Upcoming Marlboro Gun Show - Waste of Time or Worth the Trip?

I went this am. My first gun show. A coworker of mine had a table so he let me in at 8am before the show opened. There was a line of at least 100 when I walked in at 8, and when I left probably 250+ around 9:30.

I walked around to all the tables, saw some cool stuff. There was a bunch of .223 and .308. Cheapest .223 was $15 per box of 20. A vendor in the middle of the room had the largest selection of ammo, I asked him the price of Winchester 62 grain box of 1000 rounds and he wanted $850 for it. I knew prices would be high from looking on gun broker, but I didn't think they would be that high. Only 9mm he had was hallow point stuff and no range ammo.

I was also "that guy" and walked to every vendor I saw selling pistols and asked if they had any Shields. The avg response was laughter. One table did have one, but he had already sold it. Mind you I asked at 8:30 so I wonder at what point it was sold.

Over all it was a cool experience being my first show, but will probably stick to LGS moving forward.

Any other updates to the status of the line? I want to go just to browse (1st show), but I don't want to get stuck in the cold for 2+ hours.

Any realistic priced powder or primers? Would really like an 8 lb of H335 or surplus WC844. Either way if the Jerky girl isn't there I'm staying home. Is the rumor of cheep 223 heads true?

Dave

I just left the show at 1 p.m. you could not walk, you could not get near a table, there wasn't any 9 millimeter available

- - - Updated - - -

the line was fine it was only 10 minutes long. it is once you get in that is the problem

I'll just copy and paste my response from another forum

I intended to buy some "bad guy" targets (Which I did) and fiddle with guns I intended to buy later on (Which I did). I even scored some non corrosive 5.45x39 at pre-madness prices, which I did not expect but I jumped all over it. I was tempted to buy 5.56 because I could use the brass and I'd like to shoot, but I talked myself out of it.

Best part of the show was the fact that I got to get some hands on time with a P238. I had gone to the show looking to get a Bodyguard 380 because all my local shops were out of them, but when I got my hands on one I kind of didn't like it. I picked up a P238 and was surprised to say it felt good. Like, good enough that I'll probably end up shooting it for fun as well as self defense practice, which I did not expect in a gun that size. The guy at the show wanted 650 for it, I told him that I knew where I could get one for 550 and offered him 600 so I wouldn't have to drive, and he still said no. Went and bought that ****er for 550.

Otherwise, it was the same show as ever. High demand guns demanded high prices, this time it's AR's next time it'll be something else I'm sure. Ammo was nuts and people bought it anyways, mags were nuts and people did the same. Fudd guns and handguns went untouched this time though, so I got to get a good look at all the stuff that is usually swamped with people. I had no idea there was an H&K branded O/U, but apparently there is. Should've snapped a pic of the gaudy "carbon fiber" finish on it, but I didn't think to at the time. I got what I wanted out of the show, plus a little extra. I'm glad I went.

What a line, 9:45 till 11:30. I tried taking a video with my cell phone but it came out like crap, so for anyone that missed out on standing in that line, I made an overview to show where I started.

Saw that Maine plate up by the entrance.

Ammo prices were ridiculous for the most part, but I managed to score a little 7.62x54R from the New York guy. Paid 23¢ a round, I've paid as little as 20¢ in 2012, but compared to most other ammo that ain't much of a jump.

Attachments

• Line at Marlboro.jpg
    Line at Marlboro.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 150
  • Maine Guns.jpg
    Maine Guns.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Marlboro 7.62x54R.jpg
    Marlboro 7.62x54R.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 151
I got in line at about 1:00 and was in the hall within about 10 minutes.
Plenty of cool stuff. Picked up a few odds and ends. Ammo was high. ARs were higher. Mags are out of sight too. Way more stuff at this show than at Manchester. Saw a few good deals on the Remington 1911, There were lots of high standard pistols at this show for some reason. Plenty of knives etc. Entered the Junior Olympics raffle and paid my GOAL renewal.

I ended up going. There was no line whatsoever at 1:30, although it was pretty crowded inside. Overall worth the trip just for the amazing jerky (cajun is the best)!

Went around 12:30 and waited about 10 minutes. Entered Mass Jr. Pistol raffle and grabbed a little things here and there. A lot of cool toys. Still can't believe a Century Arms Cetme was going for 2k!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

5 cases looks like hording [laugh2]

Not hardly, my hopes of finding 7.62x51 (308 Win) for less than 70¢ a round back in November were never realized & now it's double that if I'm lucky. Screw it, I'll just fire the still reasonably priced 7.62x54R. This is something I learned during the ammo scare of 2008. All you'd find consistently back then was 16Ga, 20Ga, 243 Win, 270 Win, 8mm Mauser & 7.62x54R. My wife actually suggested to buy guns around the ammo that always seemed available.

