• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Update - Two people shot, one dead at movie theater in Florida -Suspect Retired Cop

I believe this is the right thread...

he's invoking stand your ground. It'll be fun to see how this turns out...

http://news.yahoo.com/florida-man-shot-theatergoer-texting-invoke-stand-ground-124807512.html

The "stand your ground" defense became famous after George Zimmerman’s Stanford shooting of Trayvon Martin, an unarmed black teenager, in 2012. Mr. Zimmerman was acquitted of Martin’s murder, leading many to question the respectability of Florida’s law.

Way to spread misinformation, Yahoo. The Zim Zam went with self defense, not SYG. While they don't explicitly say he did invoke SYG, the implication is strong.

ETA: He's going to say that as a retired police chief he didn't know how to de-escalate a popcorn-throwing incident?

Way to spread misinformation, Yahoo. The Zim Zam went with self defense, not SYG. While they don't explicitly say he did invoke SYG, the implication is strong.

ETA: He's going to say that as a retired police chief he didn't know how to de-escalate a popcorn-throwing incident?

I've heard this a million times. They think if the lie is said enough it's true.

The defendant here is going to be convicted like the wack job who tried stand your ground after he shot up a car at a gas station a few years ago after an argument over rap music being played to loudly. He certainly could not claim fear of death or great bodily harm with those teens in the parked car, this clown can't claim it with the popcorn either.

And remember FL has steep escalations for use of a gun in a crime, etc. So even if he gets convicted of manslaughter, that would probably be a minimum 20 yr sentence (and they have truth in sentencing, he'll do almost the entire sentence.

"...I can't believe someone brought a pistol to the theater...."

Apparently, this moron forgot about the Aurora theater incident?

IMHO, the fact that he was a cop is actually going steer the blame away from the Stand your Ground crowd. The news will play up the retired LEO, not the CCW as they did with Zimmerman.
He hasn't got a prayer on a SYG defense anyway.

You are right. They're going to use the fact that this murderer was a cop. That's enough to make it justified. Sort of like Paul Duncan, eh?

Jeez, idiot may have shot a now deceased victim due to noise coming from the victims cell phone. Insane.
On so many levels.

The gunshot noise far exceeds any cellphone noise.

Dead movie patrons cannot silence their phones.

First responders will probably not silence their radios.

Christ, guys been a free man awaiting trial for 4 years. At this rate, he'll die of old age before he ever sees the inside of a jail cell.

Wow, seriously?! It took 8 years, even with the WuFlu that is pathetic. Surprised the Tampa cop suspect isn't dead by now. I haven't looked but if he retired in '93 he's gotta be close to 80 by now.

Hes 79 now. Retired when he was 51.

The jury will only be 6 people with 4 alternates. They picked a jury in a day for Rittenhouse and that was 12 and I think 6 alternates. That event happened a year prior and received A LOT of publicity.

They are now expecting to start the trial for reeves on Thursday, they’re having trouble finding jurors who don’t think he’s guilty. Not a good sign for the defense lol.

The stand your ground immunity trial reeves tried a few years ago took 10 days, so this trial may move at a glacial pace. The judge seemed terrible, very slow and not in control of the court room.

Back
Top Bottom