• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Upgrade to 357 sig????

I think having a gun that can shoot multiple calibers is a good idea. I have a 9mm barrel for my m&p 40 compact. It's more for ammo availability than any perceived performance gain etc.

Either way, 40, 357 sig or 9 is going to make a bad guy regret what he was doing.

I have a 239 in 357 SIG. I love it. What's a barrel run about $140? I'd say worth it. You could always sell the barrel if your not happy and regain much of your investment. The mags and extractor are identical in a .40 and a 357 sig, so no worries about unreliability.

Neat round, but a pain in the ass to reload for, neck tension on it sucks. Commercial carry ammo all suffers from severe bullet setback issues after the first couple of chamberings... I thik Fed HST is the only one that doesn't, they probably glue the bullet in place or something.

-Mike

.357 might, depending on the exact choice of ammo, have better penetration on hard targets. Unless you are regularly shooting through car doors, I do not see it being a benefit. Also, the ammo tends to cost more.

For damage on tissue, you will not find much difference between .357 and 9mm for similar loads.

It is also a very fun round that is one of the more flat shooting pistol rounds.

Given what the round does have going for it, I would love a sub or carbine with a 10" barrel to really make use of the hotter rounds.

a box of FMJ .357sig is $25, pricey. I have the G33, picking up a .40 barrel for it.
I like the .357 as a carry round, definitely hard hitting...muzzle flash.
Shot it indoors at Bob's when I first got it, another NES'r was with me, said he could read a newspaper by the muzzle flash! [shocked]

No.

More expensive ammunition. More muzzle blast. And any difference in effectiveness is miniscule.

.357 Sig does have better intermediate barrier penetration than most other common handgun calibers- with a good bonded JHP it'll drill right through auto glass and not change trajectory much. Other calibers, if they make it through such things, frequently go off course to a considerable degree. More of a corner case obviously, but it is a nice attribute. I wouldn't drive myself crazy switching to it, though.

Biggest downside to the cartridge is the bullet setback issue... sucks.

I have always heard that .357 sig is notorious for over penetration at close range. YMMV. Just food for thought.

Maybe with ball ammo, but otherwise, pure BS, it's not any "worse" than 9mm is with properly designed/modern JHP ammunition.

This nostrum of "overprenetration" is fun, BTW... because generally speaking, any round that isn't capable of "overpenetrating" also ends up being inferior from a wound ballistics standpoint.

- - - Updated - - -

a box of FMJ .357sig is $25, pricey.

If someone can find it for that cheap right now, they should buy it... because that's pretty much the going rate for a box of .45 ACP in a lot of places these days, too....

-Mike

It is a flame thrower no question. I always thought about a barrel for my 226 and 239 but the cost (old days) of ammo talked me out of it. If a bunch of less expensive .357 came around I'd grab it plus a barrel or two.

It has very good intermediate barrier penetration.

That being said, the trade-off isn't worth it.

a box of FMJ .357sig is $25, pricey.
If someone can find it for that cheap right now, they should buy it... because that's pretty much the going rate for a box of .45 ACP in a lot of places these days, too....

-Mike

Shooters Outpost Hooksett, I was there yesterday

It is a great round for carry, it had a learning curve for reloading but is not a problem and I have been loading it for about 5 years now. I load FMJ. JHP, and Sinterfire bullets with no problems and no set back issues of any kind. Ask GeeTen, he has used my reloads [wink].

I shoot it from a 226 but be warned, 40 and 357SIG have a different recoil and use different sights. My 226 is set up with complete top ends for 9MM, 40S&W and 357SIG. It is carried as the 357SIG.

For the flash comments, It is a perfectly round ball of fire and is very distinctive. I have done night firing with it and it is not blinding for me as the shooter.

For ammo expense, yeah, it isn't cheap but after a couple rounds to get used to it, you will only be using a box or two a year. Stay away from the Remington UMC ammo. I had nothing but problems with it.

