Ultrasonic Cleaner

Anyone out there have an ultrasonic cleaner or access to one? I would like to get one at some point to clean my fired brass, as described in the article below. I'm more interested in larger ones that could accommodate several thousand pieces of brass.

I know they are popular for cleaning handguns. I’m also curious if anyone has brought guns or other stuff to a gun store or machine shop that has a cleaner. How much did they charge you?

http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

Brian

Interesting article there. I may have to try some of that when I start reloading.

anyway, I have a big (1.5 gallon tank) ultrasonic cleaner that I use for one of my other hobbies (watch repair). I just fill the tank with water, put a jar filled with Hoppes 9 in it and dunk the barrel of my semi autos in it (or the cylinder from the revolvers) and let it run for 10-15 minutes while I'm cleaning the rest of the gun.

don't know if it is the Hoppes or what, but frankly I get better results from Shooters Choice. :)

Ross

Interesting. What kind of cleaner do you have? I've looked at them all from small $100 models all the way up to some monster $1500 ones that you can dunk a shotgun into.

Brian

I have bought two L&R Research ultrasonic cleaners off of eBay, one to use for the cleaner and one for the lube. Lots of them get sold by dental labs that upgrade.

I bought the proper chemicals from L&R via Brownells and my C&R FFL discount.

I also have in mind to use other cleaners, like Eds Red, etc.

I saw a dunk and spray tank for <$90 at Advanced Auto Parts yesterday. Harbor Freight sells similar models for similar prices (plus shipping).

To date, I haven't cleaned any guns in the ultrasonics, only used them for "testing" and cleaning some other non-related stuff.

Back in the early days of AFS (different management than now, thank goodness), they had the president of L&R Research there for one of their "open house days". I had them clean a few guns, spoke with the L&R president, etc.

I paid $185 on eBay for the L&R Q140 last December. I think they run ~$800 retail.

LenS said:
Back in the early days of AFS (different management than now, thank goodness), they had the president of L&R Research there for one of their "open house days". I had them clean a few guns, spoke with the L&R president, etc.

I paid $185 on eBay for the L&R Q140 last December. I think they run ~$800 retail.

You can get them new for under $400 on the web (plus shipping):

http://www.tztoolshop.com/FB_Catalog_Ultrasonics.html

TBP

I just saw this type of cleaner in the Harbor Freight catalog in the mail yesterday for $180.00. It looks like a good idea but I would be concerned about abrasion of parts while in the tank. I'd recommend a rubber mat on the bottom of the tank.

Chris

Wouldn't a rubber mat in the bottom of the tank, prevent the tank from resonating at the correct frequency?

TBP,

Great find! The same Q-140 on Brownells is $579, ($521.10 with C&R FFL)!

NO you do NOT put anything in the bottom of the tank or you will destroy the transducer. Read the info/directions on using ultrasonic cleaners. You always use baskets or suspended carriers that are NOT lying on the bottom.

The basket makes sense. I'm just concerned about metal on metal vibrating at really high frequencies. I think something would wear out.

Chris

Don't waste your money. (just a humble opinion)

Local PD has a very pricey ultrasonic cleaner that is used after quals. To date, 5 firearms had to be factory refurbished due to corrosion in places you normally would not clean.

Another problem is the lube gums up and causes malfunctions. It is a lot easier to properly clean the firearm. If you really don't want to spend the time doing that, pay a gunsmith to clean it. Proper cleaning includes inspection which an ultrasonic cleaner does not have the eyes to do.

Regards,

We had an L&R cleaner for a few years. It was the cause of a malfunction of an officer's Glock. It also created a few problem with some of our stainless steel firearms. I eventually pulled it from service.

They are great when cleaning something that it TOTALLY disassembled. But it is not great when only fieldstriping the firearm. It also caused the firearm to bind and would be unserviceable unless lubricated carefully prior to going back into service.

For the price, I'll clean my guns by hand.

Rscalzo,

What were you using for lube? The L&R chemicals or something else? Or were they manually lubing.

Why I bought 2 cleaners is a realization that doing cleaning, draining cleaner out, cleaning the ultrasonic cleaner and then dumping in the lube and running that was a PITA for each gun. Easier to have two units, one for cleaner and one for lube. [Once all lubrication is stripped from the gun by the cleaner, you have to IMMEDIATELY dunk it in a lube bath or you WILL have rust/corrosion starting almost immediately . . . that is why you need two units!]

I did have the L&R president clean two of my guns (one was my PPK/s) and lube it in their chemicals. Never had any problems with it.

So, I wonder if it is an operator thing or truly a problem with the chemicals.

Back
Top Bottom