Trump gun control, update post 529 Trump No Longer Backing “Red Flag” Law, Background Check Changes

imo the video quality of todays' first person shooter games desensitizes some people with respect to violence, in addition the current graphic violence in movies has served the same purpose, both without any consequences .

The video game comment(s) are getting old. How they hell can anyone even have that asinine thought run through their head?

Considering the age demographic of the shooters and the video game demographic, the overlap is virtually 100%. That's like saying drinking water causes shootings, since 100% of shooters drank water.

MAYBE you could have made this argument in the early 90s. Maybe, grasping at straws. But now it makes absolutely no sense.

Mortal Combat was played by the Senate. What a time to be alive.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD-Afpg4P2U

he really missed the chance to call on Holywood to cut back on the violence in movies.
..and news media for sensationalizing/focusing on violence every day.

I’ve always thought violent video games are a red herring. They can maybe push some marginal kids in one way or another, but so can a bunch of other variables.

It’s no reason to ban anything.

I played so many violent video games as a kid, you'd think I would have turned out to be a psychopath. Not so much.
Same. Started out with sega genesis + computer games (Doom, half-life etc) in the 90s all the way through 2013ish with PS3 (first person shooters, GTA etc). Haven't played since and I never harmed/killed anyone.

I really want to hear/see Mr LaPierre giving his reply assuming he’s done shopping for a new suit today. Will it be a plea for more donations or throwing people under the bus and then asking for
More donations?

The four entities I've been donating to for years are NRA, Ducks Unlimited, GOAL and Comm2A. I am really going to have to think hard about whether or not I still want to contribute to NRA. If I stop though, I may have to give up my membership to one (or possibly both) of the gun clubs I currently belong to. That would suck. :/

Same. Started out with sega genesis + computer games (Doom, half-life etc) in the 90s all the way through 2013ish with PS3 (first person shooters, GTA etc). Haven't played since and I never harmed/killed anyone.

I had Genesis. Before that I had the original 1987 Sega Mastersystem! Gangster Town was a cool first person shooter game for that system. But into the 90's I played a lot of Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Lethal Enforcers (at the arcade), Bond on N64 (I was pretty much addicted to that game). By the time GTA came out I was getting away from video games and trying to get back to more time spent outdoors. Who knows what I could have turned into had I continued on the path of stealing cars and beating up hookers on GTA. ;)

The four entities I've been donating to for years are NRA, Ducks Unlimited, GOAL and Comm2A. I am really going to have to think hard about whether or not I still want to contribute to NRA. If I stop though, I may have to give up my membership to one (or possibly both) of the gun clubs I currently belong to. That would suck. :/

Just don't tell them.

I hope you are right, but i am concerned. I dont like Trump's knee jerk respose about supressors, "I dont like them, we are going to look at that". I dont like what he and the NRA did about bump stocks. The NRA leadership is as bad as Congress with their only focus on staying in power with their hands controlling the money. Teump floated "Strong" background checks in return for border security. The 2nd Amendment shouldnt be a negotiation point for him. Shows he might be willing to sell out gun rights for a political win. Concerning indeed.

I think you misread most NES members here. All Trump did here is appease the dems and sound presidential, with his, something has to be done talk. That's what America wants to here the President say. Don't hold your breath waiting for Trump to institute more gun control than we already have. I've said it before ad I'll say it again. He gave up bump stocks because he was advised that overall none of us gave a rip about having a bump stock in the first place. I thought it was a great "political" move for him to give up something that you and I didn't even want. While we are all extremely thinned skinned about losing any 2A ground. Any ground at all. Losing the bump stock didn't really affect the gun toting masses one bit. Try that with AR'S though, and any President will buy himself a second revolution, in his own backyard.

But I would venture to guess that as a kid you also didnt live online

that you probably were not one of the kids that when they did get out sat around as a group silently texted each other and others instead of interacting with each other.

IOW....the video game was a game.....it didnt become your life or a very large portion of your percieved reality
Good point. Online video games didn't really take off (for me anyway) until I had a PS3 and played COD etc. By then I was in my early 20s. And back when I played video games on Sega, N64, PS2 etc. I actually did go outside and interact with friends etc. A LOT different nowadays.

Usually you are

Now you're advocating for continuation of the progressive approach to this......cloward and piven

Overwhelm the system by continued support of progressive policy that continues to release criminals onto the streets to commit crimes against the rest of us

jpk, I like many of your posts. Picton is fine. Let's focus on getting results from Our President.

