• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

umlaut arms - RANT

the saga continues!

lars finally emails me this afternoon explaining that he was sick on saturday, and that his hours are wednesday-saturday. i let him know he really ought to update his facebook, and his google information as that's not what's listed there--oh, and your website is down, too. i asked if he kept a record of his communications with his customers as we'd spoken on the phone and i agreed to come up last saturday to pick up the lower, he clearly does not. i told him that a quick phone call or email would have been the chill thing to do so i didn't fly off the handle like i did.

told him in the interest of good customer service and to un-rustle my jimmies a 15% discount would be sufficient to which he told me to pound sand. whatever, dude. ultimately he's eating the shipping costs back to me and i am having my bank cut him a check. sure that's fair enough, but now i've sunk the time, energy, and gas money into that afternoon in hooksett which i'll never get back.

bottom line? i wouldn't recommend this guy to anyone for any reason. obviously. [laugh]

let's see if it ever shows up. the way this whole deal has been going down the USPS is just going to lose the lower.

He blew you off and wouldnt discount?

Well, I won't bother with his shop ever again if thats how he treats people he jerks around.

He blew you off and wouldnt discount?

Well, I won't bother with his shop ever again if thats how he treats people he jerks around.

his reason was that he was sick and that it's my fault somehow for not knowing he changed his hours of operation.

word-for-word:

I was out sick with Strep Throat on Saturdays and could not be here in my shop for obvious reasons.
How would you like to take care of the payment and delivery/pick up of your lower?

Lars

As long as it's actually going to go out once you receive the payment. As you can tell it's quite obvious I'm concerned about sending off money after all this, and I'm not too pleased with how things went.

Do you have a PayPal account for the shop? That way you get your money and can drop it in the mail tomorrow and we can be done with this. Honestly given the inconvenience and lack of communication a 15% discount would be fair in the interest of good customer service I'd think.

Let me know on that and the PayPal account, otherwise it'll be a paper check from the bank.

Sent from my iPhone

Paper check is fine.

My days of operation are Wednesday - Saturday.
I was sick this past Saturday.
Today is Wednesday.
Your lower had been available for pick up all of last week,

I wasn't going to charge you for shipping and handling, which I would normally

I am not giving a discount.

I didn't know that. You should update your Facebook/Google info for folks in the future. I didn't see thousands hours listed anywhere before showing up.

(screenshot of google hours)

(screenshot of facebook hours)

Your website is also down:

(screenshot of website)

With regard to point #4 you and I had spoken on the phone two weeks ago when you informed me the engraving was done. I told you I'd be up last Saturday to pick it up. I don't know if you keep track of those things (it appears that's not the case) but a heads up in the form of an email or a call is not asking too much in my opinion.

My bank will cut you the check, when you get it please get my property back to me.

Sent from my iPhone

derp on "thousands" hours, but i don't think i was being particularly unreasonable.

must be that need for instant gratification i keep hearing so much about.

It is a one-man shop. Kind of tough to have a sick day and stay open. I'll bet he takes a vacation once in a while too. Does he have hours posted on his door that say correctly what his normal business hours are? As to the discount, sounds like you got a discount if he didn't charge you for shipping. The customer service sounds mediocre, but you also sound like a whiny customer that had bad luck with timing.

I have bought a few things from Umlaut and have no complaints.

His customer service is a

trainwreck1.gif

It is a one-man shop. Kind of tough to have a sick day and stay open. I'll bet he takes a vacation once in a while too. Does he have hours posted on his door that say correctly what his normal business hours are? As to the discount, sounds like you got a discount if he didn't charge you for shipping. The customer service sounds mediocre, but you also sound like a whiny customer that had bad luck with timing.

I have bought a few things from Umlaut and have no complaints.

i don't recall the posted hours on the door, i was mostly checking to see if it stated he was open saturday. if i knew i'd have a three page thread on it i woulda snapped a selfie with the door in the background. [laugh]

asking for a discount because i was inconvenienced isn't unreasonable, i did say i was satisfied with him eating the shipping cost, and i do believe a heads-up when i'd already spoken to him on the phone and we agreed on when i'd be coming up. if he'd called me friday or saturday and been like "dude i'm sick, shop will be closed, can you come up next weekend?" i would have simply gone "that's a bummer" and gone up the next weekend. a phone call, a facebook post, etc. in 2015 where we're almost always walking around with the ability to be instantly connected to anyone on the planet in our pockets a simple call or email isn't too much to ask. especially if you already have a business transaction arranged.

asking for a discount because i was inconvenienced isn't unreasonable

Nope, not at all.

