Ugly Victory comes home

depicts

Army Veteran
NES Member
I walked into my local gun shop yesterday, just to look around.

Nice collection of AR's, a counter full of 1911's, another counter of various make and model of wonder nine and .40 caliber guns.

Way toward the back, on the bottom of the last counter I found this sad old re-blued .38/200 Victory Model, with the hideous silver cylinder release glaring at me and calling to me at the same time saying... "Somebody please save me."

$135 and my C&R license later, the ugly old girl and I head for home.

Someone really did a bad job on refinishing this gun. The metal is rough under a thick blue/black heavy coating of what could have been pretty finish if done right.

whatIfoundtoday.jpg

It's my first Victory. I had to save it from the shame it's suffering the way I found it. Insults of all insults, it had those also hideous Rubber grips on its frame.

I don't know what I'm going to do with this old workhorse. I'm still observing. For instance the tiny stamping that says NOT ENGLISH MAKE, just above the words Made in USA, is sort of ironic. They needed our pistols and guns and GI's, but they had to make sure no one thought the guns were theirs.

I took the side plate off when I got the gun home, and looked at the elegant solution to double action single action mechanics. The inside of the gun is beautiful. Whoever blued the gun didn't even take the side plate off when they blued the gun, and the screw heads were also coated with a thick shiny black/blue.

poster.jpg

So I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this once proud gun. But it's safe now. No one will hurt it ever again. I'll post some more pictures as I play with it more.

Anyone have an old blue cylinder release they can spare as a first step in "Bad Blue's" rehabilitation? Please, no bright chrome.

Bill

Last edited:
Good for you Bill!

I saw that Smith and was tempted to save it. I was wondering if it was actually re-barreled, as I thought I saw that it has a .38 S&W Special barrel, not the .38 S&W (.38/200) barrel that they had when shipped to the Brits.

Can’t wait to see what you do with her.

Ranger, that is the 38/200. All original markings seem correct. Not reboared or rebarraled, just a real bad blue job. It has the hole and retaining pin to hold a lanyard too.

Those were Parkerized, weren't they? If so, you should be able to strip and re-park it without ruining the markings.

Jim, they came in a highly polished blue called "Carbonia". Whoever blued this tried to duplicate that high gloss finish.

The 38/200 came in a matte blue, parkarized (actually Black Magic trade name). and the high gloss Carbonia

Such a veteran weapon rates the best. Send it to Doug Turnbull.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone ever sued the AG to publish the supposed list?
It is indeed a small world.

When I just had my driver's license, I'd deal with a boring weekend by taking an old 12 guage Mossberg at .22 rifle to the free range at Creekside gun shop (rural NY - no permit needed for long guns). I later learned this was the home port for the famous Doug Turnbull, before Creekside went out of business a number of years later. It was a great shop, huge selection of everything, but not exactly low price. So much for coincidence #1, on to #2.

20 years after moving from NY, I find that someone in Arizona who I have been dealing with for the past several years on match organization issues is Doug's sister.

Jose, I'm not sure this old girl deserves the best. It's been so polished, and the proof marks and trademark are so worn, I don't think I can save it short of total restoration. I will give it correct stocks and cylinder release, and try to find a correct lanyard, but beyond that I don't know yet.

Doug Turnbull, huh!? I'll check that out though.

That's a nice save depicts. But calling that poor gun a POS is harsh[wink] It's current condition is not it's fault. Unless you meant Poor Old Smith?

Back
Top Bottom