I don't think the "infringe" argument is very strong. A lot of Constitutional rights have restrictions. The 1st Amendment says "The Congress shall make no law respecting ..." and lists a bunch of rights. Yet we have laws regarding the press, free speech, freedom of assembly, etc. It's generally accepted that rights are not unfettered.

Plus, the obvious retort is should "arms" include rocket launchers and missiles? Most people are going to reject the idea that everybody should be able to buy a rocket launcher no matter how much you claim there should be no infringements based on the wording of the Constitution.

Kids that play video games all day in momma's basement lack any mental capacity for the real world. Lanza's. Get a real life and grow the F up!

Video games? Everything he has said today was like throwing overboard 3 days old bait from the lobster boat to get seagulls away from dropping on fresh lobsters. Keep pulling lobsters and leave seagulls to fight among themselves!

Video game violence my btt! [kiss] It was proven that we have better pilots and drone pilots because of video games. I am sure they were not learning on Mario Cart only!

I had Genesis. Before that I had the original 1987 Sega Mastersystem! Gangster Town was a cool first person shooter game for that system. But into the 90's I played a lot of Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Lethal Enforcers (at the arcade), Bond on N64 (I was pretty much addicted to that game). By the time GTA came out I was getting away from video games and trying to get back to more time spent outdoors. Who knows what I could have turned into had I continued on the path of stealing cars and beating up hookers on GTA. ;)
Oh man, Goldeneye on N64 was beyond addicting. I can't even imagine the number of weeks possibly months spent playing that game with friends and family. I'll never forget playing that for the first time circa 1997? Got a N64 for christmas that year and coming from Sega, I was absolutely shocked by the graphics and fun factor etc.

From trumps twitter feed this morning:

“We cannot let those killed in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, die in vain. Likewise for those so seriously wounded. We can never forget them, and those many who came before them. Republicans and Democrats must come together and get strong background checks, perhaps marrying........this legislation with desperately needed immigration reform. We must have something good, if not GREAT, come out of these two tragic events!”

Bob

Strong background checks? How is that different from what we already have? See where I'm going with this?

Oh man, Goldeneye on N64 was beyond addicting. I can't even imagine the number of weeks possibly months spent playing that game with friends and family. I'll never forget playing that for the first time circa 1997? Got a N64 for christmas that year and coming from Sega, I was absolutely shocked by the graphics and fun factor etc.

In '98 or '99 I had some friends who lived in a party house where people pretty much came and went as they pleased. The place was trashed and the doors were never locked. I would frequently go there after classes to wait for the gang to show up, and I'd often fire up Bond and just play by myself. Well it became an issue where I would be sitting on that couch playing Bond all the f*cking time whether or not anyone was actually home. Hahaha! They had an intervention with me and I chilled out on it.

Sadly, I only know the easy answer. SOMETHING or THINGS has gone off the rails in this country. I had full access to many firearms in the sixties, as well as most of my friends, and nobody even thought of going on a shooting rampage.

Please, do not miss my point entirely. You will keep your guns in the same way how you would keep your old flip phone. Nobody will be knocking on your doors.......Everything else will be gone. Ranges, forums, manufacturers, and if you will raise your voice you will be the leftover white nutzi which needs a treatment.

Ok. So we keep our guns. Ammo too. Reloading supplies too. So your saying stock up now?

Grew up in the late 50's and 60's.

Entertainment: riding bikes, sandlot football/baseball, fishing,BB guns, building forts in the woods, etc.

No video games, no internet, no BS - just fun,fun,fun.

Pity the kids today.

LOL, we thought Pong was great!! Think about how lame it actually was. Then Pacman came out and it was off to the races. Anyway, I never played a video game after the mid seventies.

Video games as a tool/entertainment is one thing

When the tool playing the game has no life/social interactions with people then it becomes their reality to some degree

Yes. But we can say the same about any hobby, including gun collecting. ;)

When I was a kid we were playing cowboys and indians. We have made our own bows and arrows, sling shots, and we were pretty violent little bastards. Every summer few of us ended up in the local hospital. I would say that we have had plenty of social interaction but in today's world we would be spending time in juvenile detention facility or we would be watching CNN in a Prozac haze.

Back
Top Bottom