• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Unlicensed shooters in competition

I just recently received my LTC A (in just under 2 short months), and one of my reasons for applying was to be able to compete. I have a feeling that after my first competition that my unlicensed wife is going to want to try it out. My hope is that she really enjoys it, and then wants to get her own carry piece.

After my searches have amounted to very little, I ask you - Are unlicensed people allowed to compete, in let's say, IDPA? She would be using my pistol, and I would be there with her. Thanks everyone.

I just recently received my LTC A (in just under 2 short months), and one of my reasons for applying was to be able to compete. I have a feeling that after my first competition that my unlicensed wife is going to want to try it out. My hope is that she really enjoys it, and then wants to get her own carry piece.

After my searches have amounted to very little, I ask you - Are unlicensed people allowed to compete, in let's say, IDPA? She would be using my pistol, and I would be there with her. Thanks everyone.

Perfectly fine as long as she is under your supervision. M.G.L. c. 140, §§ 129C (m)

If you want your wife to get into shooting or get LTC, try what worked on my wife....

purchase 1 or 2 private range sessions w instructor. Let her do it alone. Guaranteed she will enjoy.

Most men make the mistake of teaching their wife. Often wife feels like being lectured and then say bye bye to any interest in an LTC.
last thing wife wants from me is a lesson, even if its a friendly one.

by doing this approach, i got my preViously ANTI wife to get an LTC, own her own handguns, rifle and shottie, plus she comes shooting w me almost every weekend. Now she is totally pro2A. Its sexy as all hell watching her shoot a 12g

And she is not a prohibited person (has a felony).

To be a little more precise, federally prohibited persons include:

• Persons under indictment for, or convicted of, any crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding on year;
  • Fugitives from justice;
  • Persons who are unlawful users of, or addicted to, any controlled substance;
  • Persons who have been declared by a court as mental defectives or have been committed to a mental institution;
  • Illegal aliens, or aliens who were admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa;
  • Persons who have been dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces;
  • Persons who have renounced their United States citizenship;
  • Persons subject to certain types of restraining orders; and
  • Persons who have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

Persons under indictment for, or convicted of, any crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding on year
Except crimes involving restraint of trade or anti-trust violations (at the federal level, still a state PP person).

Actually, in addition to the "restraint of trade anti trust exemption", the federal definition of Felony is a crime characterized by the state as a felony, or with a maximum sentence > 2 years. Many MA misdemeanors have a max sentence of 2.5 years and are felonies for the purpose of 18 USC 922g.

Wait what? You need a license to shoot a match?

You need a license to possess a handgun in MA. There are some exceptions to this, one of which is to be under the supervision of someone who is licensed (e.g., you bring an unlicensed friend to the range and let him shoot your guns under your supervision).

So, what does "supervision" or "in the presence of" mean?

If I lend a handgun to a friend to do an IDPA match, I can't run around right behind her, I'd get in the way of the ROs and other officials. That means I'm back in the cold part of the range. That's not what I'd call "supervision". Do the RO's count toward "supervision"?

There is no set definition.

I don't do IDPA, but I do teach Hunter Ed, and the same language applies. If you're out with a minor that does not have their own FID, and you are sharing a gun, being on the other side of a field driving birds is not close enough; the EPOs also know that the kid is not on a leash.

If the unlicensed shooter oopsies and takes out another competitor, or a round or two go over the berm, then there might be an issue [rolleyes]. If the shots stay where they belong, than it's all good. Remember: there are a LOT of LTC holders around, and they are all supervising in that safety is everyone's responsibility.

So, what does "supervision" or "in the presence of" mean?

If I lend a handgun to a friend to do an IDPA match, I can't run around right behind her, I'd get in the way of the ROs and other officials. That means I'm back in the cold part of the range. That's not what I'd call "supervision". Do the RO's count toward "supervision"?

You are overanalyzing. It's fine. And, BTW, she just needs to be supervised by anyone with an LTC, and the RO certainly has one.

Back
Top Bottom