• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ultrasonic cleaner

Why does this trigger group require an ultrasonic cleaning? Personally I’d really try to avoid doing that.

@Laderbuilt thank you! I will take a trip there to see!

@92G it doesn’t per say. I have noticed it failing to reset so I wanted to clean it really well and see if that fixes it. I suspect a decent amount of lube got in from the bcg.

if it's failing to reset and there's nothing visibly wrong, I'd reach out to timney and ask them to look at it. the trigger group is way too important to experiment with an ultrasonic cleaner, which can strip finishes and lead to corrosion over time. I use the ultrasonic cleaner for steel suppressor baffles, sometimes a leaded 1911 barrel, etc. Not for critical components like an AR trigger. For such areas I would just use compressed air and a tiny film of mil-comm or other grease on the sear-hammer contact surfaces. that's it. lubricant is only there to repel water so as to retard corrosion. whatever you decide to do, call and chat with timney first let them guide you.

@92G i used this process. I was more so worried about attracting dirt. I deep cleaned it and am going to test it all cleaned up before I send it back.

Attachments

• CF99D77F-78E4-46A8-9990-2A0E599A13D2.png
    CF99D77F-78E4-46A8-9990-2A0E599A13D2.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 1
@92G i used this process. I was more so worried about attracting dirt. I deep cleaned it and am going to test it all cleaned up before I send it back.

their protocol uses volatile petroleum distillates (Coleman fuel, lighter fluid) so as to allow it to completely evaporate. Essentially Timney doesn’t want anything including lubricants or cleaning agents to remain in the trigger group, which makes sense. If it was having a reset failure I will be surprised if that was caused by debris unless it was like crazy heavy amount.

Back
Top Bottom