UMC Yellow box value packs

mac1911

NES Member
I have not purchased any UMC value packs in sometime but I noticed today @ walmart that the boxes have on them "metal case" is this meaning no longer brass cased?

Best deal today Federal 115g FMJ 9mm 18.00/100 only 2 boxes left. I do not shoot 9mm much so grabbed them

Walmart raynham shelf where well stocked even had 25acp.380acp the only thing I did not see was 762x39 0r 762x25 even had a few boxs of 44mag. I was surprised at the amount and selection. Price was nothing to jump for.

I seem to recall pulling apart some UMC .380 Auto cartridges and noticed that the bottom of the bullet is not covered. It is a copper (alloy?) jacketed round, though.

I pulled the bullets apart to measure the differences in various projectiles so I could calculate maintaining similar case volumes in working up some commercial loads.

I do sell several different calibers in complete jackets, but right now only in .44 Spl 180gr HP., .44 Mag 240gr HP., .380 Auto( 90gr and 95gr) HP and some .45 Auto in a plated 200 gr HP (in Speer O-F nickel cases).

If you do the math, UMC Value Packs are no value - usually equaling the price of 5 individual boxes of ammunition. So much so, that they are labeled 'Mega Packs' now...

"UMC MEGA PACKS!!!"

(insert insane sounding bumper noise track here, like WRKO 680s guitar riff drum thing)- "BRREEEEEEEEOWWWWWW DUNGA DUNGA DUN DUN!!!!")

"Yes Kids, now you too can get 5 boxes of underpowered, overpriced ammo for the price of... well, uh 5 boxes of underpowered, overpriced ammo. "

-Mike

"UMC MEGA PACKS!!!"

(insert insane sounding bumper noise track here, like WRKO 680s guitar riff drum thing)- "BRREEEEEEEEOWWWWWW DUNGA DUNGA DUN DUN!!!!")

"Yes Kids, now you too can get 5 boxes of underpowered, overpriced ammo for the price of... well, uh 5 boxes of underpowered, overpriced ammo. "

-Mike

LOL! Amen brother - it's junkety-junk. Was shooting some 9mm with another NES member and his rounds were actually shorter than WWB 115 - a few rounds, you could push the bullet into the case... Crazy....

I have not puchased any umc in a long time. I noticed it was no real deal. I stopped buying it after useing wolf for a while. If Im going to shoot cheap ammo, I want to shoot the cheapest period.

I saw UMC mega pack .38 special at Dicks. $100 for 250 rounds. You could buy 6 individual 50 round boxes of better ammo @$16 for that price, ripoff.
The .45 mega pack at wally world is a good deal though at $87, basically 5 boxes of 50 for the price of 4, decent deal if the ammo is any good.

The UMC .30 carbine is one of the best choices available in the caliber - it's the only UMC I've ever bought in bulk.

UMC Remington
The 9s and 45s show good consistant balistic qualities making and exceeding IDPA & USPSA Requirements.
HAve been using both in Major USPSA & IDPA Matches for years.

UMC Remington
The 9s and 45s show good consistant balistic qualities making and exceeding IDPA & USPSA Requirements.
HAve been using both in Major USPSA & IDPA Matches for years.

Seen any lately? Hopefully, '60buckscash' will be along with photos of his latest UMC purchase. Looks like it was loaded by chimpanzees...It's marginal ammunition at best. While I have no IDPA/USPSA experiences to fall on, I do have normal ejection patterns of UMC vs Winchester, Federal etc...In one example, brass that normally ejects 5-feet to the right with other ammunition, was bouncing off the table and landing at my feet. My Uzi, which has consumed thousands and thousands of rounds of everything under the sun, only has malfunctioned on UMC - it's barely stout enough to action the bolt....YMMV

the two on the left are some short ones that I found in a 50rd pack from umc and the one on the right is a good round.

Attachments

• short ones.jpg
    short ones.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 63
I know I could have taken out Mark and myself, what would happen to the forum then? Seriously, I could see space between the bullet and the case wall I was not going to risk myself with those.

After reading the infamous umc pack, I check my stash.

1 out of 150 9mm, I found this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have shot a couple of those bulk packs and haven't found anything resembling that - 'course, I bought those about 2 years ago, when the shortage was just starting.

I have shot a couple of those bulk packs and haven't found anything resembling that - 'course, I bought those about 2 years ago, when the shortage was just starting.

I don't have a crystal ball, but I think I can offer a little insight as to what's happening. Last winter, I spoke to a Remington rep about the ammo shortage - especially 9mm. She told me that Remington was cranking out 9mm, .40 S&W, 45ACP, .223, and .308 24-hours a day 7-days a week and they were still 1.9-million rounds behind orders. Subsequently, 38 Special and .357 also dried up....My guess is the Winchester QC issues could be blamed on the same thing: Magnified, ramped up production levels can sometimes lead to QC...Before the shortage from Obamamania, UMC was crap - that much remains unchanged. It's just crappier crap now....

Wally's in Bellingham has Federal 9mm for under $10/50. I stock up on that when I see it.

when I go shoot, no matter how how much I buy I seem to go through it all......... SO stocking up isn't working for me but that's what I usually shoot, Federal 9mm. Few days ago (Sunday) went to Wally's in Bellingham and they didn't have any Federal so I picked up a UMC mega pack and did notice it wasn't much of a deal. Shot it all.

Don't be a wuss. Just grab the bullet with a pair of pliers and yank it into place.

Wuss? I'm just trying to proof UMC does have quality problem. My 9mm glock will eat that without any hiccup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've gone through 4-40S&W UMC Mega Packs, and 2-45ACP UMC Mega Packs in the course of a month and a few days. not a single round resembled what I have seen posted here. I guess I will consider myself lucky for that.

Granted the UMC are not a huge "DEAL" on ammo, but when you want to load up, and Wally World feels like enforcing the 6 box rule. I opt for the biggest boxes they have and grab all six!!!

edit: these were purchased May-June 2010 timeframe

My Walmart had the Federal 50rnd packs for $10 and the UMC mega pack for $50, equals out to about the same price in the end.

My Walmart had the Federal 50rnd packs for $10 and the UMC mega pack for $50, equals out to about the same price in the end.

Um, if those were the prices, there's no "about" about it.

However, I believe most Walmarts are selling Federal for 9.47, while the UMC packs are a little over $50, so the Federal is cheaper. In fact, I believe the Federal is the cheapest 9mm available at any of the big box stores.

LOL! Amen brother - it's junkety-junk. Was shooting some 9mm with another NES member and his rounds were actually shorter than WWB 115 - a few rounds, you could push the bullet into the case... Crazy....

a few rounds, you could push the bullet into the case... Crazy....[/QUOTE][shocked][shocked]

Back
Top Bottom