• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ultrasonic cleaner

M1911a1g17

NES Member
Hello all. I have a ultrasonic cleaner and would like to clean my timney ar impact trigger with it. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what solution to use. Also with it being a trigger I should probably not lube it after I would think. Any suggestions and advice is appreciated. Thank you.

I use a Pyrex beaker with whatever solvent makes sense for the part to minimize waste. Fill the tub with water.

For a trigger, good old dawn will likely get it good and clean

Typically I use Simple Green or the knockoff version for ultrasonic cleaning. Dawn will work fine for a trigger.

I lube the pins and areas of the trigger and hammer that rotate on the pins.

Simple green works very well and is completely non-toxic.

I have many of their products and use them on many things in and out of the house. (including ultrasonic cleaners, when I usto clean my departments weapons)

Simple green works very well and is completely non-toxic.

I have many of their products and use them on many things in and out of the house. (including ultrasonic cleaners, when I usto clean my departments weapons)
Caveat is that simple green can screw up brass and aluminum parts if too strong a mixture is used.

I hit things with compressed air after coming out of the ultra sonic. parts are usually hot enough to evaporate some left over water. I’ll hit some spots with a shot of wd-40 too. Since it was actually made to displace water. Then I’ll lube parts as necessary.

@northframingham that is very good to know. Any issues with it you have seen first hand?

@pastera at what strength do you see issues? Yes that’s kinda what I am worried about. I want to clean my cassette trigger but nervous about getting it all out.

@that is a good point.

@chris_1001 I have seen that. Does it clean it well?

@northframingham that is very good to know. Any issues with it you have seen first hand?

@pastera at what strength do you see issues? Yes that’s kinda what I am worried about. I want to clean my cassette trigger but nervous about getting it all out.

@that is a good point.

Honestly I dont know. I’ve just used ezox on it. It’s a light weight CLP

Gun (AR) has been used quite a bit. No issues

I think if you dilute per the instructions and don't soak for hours it isn't an issue.
If the instructions say to use naphtha then you can use a small beaker full placed into the basket in the water bath. The beaker lets you use a lot less solvent than pouring in several liters.

It will give off flammable vapors so ventilation is needed.

@that is a good point.

I never used it for competition triggers. Just slides barrels & back in the day cylinders.

I think that was the timney instructions I’m remembering.

Sounds about right.
As I understand it, and I'm not an expert but the rinsing with lighter fluid is enough to remove most gunk. When it dries it leaves a film that lubricates enough, but not so much that it will attract excessive gunk. I would shy away from sonicating any gun parts that have a coating on them. I use them at work sometimes, mostly for cleaning oxidation and chemical vapor deposition off stainless steel parts. I accidentally left a Chrome/silver plated Allen wrench in the bath once and after 1 hour it came out black, the plating was completely removed.

As mentioned simply green with hot water (at correct ratios) even if you ultrasound has a heating element. I know a lad who uses diesel or kerosene in a heated ultrasound. Also, your dishwasher will work very well, but I’m not sure your better 1/2 will like that option! That’s why the lad I know first wife left….well, fairly certain that was not the reason. But, top rack for anything that goes pew pew and bottom rack for things that goes zoom zoom.

No knocks towards anybody, do what you want to do but I feel like sometimes people have and unnecessary compulsion to over clean guns/parts. 99% of the time for most people they just need to be cleaned and lubed well enough to run reliably. There are obviously exceptions with collectibles and antiques of course.

@chris_1001 oh ok. That is good to know! I have always shied away from any oil at all on triggers.

@pastera place a beaker full of it into the tub of it? Or pour a beaker full of it into the tub?

@Ron Jablonski doss it soak in it or just rinsed in it? Like sprayed on? I bought it mainly to clean brass for reloading but the parts are a bonus.

@northframingham how well does it work with revolver cylinders? I have a gp100 I want to try in it.

@quiller hahahah I don’t she would like that at all.

@chris_1001 oh ok. That is good to know! I have always shied away from any oil at all on triggers.

@pastera place a beaker full of it into the tub of it? Or pour a beaker full of it into the tub?

@Ron Jablonski doss it soak in it or just rinsed in it? Like sprayed on? I bought it mainly to clean brass for reloading but the parts are a bonus.

@northframingham how well does it work with revolver cylinders? I have a gp100 I want to try in it.

I don't understand your question, please clarify.

Fill beaker with solvent
Fill tub with water
Carefully put beaker with solvent and parts in the water - no mixing.
minimizes solvent use and cleanup.
I do the same with jewelry cleaner - the wife loves it when I'm motivated enough to clean up her rings

@Ron Jablonski sorry my apologies. Do you need to soak the trigger for and extended period of time or just rinse it off? As in spray it and drain it. My main concern is that the other day my trigger was not resetting properly. I want to clean it really well and then run it again to see if that fixes it. My trigger is a timney impact. A drop in cassette style. That is more so why I was worried about it in a ultrasonic cleaning because I do not want any water to get trapped and cause rust.

@pastera so essentially you are heating up the solvent in the water? And the beaker full of solvent will give the same results as if it the water but less clean up.

@Mountain ok that is good to know. Thank you.

@Ron Jablonski sorry my apologies. Do you need to soak the trigger for and extended period of time or just rinse it off? As in spray it and drain it. My main concern is that the other day my trigger was not resetting properly. I want to clean it really well and then run it again to see if that fixes it. My trigger is a timney impact. A drop in cassette style. That is more so why I was worried about it in a ultrasonic cleaning because I do not want any water to get trapped and cause rust.

@pastera so essentially you are heating up the solvent in the water? And the beaker full of solvent will give the same results as if it the water but less clean up.

@Mountain ok that is good to know. Thank you.
No worries, first off I only have done this on my rem700 triggers so it might not be exactly what you need. I just rinse a little from the top down, a little compressed air to blow out any excess and then let it dry. No soaking.

@Laderbuilt thats a good idea. Thank you. Any tips on where to get it?

@Ron Jablonski thank you! I found this on timney’s website. So it looks like that will be my plan of attack for that trigger.

I will be cleaning other parts though so having options is nice as well.

Attachments

• 30E84020-FC08-4094-A2AB-911F8BCF3162.png
    30E84020-FC08-4094-A2AB-911F8BCF3162.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 4
@Laderbuilt thats a good idea. Thank you. Any tips on where to get it?

@Ron Jablonski thank you! I found this on timney’s website. So it looks like that will be my plan of attack for that trigger.

I will be cleaning other parts though so having options is nice as well.
Amazon is the easiest place but I’ve seen it off and on at Home Depot I bought four gallons of it last time. I have one left

Back
Top Bottom