• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Update - Two people shot, one dead at movie theater in Florida -Suspect Retired Cop

STILL selecting jurors. Andrew is live streaming and discussing it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypuDm3xmMGw

4 days of jury selection thus far to fill 6 spots and 4 alternates. The stand your ground hearing a few years ago was 10 days. I honestly think this case could last months.

The judge is a doormat, allowing nonsense during jury selection. The defense lawyer today was talking to jurors about his dog or someone’s dog. The edgecomb judge was excellent, kept to the facts and moved the trial along.

I believe opening arguments may start today. The judge lost her patience late yesterday and said selection was going to happen soon and get on with the trial. Hopefully she’s reached her limits and will keep it moving from now on. The defense lawyer really loves to drag things out. I’m not sure he’s doing it purposely, I think he may just like to hear himself talk.

every day this drags on the murderer isn't behind bars....

Based on my limited information on the case, I find his claim of self defense extremely hard to believe. He’s not a murderer until tried though, he is presumed innocent as of now.

I believe his gunshot his the guys wife’s hand first, then hit the person who died. She he has more counts to worry about than just homicide. If he walks on homicide but get found guilty of aggravated assault etc, h the result is probably the same, he dies in prison. It’s idiots like this, getting into a confrontation while CCWing and shooting a guy over BS which hurts CCW as a cause when he claims self defense. I’m sure he was a moron as a cop too.

Based on my limited information on the case, I find his claim of self defense extremely hard to believe. He’s not a murderer until tried though, he is presumed innocent as of now.

I believe his gunshot his the guys wife’s hand first, then hit the person who died. She he has more counts to worry about than just homicide. If he walks on homicide but get found guilty of aggravated assault etc, h the result is probably the same, he dies in prison. It’s idiots like this, getting into a confrontation while CCWing and shooting a guy over BS which hurts CCW as a cause when he claims self defense. I’m sure he was a moron as a cop too.
The guy that died wife didn't do the prosecution any favors. She gave a statement that she got shot in the hand trying to hold her husband back. Which of course the defense will portray as self defense.

I know plenty of good cops and have met only a couple not so good. I imagine it’s probably pretty hard for a former cop with a stick up his ass to get past having once had the perceived authority to harass, manhandle or point a gun at people who didn’t do as he said.

No, I would not be put on that jury either.

I know plenty of good cops and have met only a couple not so good. I imagine it’s probably pretty hard for a former cop with a stick up his ass to get past having once had the perceived authority to harass, manhandle or point a gun at people who didn’t do as he said.

No, I would not be put on that jury either.
There are a ton of cops out there that can’t just hang up the uniform after retirement or at the end of shift and just be a normal person.

It's a given he was a moron as a cop. He shot two people, killing one over behavior so minor it's insane.

****This was in January 2014 and he hasn't gone to trial yet!!!!****

The fact that he hasn't gone to trial is only because he has been free since the incident. If he was in pretrail custody his lawyer would be screaming about delayed justice and he should be set free.

The whole delaying tactic on his and his lawyers part has been to keep him out of jail as long as possible and hope he dies before conviction so he evades justice and his estate can then try to avoid civil judgement for the widow and injured survivor since he wasn't convicted.

The whole case and delay stinks, I'll stick to referring to him as a murderer.

It's a given he was a moron as a cop. He shot two people, killing one over behavior so minor it's insane.

****This was in January 2014 and he hasn't gone to trial yet!!!!****

The fact that he hasn't gone to trial is only because he has been free since the incident. If he was in pretrail custody his lawyer would be screaming about delayed justice and he should be set free.

The whole delaying tactic on his and his lawyers part has been to keep him out of jail as long as possible and hope he dies before conviction so he evades justice and his estate can then try to avoid civil judgement for the widow and injured survivor since he wasn't convicted.

The whole case and delay stinks, I'll stick to referring to him as a murderer.
It’s always good to delay as long as possible. Unless you are in jail at the time of course. Witnesses forget small details, emotions fade, evidence gets lost, etc.

He was on home arrest which is certainly far better than jail but imagine being stuck at your house other than doctors and court? That’s a long 8 years. I definitely think the defense delayed based on his age and I don’t think his defense lawyers think their self defense claim is strong

LIVE! "Popcorn Murder Trial": Know the Law & Legal Arguments​

Law of Self Defense

This is preparation for the opening statements Monday, February 14, in the murder trial of retired SWAT cop Curtis Reeves who shot and killed Chad Oulson in a Florida movie theater on January 13, 2014. The show goes live at 10 am ET on Sunday, February 13. In this LIVE show we're going to cover the half-dozen or so most important statutes in this case, and as time allows collectively watch the legal arguments made by each side in the 2017 self-defense immunity hearing of this case--we can expect those legal arguments to be largely replicated in this coming week's trial. Not sure how long this show will run, but the arguments at the 2017 self-defense immunity hearing collectively took several hours, so it could be quite a run! (For those concerned about it, I believe the Superbowl kickoff is not until 6:30 pm EST.)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5xMuX4qW9s

The opening statements suggest a LONG trial. These lawyers suck, they must be paid by the word. The judge is a potted plant who allows all this long winded nonsense to go on.