Some of those rifles can be pricey, but off gauge shotguns and mil-surp rifles are very reasonable. I have Mauser's & Fn49's for the 8mm and Mosin's for the 7.62x54R. I can't think of a better rifle for the money. I have to thank SKSRay for turning me on to them. He sold me my first Mosin Nagant, a Finnish capture gun from the Winter War 39/40. It's marked on the sling SA, short for Suomen Armeija ( Finnish Army ). My grandmother was from Finland and grew up in Templeton. I just bought it for the historic significance to my ancestors, but then I fired it [shocked]. Everybody should own one, but that's the trick, you can't just own one.

Last edited:
I worked the show, it was a MAD house. Saw Ross and gave him a pistol mag holder, hopes it works, saw SKS Ray, Manomet.
I did not move away from the computer until 4:00 p.m. processing sales. The MIRCS system crashed at 4 o'clock so I had a break. Picked up a night vision scope[smile]. Just had to have it. Saw two Colt Commemorative 1911, one world war 1 the other world war 2 $1200 each, including papers and display cases. One was nickle plated. Simply gorgeous.

Saw a M27 but was way over priced, a Tikka 91 way over priced.

Took in a S+W model 686 first run but the guy had the hammer bobbed[sad], other than that it really nice. It may find its way home with me if nobody buys it. I will immediately bring it back to its original configuration. Also picked up some 45/70 projectiles.

Yes prices were high but they are high everywhere. Sign of the times.[frown]

If folks stopped by and I didn't get to say Hi sorry, I was flat out busy.

I went around noon & it was stupid.... Line around the building.... I went buy an hour later & there were no lines. We ended up buying a Sig & some ammo... Prices were not "a deal" but we got what we came for.

Got there around 1:45 walked right in with my 6yr old son. His eyes were like two pizza pies. Had to convince him to leave around 4:30. He got more shit than I did. I did not fall for any of the ammo scams. Some of the Mosin Nagant ammo prices were reasonable. Got some AR parts and stuff, M1 Garand parts, extra 50cal ammo can. Almost walked out with a side by side 12ga. Need one as part of my collection. Still thinking about it. Who knows.

I worked the show, it was a MAD house. Saw Ross and gave him a pistol mag holder, hopes it works,

It's not real snug; I'm going to try and replace the missing rivet (or screw) in the middle and see if that tightens it up enough to hold onto the mags.

Also saw SKS Ray, Jim Wallace, Jay Beard (GOAL board president), Minininjer, USMA-82, who harrassed me while I was looking at a shooter-grade Luger (which I bought - I'm only sorry it's not Nazi proof-marked so I can say "Dey're dead, and I've got one of deir guns!") and probably others who I've forgotten already.

Crazy line this morning - I've never seen it wrapped around the parking lot before! But got a nice knife and also a Mod 60 (to replace my 637; I'd rather have the heavier gun to soak up recoil).

And a friend picked up a M&P9C, so she had a good day. And, of course, the venison jerky was awesome.

there were plenty of 12 guage there at the end of the day and a decent selection of lever actions. shot gun prices were ok for the most part. didn't look at any lever actions.

Went about 10 and walked right in. All the usual dealers with the same Sunday merchandise that must be getting frequent flyer miles from the last few years. Bought some dental picks and cleaning brushes along with my jerky. Nothing too exciting, scored a couple 15rd M1 carbine mags for $10 ea and was almost ready to leave when I found a new carbine stock with matching hand guard. Negotiated it to what I felt was a fair $70 and left happy. NY ammo guys weren't taking too much home, Pallets were almost empty at noon time.
Saw small pistol primers and some small rifle primers by the snack bar aisle for what I thought was a fairprice of $35 with fair prices on powder but none that I needed
Dave

I thought the show was pretty dissapointing. Selection wasnt that poor and everything seemed to be in good supply ( though I didnt see any Mini 14's or 30's ) but prices were just unbelieveably rediculous. I didnt stop to check the creepy nazi guys but im sure they jacked their prices too. Like I said in my other post, going to treat these like I do an outing to the park or museum, worth looking but not buying. Gonna stick to local shops that dont try and screw people as much.

Back
Top Bottom