• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trump gun control, update post 529 Trump No Longer Backing “Red Flag” Law, Background Check Changes

what i got from the press conferance:
1) early warning signs and social media = more big brother
2) glorification of violence in entertainment = not sure but is this really a “thing”
3) reform mental health laws, involunatary confinement = more big brother but I do agree better mental health care is needed just not locking people up
4) red flag laws = more big brother
5) fast track dealth penalty = ok i am on board

More statism.

That’s all. I want .gov making fewer of these kinds of judgements, not more.

He had to say something. But making it easier for any .gov entity to seize guns, commit people involuntarily, and kill criminals? No thanks.

SOLUTION TO GUN VIOLENCE? - About This Blog

I can't even begin to imagine of what this Country is gonna look like if one of these nutters gets POTUS...Scary very scary.

This is a national crisis. Mitch McConnell needs to bring the Senate back from recess right now and hold votes on legislation to protect Americans from gun violence. Enough. We need to end this carnage now.

— Cory Booker (@CoryBooker) August 4, 2019

Yes Corey cause your track record of protecting American is stellar.

Are you going to assert that there are NOT a very significant number of profoundly mentally ill people on the streets currently that have already demonstrated that they cannot obey our most basic laws and have basically been run through our legal system repeatedly and are dumped back into general population with the rest of us?

Brother paaahlease......

This problem has been ignored since before a large number of them were sprung from institutions back in the 80's

How would I know?

You wouldn’t either.

But if you want to empower the .gov to involuntarily commit people without meaningful due process, you’re not thinking clearly.

Meh. I expected him to come out and condemn "white nationalism." Everything else is just lip service and a warning to the dems.

Part of that job is incarcerating people who demonstrate they cannot respect the rights of others regardless of the underlying reason......our courts make a mockery of our laws wrt mentally ill criminals

There’s already a mechanism for doing all that. Unlike you, I don’t want to make it any easier for .gov to gank rights. Mine, or anyone else’s.

And you’re the one claiming to know how many wild-eyed, criminally mentally disordered individuals are out there. I’m telling you flat-out, I don’t know. I’ll just sit here and wait for you to give us all a number.

And what you're completely/totally ignoring is that the existing mechanism is broken......if it wasnt then these mentally ill criminals wouldnt be going through a revolving door that we call our justice system

So, of course, this new system will be magically fixed and work perfectly because Uncle Trump can wave the JPK Magic Wand and make sure nobody’s rights are infringed?

Okay. Sure.

Still waiting on a number, too.

The only way to eliminate any kind of attacks is trained and equipped population. That is the only way. Everything else is a lip service.
Our President did not say that because majority of our population would get an anxiety attack just from the idea that they need to be responsible for their own safety.

So, of course, this new system will be magically fixed and work perfectly because Uncle Trump can wave the JPK Magic Wand and make sure nobody’s rights are infringed?

Okay. Sure.

Still waiting on a number, too.

Picton, I am glad there is no water in my fox hole today and that the sound I hear is coming from far away from my observation point. Fixing mentals will not happen. You are correct.

Picton, I am glad there is no water in my fox hole today and that the sound I hear is coming from far away from my observation point. Fixing mentals will not happen. You are correct.

Mentals can be treated. But not effectively if it’s involuntary.

I’m just not a fan of making it easier for .gov to infringe on anything. Anything at all. Blackstone’s Formulation FTW.

How would YOU know?

Open your eyes

Look at arrest/prosecution reports/court records once in a while.....its all easily avail/online

Walk around your nearest metropolitan area and deny that there arent a significant number of people who fit the bill

Your local PD knows these people because they interact with them far too frequently

I dont want gov involved in my life but you cant deny that government has a proper/constitutional job to do

Part of that job is incarcerating people who demonstrate they cannot respect the rights of others regardless of the underlying reason......our courts make a mockery of our laws wrt mentally ill criminals

You are absolutely correct..

Good to see you’re still putting words in my mouth. Keep going. Right around the time you tell me how many wackos you’re going to trust Trump to round up.

Mentals can be treated. But not effectively if it’s involuntary.

I’m just not a fan of making it easier for .gov to infringe on anything. Anything at all. Blackstone’s Formulation FTW.

Allow me to add that government will never fix mentals. Government will create more mentals, that is given.

Freedom comes with responsibilities. Those who went West knew absolutely nothing about hardships waiting on them on their CRAZY adventure. They did not have government or police to help them when their wagons were attacked by those who wanted their scalps only.

Our population wants no responsibilities. Sugar daddy is suppose to be .gov.

Picton,

We adopted your leftist strategy back in the 80's and all of these mentally ill violent criminals got dumped on the streets and have harmed a lot of people over the years

Your failed leftist ideology once again has been demonstrated to be an utter failure

So here we are because demwit leftists in your own camp insisted these people be released

Your team has also insisted for decades that these same people as well as several generations of children could be managed with medication

You leftists have created entire generations of broken people......now that you've made a mess you've going to actually complain about people actually making an effort to clean up the mentally ill mess y'all made?

brother pahlease.....

There are challenges of course but doing nothing at this point wrt mentally ill criminals yields nothing more than a cloward and piven end point......

