide like to see how much better i can get with it. im also going to install a bull barrel instead of the stock barrel that came with it.

i would like to know if any one has bought these and if there worth it?

http://powercustom.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=81
http://powercustom.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=462

also is this site a decent place to buy?

if anyone has there parts ide like to know how you like them, or if there any better quality parts out there.

Those parts are nice, but most are not needed for accuracy. I would get a Green Mountain bull barrel, they are inexpensive and shoot great, get a power custom or volquartzen hammer and possibly a sear to go with it. Thats all you will need for now, as your skill and experience growes, you can upgrade more parts

Don't be oversold on Titanium components (especially for a 10/22), you won't gain if any benefit or accuracy from them.

Volquartsen makes a nice trigger pack that'll make an amazing difference with any stock 10/22.

https://www.volquartsen.com/vc//pages/public/ListFams.jsp?id=8

(check Brownells or Midway USA).

The bolt is unnecessary, as is the extended bolt handle and extended mag release included in the trigger kit (nice to have for ease of operation, but adds nothing to accuracy).

Check (search), the "Firearms, Equipment, and Ammo" forum. there's all sorts of 10/22 improvement tips and suggestions posted there.

Don't be oversold on Titanium components (especially for a 10/22), you won't gain if any benefit or accuracy from them.

Volquartsen makes a nice trigger pack that'll make an amazing difference with any stock 10/22.

https://www.volquartsen.com/vc//pages/public/ListFams.jsp?id=8

(check Brownells or Midway USA).

The bolt is unnecessary, as is the extended bolt handle and extended mag release included in the trigger kit (nice to have for ease of operation, but adds nothing to accuracy).

Check (search), the "Firearms, Equipment, and Ammo" forum. there's all sorts of 10/22 improvement tips and suggestions posted there.

i wanted to replace the bolt only because its pitted. its not that bad but i tend to be a bit anal when it comes to my firearms

First thing I'd get is new sights - www.tech-sights.com make great sites - basically they're AR-15 style sights. Your groups will start shrinking right away with decent sights.

I'd also add an extended magazine release and a new bolt release - so you just pull the bolt back and release it without having to fiddle with two hands.

If you ever switch to a match-grade barrel, you'll almost certainly need to change to a better, more positive extractor, as the stock unit won't work well with the tighter chamber.

If you ever switch to a match-grade barrel, you'll almost certainly need to change to a better, more positive extractor, as the stock unit won't work well with the tighter chamber.

+1 I had to get the one from Volquartsen to get mine working. I used one in my MKIII too.

Keep an eye on the www.rimfirecentral.com classifieds. There are always parts or projects for sale in there.

I suggest making minimal upgrades to make it more "user friendly" and improve the sights, then take a course on marksmanship, like maybe an Appleseed. Then maybe start doing more modifications to it.

1) barrel/stock/scope
2) trigger

You'll be amazed at the difference and don't skimp when it comes to scope mounts and rings. FWIW the folks on the Rimfire Central boards are very informative when it comes to squeezing accuracy out of a 10/22.

further into this cleaning project i see why my rifle kept jamming. i thought it was just filthy(which it was) but the extractor is worn. im gonna end up ordering the Volquartsen exact edge extractor along with the Volquartsen target trigger, sear, and possible hammer on payday.

anyone have this setup care to comment?

james

I'm still trying to squeeze the last bit of accuracy out of my 10/22. Here are my last attempts to keep 10 rounds under 1/4" at 40 yards. I'm still working on it. The large hole to the right is from a .38 special. I missed the dot by "that much"!

Barrel, trigger, stock, action, practice......

+1 on the Appleseed upgrades. My favorites are:

Volquartsen Bolt Release and Hammer Pack. It's $36 at Midway ($26 with a C&R), takes 2 minutes to install, and in addition to the auto bolt release upgrade, makes a world of difference in trigger pull.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=145851

Tech Sights

I hate the stock sights on the 10/22. These are post and peep sights like all the US battle rifles have (M1 Garand, 1903A3, M1A, AR15, etc). I shot a rifle with them at an Appleseed event, and ordered three sets for my 10/22s the next week.

http://www.tech-sights.com/

I also have a bunch of other crap on my 3 10/22s - bolt buffers, springs, stocks, even a KID trigger kit, but in terms of return for your dollar, you can get both of the above for less than $100, and they make a world of difference.

further into this cleaning project i see why my rifle kept jamming. i thought it was just filthy(which it was) but the extractor is worn. im gonna end up ordering the Volquartsen exact edge extractor along with the Volquartsen target trigger, sear, and possible hammer on payday.

anyone have this setup care to comment?

james

I think you're on the right road (where have I heard that before?).

The ony thing I'd add is to make sure you are using a high quality lubricant. It's been my experience that .22 semi-autos should be kept quite wet with lube.

Back
Top Bottom