• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Update - Two people shot, one dead at movie theater in Florida -Suspect Retired Cop

A young child will grow up fatherless because of another self important dick head with the standard cop mentality. You have to earn respect not dictate it. He will walk free because he is one of the chosen ones. Pitiful !

A young child will grow up fatherless because of another self important dick head with the standard cop mentality. You have to earn respect not dictate it. He will walk free because he is one of the chosen ones. Pitiful !

Maybe he should have kept his popcorn to himself.

i would imagine if politeness and respect for others would have gone a long way in this situation, if dead guy would have a little respect for others around him like his wife and the shooter, things likely would not have ended in a box. i am not saying he "deserved to die", but this self centered me me me mentality that has set into society is getting people killed. throwing popcorn at someone you dont know is a stupid game with stupid prizes. [hmmm]

Popcorn kernels can be debilitating if lodged in the nasal cavity. I shouldn't make light of it but the senior citizen retired cop will most likely, if found guilty, serve little if any jail time with possible community service due to his age and background.

Was it the guy who got shot who threw the popcorn or someone else? It wasn't clear from what I heard.

I'd say there is a pretty good possibility that if the the ex-cop was willing to murder someone over a text there is a chance he is the one who started and instigated the situation in the first place. If I understand correctly, he left to get staff, then came back later. For all we know, the guy who was killed could have just been sitting there quietly with his phone put away by then.

I'm sure we all have seen/heard of those people who get cut off by someone driving accidentally, then proceed to tailgate them down the road blasting the horn screaming obscenities trying to run them off the road. This could be a case of 'theater rage' much like road rage.

Someone might want to check the rules of engagement this guy wrote into the FL swat manual. Curious to see if popcorn is a go word for them.

I remember on the news they played over and over how several cell phones went off during some high end opera in Boston and how terrible that was. I kept thinking is that news really more important than one of our boys in the military that lost his life defending us?

defending us? I wouldn't equate doing scumbag politicians' wet work overseas with "defending us". Nothing against the military folks, they're doing what they're supposed do, but our military hasn't been used for actual defense in over half a century.

yeah its not the popcorn per se, but the added salt, and slimy yellow grease they call "buttery"...all that adds up to toxic avenger stuff.

Guys like this...man. I hate people in movie theaters too, but come on.

One station I saw it on, said this former cop got into it over texting a few weeks ago with a woman at the same theater. In this instance he got into it with the guy, then went and complained to the manager and went back and started into the guy again. I can see getting annoyed if it's happening over and over DURING the movie but this case, wow. He's flipping over texting during the previews and the guy was just checking in with the babysitter. I hope the guy goes away for life, I think he will former LEO or not.

yes, premeditation is 1st degree; no, it would probably remain 2nd deg.

http://wonkette.com/539065/heroic-armed-citizen-stops-movie-texting-with-gun-murder

unreal [angry]

It varies by state. Most states have the premeditation as a 1st degree charge but there are other things that can get it to 1st. In MA, 1st degree murder is premeditation or a murder that is especially cruel or the victim suffers great pain (basically). MA has a broader definition of 1st than many states, MA is actually tough on 1st.

Even with 2nd in FL, it's going to be a long sentence if convicted. Florida has gun enhancements for crimes involving guns. So a 10 yr sentence for robbery, if you use a gun, it will be maybe 20 yrs. This guy is toast with that many witnesses, the victim is a decent person who was texting about his infant daughter (jury will be crying hearing that) and this guy claims a bag of popcorn is a weapon? Yeah, good luck with that.

defending us? I wouldn't equate doing scumbag politicians' wet work overseas with "defending us". Nothing against the military folks, they're doing what they're supposed do, but our military hasn't been used for actual defense in over half a century.

But, but, but...If we don't fight them over there, we will have to fight them over here!

One station I saw it on, said this former cop got into it over texting a few weeks ago with a woman at the same theater. In this instance he got into it with the guy, then went and complained to the manager and went back and started into the guy again. I can see getting annoyed if it's happening over and over DURING the movie but this case, wow. He's flipping over texting during the previews and the guy was just checking in with the babysitter. I hope the guy goes away for life, I think he will former LEO or not.

F that. I like to watch the previews....Put your damn phone away when you walk in or stay in the friggin hallway. WTF?

That said, I also hope the guy goes away for life. You can't kill someone for being an annoying, inconsiderate twat.

- - - Updated - - -

But, but, but...If we don't fight them over there, we will have to fight them over here!

oh yeah I forgot about that.

Go 'murica, cuz terrorism derpa derp

Problem is, these cases provide the anti's all the evidence they need to say gun owners are just violent crazies waiting to go off. Ugh.

Problem is, these cases provide the anti's all the evidence they need to say gun owners are just violent crazies waiting to go off. Ugh.

Not really. Remember the cops and military are always exempted. Feinstein and co have that dirtbag cheif of police in Milwaukee, and the bald guy from Baltimore county, Philly police chief, wash DC. up to testify how they have superior training, they are some higher beings.

These are irrelevant cases that don't help the antis at all. Look at the little thug from Miami, saint trayvon martin. He had rage, flipped out and jumped a guy and smashed his head into the sidewalk. In that case the victim had a gun for defense. There are more cases of people defending themselves against nuts who snap than cases like this one in FL.

We live in an angry society that is both impolite and self centered. Think not, visit this forum everyday. A lot of people don't know how to act in public, especially movie theaters.

In the case of this retired police captain, I'm suspecting a case of early dementia. The guy is. 71 and let's face it a vast majority of people begin to have memory issues and also judgement issues as they begin to age. I'm guessing that this guy may be declared mentally defective, maybe paranoid brought on by diminished mental capacity.

Last edited:
These are irrelevant cases that don't help the antis at all. Look at the little thug from Miami, saint trayvon martin. He had rage, flipped out and jumped a guy and smashed his head into the sidewalk. In that case the victim had a gun for defense. There are more cases of people defending themselves against nuts who snap than cases like this one in FL.

Eh. I think trayvon was trying to do the world a favor.

In the case of this retired police captain, I'm suspecting a case of early dementia. The guy is. 71 and let's face it a vast majority of people begin to have memory issues and also judgement issues as they begin to age. I'm guessing that this guy may be declared mentally defective, maybe paranoid brought on by diminished mental capacity.

Perhaps, but more and more seniors are enjoying very productive lives and are fully functional well into their eighties and beyond.

Maybe the guy is just an ass whole? [laugh]

his defense attorney claims he "used the law of self-defense to preserve his life just like every citizen has the right to do,"

right, sure, ok....so next time someone throws popcorn at in a movie theatre I suppose firing a handgun at them would be an appropriate response? Come on.

i hope the jury fries his ass.

Last edited:
Wow - watching the witness's accounts, it really sounds like the guy lost it. He must want to just strangle his wife.

" That was no reason to shoot him"
" Shut your ****ing mouth"

Defending his life? Are you shittin me? What is he, allergic to butter?

And an off duty cop witnessed the whole thing? Unless he comes up with an FBI agent that testifies he saw the guy draw a knife or gun after he threw the popcorn, Grandpa is not going to have to set aside money for Shady Oaks.

Back
Top Bottom