Update 2/21 Westford Ban

I just emailed the Westford selectmen about this. We recently sold our house and are looking to move to another town in Mass, and one of the towns we considered before all this was Westford, but now we've officially crossed them off our list. I let the selectmen know exactly why, too!

The thing is - that is what they want - conservatives to move out.

Re: Westford Ban - Meeting Tonight 2/12

I couldn't get in. I'm in a bordering town, but wanted to show support. Next time, show up with more people. We can make a difference. It's working already :)

Using my galaxy s2 via tapatalk, because I am too lazy to find a computer

On the bright side, I got out early enough to hit Market Basket.

It was nice to see a good turnout. I also got the chance to sign my support for another candidate for Selectman.

WTF is this supposed to mean?

I took it as meaning that he failed to anticipate the turnout and move the meeting to a venue that could handle the attendance. He originally said that there would be no discussions of any of the firearms articles (postponed to a special meeting at TBD date/location). A wise woman convinced him that it would be unfair to discuss ANY of the warrant articles (and open the warrant).

So we packed the BoS meeting, beyond capacity. The board had many 'guests' there from Sen. Donaghue and Rep. Arciero to the FinCom, and School Committee as well as planning board and possibly others.

The fire chief informed them they could either stop the meting or ask some people to leave. They chose to ask some people to leave but only after a resident challenged them to NOT speak about re-opening the warrant or any of the articles that would be affected by the re-opening of the warrant. They agreed.

They do have the ability to change articles, without opening the warrant, if they were submitted by a town committee.

I stayed as did a few others. They did not go anywhere near the issues of opening the warrant or the issue about article 30. And the meeting wasn't over until 10pm as it was.

I have let the BoS and the town manager know that I was disappointed that no one had thought to move the meeting but they had enough forethought to ask for the fire chief to be there on Monday.

The tentative date of the next meeting is next Wednesday at 7:30 with location TBD. If not Wednesday then Thursday. They must give 48 hours notice to the public for the location, time and date. I will let you guys know as soon as I do.

So we packed the BoS meeting, beyond capacity. The board had many 'guests' there from Sen. Donaghue and Rep. Arciero to the FinCom, and School Committee as well as planning board and possibly others.

The fire chief informed them they could either stop the meting or ask some people to leave. They chose to ask some people to leave but only after a resident challenged them to NOT speak about re-opening the warrant or any of the articles that would be affected by the re-opening of the warrant. They agreed.

They do have the ability to change articles, without opening the warrant, if they were submitted by a town committee.

I stayed as did a few others. They did not go anywhere near the issues of opening the warrant or the issue about article 30. And the meeting wasn't over until 10pm as it was.

I have let the BoS and the town manager know that I was disappointed that no one had thought to move the meeting but they had enough forethought to ask for the fire chief to be there on Monday.

The tentative date of the next meeting is next Wednesday at 7:30 with location TBD. If not Wednesday then Thursday. They must give 48 hours notice to the public for the location, time and date. I will let you guys know as soon as I do.

FWIW, Arciero told me he is against this bylaw. You should probably contact him to see if you can coordinate efforts.

Westford has over 1000 people with gun permits. More people need to show up. I am an hour and a half drive away and I would have come, but I only found out about this an hour before the meeting. Really we need to get 2,000 people there. Send everyone or else this will spread to other towns.

Unlike the Boston rally, Westford has parking.

First post here, but I have been a westford resident for my short 25 year life. I just recently received my unrestricted ltc-a in the town and will do whatever is necessary to ensure that this bylaw does not make it to town hall or god forbid the AG's office. My father was a police officer in the town for 15 years and i was raised around many of the senior officers there now. I know this bylaw and the emotion thats controlling the BoS is upsetting to them, because like us, many of them are pro-2a. Please PM me if there is anything i can do.

FWIW, Arciero told me he is against this bylaw. You should probably contact him to see if you can coordinate efforts.

Rep Arciero is personally against this but he does not take a role in local politics beyond casting his own vote and duties that are connectd to his office (which is why he was at the meeting last night). At least that is my 'understanding.' I have had a couple of conversations with him and I asked him about speaking at a meeting or at Town Meeting and he would not. He does vote at the state level against gun control bills. I understand his position on trying to stay out of the local politics because I am sure everyone who wanted to rename a street after a favorite relative would likely seek his support and he could be seen as exercising his 'influence' in inappropriate ways. He is also a member at WSC.

He has his job to do at the state level. This is our job.

Rep Arciero is personally against this but he does not take a role in local politics beyond casting his own vote and duties that are connectd to his office (which is why he was at the meeting last night). At least that is my 'understanding.' I have had a couple of conversations with him and I asked him about speaking at a meeting or at Town Meeting and he would not. He does vote at the state level against gun control bills. I understand his position on trying to stay out of the local politics because I am sure everyone who wanted to rename a street after a favorite relative would likely seek his support and he could be seen as exercising his 'influence' in inappropriate ways. He is also a member at WSC.

It isn't stopping Linsky from holding local meetings in Natick. Sure, it may be to pump up his state law, but he's taking it local. Don't take no for an answer. Rep Arciero needs to commit himself, and not squiggle out of it.

The patch article says there are two citizen petitions that are similar to article 30, where can we find a copy of these petitions?

Chris

Yes, I realize he doesn't want to insert himself in local politics. However, he might have some good information or strategies to use.

Everyone should go to stop the spread of Communism to other towns. It is like Vietnam except only costs a few hours time.

Damn what a perfect example of why the founding 56 put in the 2nd Amendment. These people are just bags of poo that need to be buried as such, then the guy wants to have people come forward as a militia to see what weapons are out there. Just seems like another way for these lowlifes to put the weapons to a face!!!

Charles.

The patch article says there are two citizen petitions that are similar to article 30, where can we find a copy of these petitions?

Chris

They are mistaken. There is one citizens petition which is an exact dulpicate of article 30 and there is another petition which is as follows:

PETITION

To amend Chapter 95 of General By-Law titled, “Firearms” by renumbering 95.4 to 95.5, and adding new Section 95.4 as follows:
It is hereby noted that if any proposed changes that restrict a person’s rights to the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, are put forth to the Town of Westford Board of Selectmen, (hereinafter referred to as BoS), or any other official Town body, in whole or parts thereof, that the BoS shall convene and chair a Committee whose purpose is to study and report out to the BoS of the effects of such proposed changes.

The Committee shall be comprised of a diverse group of Westford residents, with varying viewpoints on such subject, appointed by the BoS. The Committee shall consist of no less than five (5) and no more than nine (9) members. The Committee shall include, at a minimum: one (1) member of the Board of Selectmen; two (2) members of Sportsmen Clubs (must be Westford residents); one (1) member/volunteer of a domestic violence services organization (must be a Westford resident) ; the Westford Police Chief or his/her Police designee and the Superintendent of Westford Schools or his/her School designee.

He can pretend all he wants to. I think enough people know he is the bad seed and the bully. He needs to be driven out of office. He is up for re-election this April/May.

It really stinks that the meeting is next week as it is school vacation week and I have to miss it as I have to take my daughter on a college recruiting visit. I'm sure a lot of people who have kids (isn't this partly about helping to protect them) won't be able to make the meeting as it is school vacation week.

Back
Top Bottom