A lot of what you are reading here is rumor or "I have heard" stories. If you want to try it from my 226, let me know. I have an adequate supply of practice and carry ammo and would be happy to let you try it.

If anyone is looking for a 357SIG barrel for a Glock 27, I have one nearly new I would let go at a very fair price [smile]

The Sig 229 is the perfect platform for a multi caliber firearm. I have a 9mm, 40 S&W and a 357 Sig bbl for my 229. Some say you need a new different recoil springs to fire the different rounds, but that has not been my experience. It's eaten all three using the same springs and even better, the same mags.

The best way for me to describe shooting 357 Sig in a 229 is that the handgun definitely has a snappier feeling in your hands. Yes, recoil, but it's more then that. The handgun has a much different feel to it. While some say this is blasphemy, shooting 9mm and 40S&W feels closely the same when shooting it out of the 229. Not so with the 357 Sig.

Overall I'd say go for it. Their are a lot of quality replacement barrels out there on the market. Can't hurt to add another one to your inventory. Especially seeing that's all you need to shoot a different caliber in a 229.

100_1211.jpg

It is a great round for carry, it had a learning curve for reloading but is not a problem and I have been loading it for about 5 years now. I load FMJ. JHP, and Sinterfire bullets with no problems and no set back issues of any kind. Ask GeeTen, he has used my reloads [wink].

I shoot it from a 226 but be warned, 40 and 357SIG have a different recoil and use different sights. My 226 is set up with complete top ends for 9MM, 40S&W and 357SIG. It is carried as the 357SIG.

For the flash comments, It is a perfectly round ball of fire and is very distinctive. I have done night firing with it and it is not blinding for me as the shooter.

For ammo expense, yeah, it isn't cheap but after a couple rounds to get used to it, you will only be using a box or two a year. Stay away from the Remington UMC ammo. I had nothing but problems with it.

A lot of what you are reading here is rumor or "I have heard" stories. If you want to try it from my 226, let me know. I have an adequate supply of practice and carry ammo and would be happy to let you try it.

If anyone is looking for a 357SIG barrel for a Glock 27, I have one nearly new I would let go at a very fair price [smile]

For those reloading .357 Sig, has anyone tried a tool like this one (Cannelure Tool : CH4D) to create your own cannelure and then roll crimping it to prevent set-back?

I have the Lone Wolf barrels for my G22 and the 357sig is a hell of a lot of fun to shoot(I have the 9mm barrel too). Awesome and worth the cash. Plus I have 3 firearms in 1 for less money than buying the separate ones.

I have a G32c and it is a blast (literally) to shoot!

Very flat shooting, I don't think it is a replacement for other common calibers, but if you can afford it, it is a fun range gun and a formidable carry gun.

Thanks for the advice. I did not know it was a PITA to reload. I am tempted to go for it

I've got a P226 in .40S&W and also a .357sig barrel to go with it. They are different, for sure. Whether it matters, probably depends on who you are, what you're planning to use it for, etc. I haven't reloaded .357sig yet but I think I will eventually. Good info here:

MassReloading -

If you're anywhere near Southboro Rod and Gun Club and you want to put a few rounds down range, shoot me a PM. I did pick up a few boxes at $25 per 50 rounds, but most of what you'll find these days is above $30 for 50 rounds. Which is why I'll likely start reloading it. Also I'd like to poke around a bit more with lighter and heavier bullets.. there aren't many options I've found with factory ammo, at least on the shelves locally.

Been doing it with my M&P .40C for months (.40, .357 Sig, and 9MM). It's pretty convenient to be able to choose between what's available and/or cheapest when heading out to the range.

In my experience over the last 6 months, there hasn't been much difference in prices between all 3 rounds (couple of bucks) when I do find it.

I haven't really felt any real big difference in the recoil between the .40/.357 Sig, but both my son and I did think the muzzle blast was "different".

Nevertheless, do it and give yourself options.

Back
Top Bottom