Maybe the government Picton is writing about is the government which will label all of us here as mental. How about that?

You're little experiment over the last 40 years of "Managing" mentals is a total abject failure......

Your "management" of people has cause a lot of the rest of us to be harmed by these people

Your "management" of kids with medication has created entire generations of truly broken/mentally ill monsters that the rest of us are bearing the burden of

Responsibility!

Nobody will give pills to my kids! Nobody will manage my family!

Picton,

We adopted your leftist strategy back in the 80's and all of these mentally ill violent criminals got dumped on the streets and have harmed a lot of people over the years

Your failed leftist ideology once again has been demonstrated to be an utter failure.

So I dont know Picton, but the only thing I hear him advocating for here is citizens rights, and limiting the power of the government to control our lives. These are definitely not Leftist Strategy or Ideology.

So I dont know Picton, but the only thing I hear him advocating for here is citizens rights, and limiting the power of the government to control our lives. These are definitely not Leftist Strategy or Ideology.

He tends to get carried away responding to my posts.

Picton, you lefties fully own the effed up state of mental illness, the effed up experiments you've been performing on the last couple generations wrt medication and the effed situation with mentally ill being dumped on our streets

Stop denying it........its another example of the complete/utter failures of progressivism

I'm confused here. Seriously, what leftist strategy is he espousing?

You're not familiar with Picton and his leftist ideology/postings

In this case he'll proverbially throw his hands up and declare we must protect those demonstrated to be profoundly violent mentally ill........and you'll hear similar whining that there's nothing we can do but continue with the current broken judicial system that continues to return these people to the streets despite being picked up/charged/prosecuted on our dime......and then soon after release you, me, our families are subjected to their mental illness/criminal behavior and the cycle begins again

Things are in point of fact badly broken and they're broken because progressives BROKE them and have resisted all efforts over the last 40 years to enact actual reforms other than more gov/more spending and more experiments on people with meds......and the comedy of it all is that Picton is the one thats usually calling for more gov intervention into peoples lives and more spending......

Wow. Just wow.

Someone here is advocating for greater government intrusion. Hint: it’s not me.

Usually you are

Now you're advocating for continuation of the progressive approach to this......cloward and piven

Overwhelm the system by continued support of progressive policy that continues to release criminals onto the streets to commit crimes against the rest of us

[popcorn]

The 2 shooters were young (early 20's), and they thought up and hatched 2 diabolical plans.

When I was 21, I was thinking of girls, cars, and friends.

What is different today?

There must be a huge number of people with mental health issues now...a HUGE number.

What's different is the media and 24/7/365 coverage of anything remotely titillating that can drive up views and clicks.

There have always been people who are a little off. Not certifiable, not diagnosed, more or less normal people who are a little slow or have a hard time paying attention or who had a particularly stressful upbringing. Think of Private Pyle in Full Metal Jacket. Normal chubby kid who got pushed to his wits end and shot someone and himself because he couldn't cope. Want a real world example? There was a guy at a WW2 POW camp in Utah who lit up sleeping German POWs with a machine gun just because he wanted to kill them. No one hears about it because the Army wanted it swept under a rug and him locked away in a funny farm.

People who are on society's edge used to be locked away, like in the old Bridgewater nut ward. Those places were hell in many cases. Probably a good amount of people should never have been in there, like how some states like Vermont just locked away Indians and French Canadians because the state could. Or children from unwed, teenage mothers. Probably kept some of the dangerous ones away from society though.

The video game comment(s) are getting old. How they hell can anyone even have that asinine thought run through their head?

Considering the age demographic of the shooters and the video game demographic, the overlap is virtually 100%. That's like saying drinking water causes shootings, since 100% of shooters drank water.

MAYBE you could have made this argument in the early 90s. Maybe, grasping at straws. But now it makes absolutely no sense.

The video game comment(s) are getting old. How they hell can anyone even have that asinine thought run through their head?

Considering the age demographic of the shooters and the video game demographic, the overlap is virtually 100%. That's like saying drinking water causes shootings, since 100% of shooters drank water.

MAYBE you could have made this argument in the early 90s. Maybe, grasping at straws. But now it makes absolutely no sense.
Not to mention if playing "violent" video games (given the LARGE amount of people playing them) = mass shooter, we should be having mass shootings every hour of the day.

Stable people don't have a problem. They can rationalize but those that are unstable can be affected. I actually witnessed a change in a person with psychological issues when they started playing a violent video game. There is much more child care being done in front of a screen then what there was years ago and that's not good. There is much less socialization and that's not good. More than 20% of millennials claim to have no friends, poll finds

Not to mention if playing "violent" video games (given the LARGE amount of people playing them) = mass shooter, we should be having mass shootings every hour of the day.

"little jimmy was a happy child and good student. It all changed when he got 360 no scoped one too many times".

Prudes have been whining about violent video games for decades. The argument is still pathetic.

Church is a big one. And I'm not talking about the religious aspect either. Every Sunday the whole village (neighborhood) would get together and everyone knew everyone. Neighbors knew neighbors and their kids. The whole neighborhood took part in raising the kids in the neighborhood. We feared getting in trouble with the adults in the neighborhood as much as our own parents.

Back
Top Bottom