Under ground shelters

If I had the bucks, I wouldn't be interested in anything that I had to leave the house to get into, or that had any telltales above ground.

this place is under the assumption that america is going to be attacked on some massive nuclear/chemical/biological strike that the soviet union had us lined up for. maybe a small scale chemical attack or a less then 1 kt nuclear explosion tops is what terrorists could pull off.
im more worried about the economy collapsing then being killed by terrorists.

typical live in fear crap.
booo!

this place is under the assumption that america is going to be attacked on some massive nuclear/chemical/biological strike that the soviet union had us lined up for. maybe a small scale chemical attack or a less then 1 kt nuclear explosion tops is what terrorists could pull off.
im more worried about the economy collapsing then being killed by terrorists.

typical live in fear crap.
booo!
Tell that to the people that stayed behind when the law packed it in and left in the aftermath of Katrina. It doesn't necessairly take a nuke for law and order to break down. A serious natural disaster will have the same effect.

I'm selling tin-foil hats for $5 guys, if your interested...[rolleyes] I wonder hwo these bunker's would do if there was flooding?

The obvious issue is that if the water level rises above the air intakes, then they get flooded.

The less obvious issue is that the structure needs to be designed to withstand uplift -- the shelter will be buoyant and if the ground water level rises above the bottom of the shelter it will push it upwards. Cylinders are generally pretty strong, and being below the water table is relatively common, so it may already be designed for this.

Tell that to the people that stayed behind when the law packed it in and left in the aftermath of Katrina. It doesn't necessairly take a nuke for law and order to break down. A serious natural disaster will have the same effect.

as fsorrent and 1911 said, these bunkers would be useless and impossible to install in new orleans.
you can have a nice rifle and defend yourself just fine, and not have to hide under ground while all the rest of your property gets destroyed by looters.

In New Orleans, they "bury" people above ground, for obvious reasons.

89827665_e0381b3a6b.jpg

Some of these crypts, and the bodies therein, floated away during Katrina. Personally, I believe in cremation anyways, but now I'm guilty of massive thread creep (as usual [slap]).

as fsorrent and 1911 said, these bunkers would be useless and impossible to install in new orleans.

Yup, if these bunker's were like a grand it would be worth it. But at their price, it's tough to justify hte need. If you had one installed 100ft above sea-level in an isolated location known to only your family, maybe you might have something.

you can have a nice rifle and defend yourself just fine, and not have to hide under ground while all the rest of your property gets destroyed by looters.
Katrina... bad example. Didn't think about it being at or below sea level. Ditto the rifle idea.

If I was convinced that nuclear was the next (or fairly close behind) serious threat we were to face, I might consider something like this for the protection. But in many other scenarios, being below the threat seems tactically unsound to me. If you add civil unrest and roaming gangs I would rather be someplace above them for the advantage of height.

At the very least add a second exit, preferably at the end of a long tunnel which emerges in a hidden area.

Actually having a hidden exit some distance from any retreat makes alot of sense.

Last edited:
Kinda like a little Submarine

Kinda like a little Submarine. Cold Dark, Damp and Stinky.

I bet you could make your own shelter out of a Big Metal Propane tank. The kind on trucks. Weld on a wire mesh and spray it with Gunite.

I would bury it down about 30 ft under and it would be best if surrounded by granite bedrock.

You need to add a hydro/thermal power exchange source with battery banks. A Hydrogen Oxy spitter aka (KLithium Bromide) and a Co2 Scrubber.
Some Clorate Candels for that romantic glow and Poof You go it

Dont forget the banks of Oxy tanks to greate positive Presure and an airtight hatch. You may want an aux excape tunnel about 1 mile off in a northery direction.

Entertainment. Just bring one Book. Revelations and some Music a Jews Harp.

I would rather stand and face an enemy, than try and hide underneath him...
Your not gonna escape radiation in a bunker like that, You'll just be holed up in a personal microwave.

Speaking of "did I read that right" did you check out this claim

Complete Protection
Within 30 days -- not 30 months, not 30 years-- the prepared family will exit from their shelter. Even at ground zero radiation levels will be back to normal within 30 days.

No citation (or logic) provided for this random assertion.

Speaking of "did I read that right" did you check out this claim

Complete Protection
Within 30 days -- not 30 months, not 30 years-- the prepared family will exit from their shelter. Even at ground zero radiation levels will be back to normal within 30 days.

No citation (or logic) provided for this random assertion.

It must be that new eco-friendly-green radiation....more bang for your buck where it kills you but is easy on the environment....[smile]

It must be that new eco-friendly-green radiation....more bang for your buck where it kills you but is easy on the environment....[smile]

Actually, I read further, and it does have endless tables and charts explaining their take on it. Problem is, all their math is based on single-blast events...guess it's not to useful for any serious nuclear attack, but it might work well, say, for a Sarin gas or other, easily dispensable toxin, event.

Back
Top Bottom