• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Upgrade to 357 sig????

I've got a P226 in .40S&W and also a .357sig barrel to go with it. They are different, for sure. Whether it matters, probably depends on who you are, what you're planning to use it for, etc. I haven't reloaded .357sig yet but I think I will eventually. Good info here:

MassReloading -

If you're anywhere near Southboro Rod and Gun Club and you want to put a few rounds down range, shoot me a PM. I did pick up a few boxes at $25 per 50 rounds, but most of what you'll find these days is above $30 for 50 rounds. Which is why I'll likely start reloading it. Also I'd like to poke around a bit more with lighter and heavier bullets.. there aren't many options I've found with factory ammo, at least on the shelves locally.

Have a P226 9mm, will need a new .357sig barrel and .357sig/.40S&W mags for the P226 right?

Have a P226 9mm, will need a new .357sig barrel and .357sig/.40S&W mags for the P226 right?

From what I understand, you can swap .40 S&W and .357sig barrels no problem. But I think the 9mm slide is different and you cannot swap OEM Sig barrels between the 9mm slide and the .40 or .357sig slides.

Barsto makes a 9mm barrel that will fit (small chance it may need custom fitting) the .40/.357 slide. I don't have any experience with that, but I've considered it. It's about $200 for the barrel, more if you need them to fit it for you.

Mags are also different between 9mm vs. .40/.357sig. The .40 and .357sig have exactly the same mag. I've read many reports of folks using mags interchangeably with no issue. I've also read posts of folks saying they'd do that at the range but not for a carry situation. Since I only have .40 and .357, it hasn't been a concern for me. As I understand it, the lower is universal, but the .40/.357sig mags may not feed 9mm reliably (and vice-versa). I've never tried it.

At longer distances (50') I can see POI differences between the .40 and .357 barrels. From the factory, these two calibers have different front sights. Something else to be aware of as you start swapping things around.

Hope this helps-
Greg

I thought about doing this about 2 yrs ago. The big detractor was the fact that you can't form good brass from 40 s&w (too short) and most inexpensive plated 9mm bullets won't work b/c the crimp would be on the ogive.

I didn't like the caliber enough to look past these inconveniences.

I have never shot the 357 sig but I am thinking of converting my p229 from .40 cal. It it worth it?

Why not? The upgrade is just required a barrel swap. Your 40 S&W magazine is compatible with 357sig. I got my 357 sig barrel for my P229, but don't shoot it much due to cost of 357 sig ammo.

From what I understand, you can swap .40 S&W and .357sig barrels no problem. But I think the 9mm slide is different and you cannot swap OEM Sig barrels between the 9mm slide and the .40 or .357sig slides.

Barsto makes a 9mm barrel that will fit (small chance it may need custom fitting) the .40/.357 slide. I don't have any experience with that, but I've considered it. It's about $200 for the barrel, more if you need them to fit it for you.

Mags are also different between 9mm vs. .40/.357sig. The .40 and .357sig have exactly the same mag. I've read many reports of folks using mags interchangeably with no issue. I've also read posts of folks saying they'd do that at the range but not for a carry situation. Since I only have .40 and .357, it hasn't been a concern for me. As I understand it, the lower is universal, but the .40/.357sig mags may not feed 9mm reliably (and vice-versa). I've never tried it.

At longer distances (50') I can see POI differences between the .40 and .357 barrels. From the factory, these two calibers have different front sights. Something else to be aware of as you start swapping things around.

Hope this helps-
Greg
Thank you! Yes it does.

Neat round, but a pain in the ass to reload for, neck tension on it sucks. Commercial carry ammo all suffers from severe bullet setback issues after the first couple of chamberings... I thik Fed HST is the only one that doesn't, they probably glue the bullet in place or something.

-Mike
That sounds like it could be a serious issue, driving up chamber pressures with the bullet setback. Wonder why the U.S. Secret Service went to it.

That sounds like it could be a serious issue, driving up chamber pressures with the bullet setback. Wonder why the U.S. Secret Service went to it.

Because its not an issue unless you rechamber the same round over and over and over...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

What does " Worth it " mean , anyway ?

If its fun to research , buy and experiment with different calibers at the range , then : yes.

If you're looking for a better bad man stopper , then look at big revolvers and rifles.

The setback only occurs on multiple rechamberings. If you can afford to toss or burn off carry ammo constantly, and someone else is paying for it, not really an issue. Not to mention in LE, there are very few occasions where they would have to actually unload their guns, unless they're checking them for air travel or something.

-Mike

Because its not an issue unless you rechamber the same round over and over and over...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Agree. Just rotate the ammunition in your magazines so you're not constantly putting the same round in the chamber. No big deal.

Everyone talks about setback. I wanted to know how bad it was. I chambered the same 125gr gold dot round 23 (May have been more can't find my notes) times before I had an issue. I did the same thing with frang practice ammo and it took almost as many times..

Setback to properly loaded ammunition is a non issue as far as I am concerned and I have used the round in Glocks, Smith & Wessons, and three models of Sig.

If anyone else has different experience, I would like to hear about it and not "I read" or "I heard" tell me what your personal experience is.

As an aside, I have experienced more setback with my Sinterfire 45ACP frang reloads than any other ammo.

Back
Top Bottom