• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Turkey Shoots

First....what sort of turkey shoot - pistol, rifle, shotgun?

Mine are Trap, with "turkeys"( i.e. odd-colored birds) added in, randomly, so the best overall score may not be the winner, to give the less-than-top-guns a chance.

For the Grand Prize, we allowed "poaching" and had two full squads shootingat handicap yardage for one turkey....pride took precedence over practicality, but many wanted to be called The Big Turkey for the year. [laugh]

PM EddieCoyle; he runs one for Shirley Rod & Gun every year. He gave me some very good ideas on running one for my Lodge. (Mine is a pistol only based on the ones that my home town ran back in the early 80's, so I can't help you there).

The lucky turkey shoot that Mr Happy mentions get out more shooters at our club. Mix in white targets and only white hit counts. When you get good at it you learn how to place the clays to screw a couple of stations and that is where you put the best shooters. It's better when a newbie goes home with a bird.

We did ours at Shirley this weekend. I don't run it, but I do help out.

We gave away 250 frozen turkeys to the winners of marksmanship contests throughout the day.

We have 9 different events we run continuously, as well as raffles for turkeys, cord wood, and other stuff.

Some of the contests are require more luck than skill, while the bullseye and trap contests reward the people that can shoot well.

Back
Top Bottom