This is a very simple case, the shooter is known, they admit to shooting, it’s only a question of if it was justified self defense or not. This should be a week long trial at most but it’s probably going to be over a month. Rittenhouse had several scenes, many videos, pictures and witnesses and was a trial on the actions throughout the night. This event was 15 minutes and had one video and only a few eye witnesses.

The prosecution was long but the defense is probably at least double the time. I’m listening while I do other things, if I we’re stuck on the jury, I’d hate this defense already. Ugh

Rekieta has it on his YouTube with Andrew Branca. I’m not sue if Branca is streaming it on his YouTube too.

From the defense side, the longer it drags the less time he spends in prison.

It's been 8 years since this happened. Sleeping in his own bed, eating home cooking, and has been since the start.

Roughly 7 years longer than he should've been.

He’s currently 79. Florida isn’t Massachusetts, they have tough sentencing especially if a gun is involved. He’s charged with second degree murder and aggravated assault (the dead guys wife was shot in the hand before the round ricocheted and hit the guys chest).

I’m sure the prosecution will ask for lesser included charges before the jury gets it. If he’s convicted of anything he probably dies in prison.

We’ll see what the trial uncovers but I’m not sympathetic to the defense claim right now. I think the defendant was embarrassed, pissed off and got even by shooting him. I would be surprised if he had an arrogance from being a cop and had his authority challenged. The dead guy was stupid too and paid a significant price

He was complaining about the dead guy texting during the previews, complained to the staff, then came back and continued yelling at the guy, who threw popcorn at him before the shooting.

He was a captain in Tampa's police department, retired after 30 years in the 90's. Seems like he had an issue with his authoritah being challenged.

I am utterly disgusted with the delay in the case, specifically because I expect it's been in the hope that this jackass gets to die a free man, and it's been his defense lawyers and the judicial district (which he was a part of) who've allowed it to drag on. It's a travesty, and if it was any non special person would've been wrapped up years ago.

He was complaining about the dead guy texting during the previews, complained to the staff, then came back and continued yelling at the guy, who threw popcorn at him before the shooting.

He was a captain in Tampa's police department, retired after 30 years in the 90's. Seems like he had an issue with his authoritah being challenged.

I am utterly disgusted with the delay in the case, specifically because I expect it's been in the hope that this jackass gets to die a free man, and it's been his defense lawyers and the judicial district (which he was a part of) who've allowed it to drag on. It's a travesty, and if it was any non special person would've been wrapped up years ago.

Part of the delay was reeves had a stand your ground immunity hearing but then the legislature amended the stand your ground hearing, shifting the burden from the defense to the prosecution. Reeves wanted to have another hearing with the new rules. That went up to the FL Supreme Court who said no new hearing if you already had one under the old method.

I hadn’t heard of this case until my wife just mentioned it as I came across this thread. Sad such a stupid situation escalated and ended in death. If your carrying you have to be the better person.

I hadn’t heard of this case until my wife just mentioned it as I came across this thread. Sad such a stupid situation escalated and ended in death. If your carrying you have to be the better person.

It was on the national news, etc when it happened back in 2014. Once it was a former cop who was the perp the media lost interest quickly

Surprising even for Florida.

I watch probably 1/2 the trial, too boring to watch more. The judge was terrible, no control of her court and allowed the case to drag on forever. The prosecution were 3 lawyers, they were not very good. The fact that it took 8 years was a factor. Witnesses did not remember some things, etc. defense throes a lot of junk at the jury, claiming the dead guy through a phone at the perp, etc. prosecution didn’t counter those claims well and raised doubt.

Where it went on for 8 years including a 10 day stand your ground hearing in 2017, appeals of that, this trial and many depositions and other stuff, I bet the defense cost reeves $500,000. There were 3 lawyers and at least one paralegal on the defense and a number of paid expert witnesses. The widow will file a civil suit too, more lawyer fees and a chnace to lose cash.

Anyone who brings a cell phone into a movie theater should be punched in the throat. Anybody who uses a cell phone in a movie theater should be punched in the throat, kicked in the nuts and then forced to eat all the popcorn off the floor.

Back
Top Bottom