I just got back from the local tire place. They had a buy 3 get one free deal on tires for my F150 so I made an appointment for 3:00 today. They ended up behind schedule so they threw in a free alignment (usually around a hundo).

When a business inconveniences someone a small discount or offer goes a long way.

I do not understand this. If you don't like the service or think the guy stinks just go somewhere else. It's not like he's sole sourcing a product.

You're right. He probably should have just given up on the lower and let the guy keep it. Or maybe used a time machine to go back in time and never go there in the first place. Because it is super easy to go somewhere else after the fact as a valid solution. [rolleyes]

You didn't really think this one through, did you? [wink]

Nope, not at all.

I just got back from the local tire place. They had a buy 3 get one free deal on tires for my F150 so I made an appointment for 3:00 today. They ended up behind schedule so they threw in a free alignment (usually around a hundo).

When a business inconveniences someone a small discount or offer goes a long way.

Bingo. My shop ****s up sometimes, whether it's not making realistic commitments, or not delivering on commitments that were perfectly reasonable. When we do, we tell the customer that we dicked the dog, make a peace offering, and let them know that we'd like the opportunity to earn their trust and their business again. Everybody screws up, it's how you handle it that makes the difference. That being said, Lars should have his information up to date in all formats, and it's not really a stretch to expect a FB post or something letting people know that the shop is closed unexpectedly. YMMV

Bingo. My shop ****s up sometimes, whether it's not making realistic commitments, or not delivering on commitments that were perfectly reasonable. When we do, we tell the customer that we dicked the dog, make a peace offering, and let them know that we'd like the opportunity to earn their trust and their business again. Everybody screws up, it's how you handle it that makes the difference. That being said, Lars should have his information up to date in all formats, and it's not really a stretch to expect a FB post or something letting people know that the shop is closed unexpectedly. YMMV

Yup, any decent business owner does the best they can to keep good customers happy. If this was the third time Atilla had been there asking to have something fixed for free because he told Lars the wrong spelling, well, then tell Atilla to EABOD. Otherwise, try to make it right.

That being said, getting flamed on a gun forum the same day as the issue I might have told Atilla to EABOD too. The bridge was already burned at that point, granted Lars wasn't gaining any ground with his response but he had to know Atilla wasn't going to be a return customer so what the hell, soak him for full price.

i bought one of the lowers and the FFL was offering free engraving so i opted to have engraving done for my trust so i could turn it into a .300BLK SBR.

FYI - Engrave-It / Awards of Keene (603-352-8559) (12 Norway Ave, Keene, NH 03431) engraves lowers by appointment / while you wait.

Doesn't help you now, but may in the future.

In the end all you have is your character. I don't buy any suggestion that somehow Lars is the victim in this scenario. I sincerely hope he dies a penniless man. F him, F his shop, his family and his livelihood. Waste of space, dishonest, selfish piece of garbage I hope the publicity of this incident puts him out of business within the month. What an arrogant prick to recite hours he made up and did not publish Or communicate to customers before the fact. Acting like he's doing you a favor in merely completing, begrudgingly his contract and obligations. Strep throat does not explain all emails going to nowhere and phone calls going to voicemail not to be listened to or returned. F him, go to hell Lars.

In the end all you have is your character. I don't buy any suggestion that somehow Lars is the victim in this scenario. I sincerely hope he dies a penniless man. F him, F his shop, his family and his livelihood. Waste of space, dishonest, selfish piece of garbage I hope the publicity of this incident puts him out of business within the month. What an arrogant prick to recite hours he made up and did not publish Or communicate to customers before the fact. Acting like he's doing you a favor in merely completing, begrudgingly his contract and obligations. Strep throat does not explain all emails going to nowhere and phone calls going to voicemail not to be listened to or returned. F him, go to hell Lars.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443055057.635377.jpg

Yikes.

So did I miss the show?
Nope, guess not. This thread delivers ...

Back
Top Bottom