• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trump angling to ban those with mental illness from owning guns

I would take this a step further. Take guns out of the equation for one minute. The bar needs to be that someone is mentally unhealthy to the point where they are a danger to themselves or others. If a person is deemed such a threat the State must take custody and provide full-time care and health services to that person until deemed healthy enough to return to society. Just as if they were imprisoned for committing a crime - the State is on the hook to rehabilitate the person. If the person does not meet that mental health bar, then they are legally no threat to themseves or others and shall have the full rights of every other free citizen - including the right to keep and bear arms.

I'll bite. Because the devil’s in the details.

I’m not sure I disagree with you, but just for fun, go ahead and define it clearly. Tell us precisely what lines are acceptable, mental health wise, for infringement. Then, sit back and watch as your reasonable suggestions get shat on by nearly everyone here. Because one man’s “reasonable limits” is another man’s “unconstitutional infringement.”

I’m not trying to be a jerk; I’m just saying the same thing I tell my students. “Do something!” sounds great, but real solutions requiring community buy-in? That’s hard.
I agree, but I also think the typical danger is when the door is open to legislation the danger isn't that moderate solutions will be proposed as hard coded limits, with build in safeguards against probable vectors
of abuse- the danger is that nebulous things get put into play (for example, like this poorly set up "ERPO!" thing that Linstain wants, that is basically throwing bologna at the wall ) like for instance- given the way that PP status evolves in the current MH system- one has to wonder whether the fact that certain people are "skating" is because of institutional sloth, laze, or what have you. Like for example- are the people in the system where doctors have said "well, this guy should probably be adjudicated mentally defective, but that entire process is too much of a pain in the ass, so we won't even bother with that, yet, until something bad happens" etc. I think some investigation needs to be done to see what the realities of the current system are like.

-Mike
I work in the mental health system. A commitment hearing is done when the psychiatrist feels that the patient is so ill that letting them go would pose a risk to themselves or others. A treatment plan that includes forced meds is either approved or modified by the judge. The person can be held for up to 6 months, then another hearing has to be done if the hospital wants to keep the patient longer. Usually the patient is given the option to sign a conditional voluntary notice or rescind a thre day notice before a comittment hearing, the idea is to provide a less restrictive option. If the patient refuses or the doctor refuses the CV, the hearing goes forward.

Clearly it’s an involved process, as it should be because a citizens rights are at stake!

I agree any route whether it be mental health or any other reason sides to deny the right to firearms should have a way to challenge the decision and provide due process
And one that doesn't make you chose between your rights and ending up homeless buried in lawyers fees.
The government can outspend you any day of the week.
That tired old trick needs to go.
That leaves only the wealthy able to secure their rights.

I work in the mental health system. A commitment hearing is done when the psychiatrist feels that the patient is so ill that letting them go would pose a risk to themselves or others. A treatment plan that includes forced meds is either approved or modified by the judge. The person can be held for up to 6 months, then another hearing has to be done if the hospital wants to keep the patient longer. Usually the patient is given the option to sign a conditional voluntary notice or rescind a thre day notice before a comittment hearing, the idea is to provide a less restrictive option. If the patient refuses or the doctor refuses the CV, the hearing goes forward.

Clearly it’s an involved process, as it should be because a citizens rights are at stake!
In your opinion, being in the field, how hard would it be for the government to go shrink shopping till they found one who would go along ?

I'll bite. Because the devil’s in the details.

I’m not sure I disagree with you, but just for fun, go ahead and define it clearly. Tell us precisely what lines are acceptable, mental health wise, for infringement. Then, sit back and watch as your reasonable suggestions get shat on by nearly everyone here. Because one man’s “reasonable limits” is another man’s “unconstitutional infringement.”

I’m not trying to be a jerk; I’m just saying the same thing I tell my students. “Do something!” sounds great, but real solutions requiring community buy-in? That’s hard.

12A583F2-952F-47CF-A30C-EAB63954B2DC.jpeg

I’ve been saying for the last couple years that this could happen. I guarantee the first place they will look at is the VA for PTSD and meds, they’re trying everything they can think of.

An example of this from my own experience, I recently posted somewhere here about having a pretty severe injury to my hand a few years ago, it’s left me with ongoing neurological issues and tremors in my hand and arm. Sometimes shakes like I have Parkinson’s from the nerve damage.

First neurologist I saw within 5 mins said my hand shakes from PTSD, tried to put me on some head meds and said I need to go to a Neuro-Psyciatrist for follow up. I declined his meds and said I want a second opinion, but would see this other person for their evaluation as well as I really just wanted the use of my hand back.

Fast forward several months after seeing the shrink, he said the tremors were due to the injury thankfully but I requested a copy of his reports for my own records.

It was about a 5 page form where he details all his findings and thoughts on our meeting and the tremors, and in the report were SEVERAL spots on different pages to check off if the patient (me) seeemd at all violent, aggressive, paranoid, well dressed, clean, angry towards others, made any aggressive statements, seemed suicidal or homicidal etc etc.

All it would’ve taken was one of those boxes to be checked “Yes” and I’d be done as far any type of firearms ownership I think. It was definitely eye opening for me in regards to the topic of this thread and how easy it would be if you got the wrong Dr on the wrong day or apparently even if you showed up with a slight hangover, messy hair and in a cranky mood.

Be very careful what you say to anybody these days.

I’ve been saying for the last couple years that this could happen. I guarantee the first place they will look at is the VA for PTSD and meds, they’re trying everything they can think of.

An example of this from my own experience, I recently posted somewhere here about having a pretty severe injury to my hand a few years ago, it’s left me with ongoing neurological issues and tremors in my hand and arm. Sometimes shakes like I have Parkinson’s from the nerve damage.

First neurologist I saw within 5 mins said my hand shakes from PTSD, tried to put me on some head meds and said I need to go to a Neuro-Psyciatrist for follow up. I declined his meds and said I want a second opinion, but would see this other person for their evaluation as well as I really just wanted the use of my hand back.

Fast forward several months after seeing the shrink, he said the tremors were due to the injury thankfully but I requested a copy of his reports for my own records.

It was about a 5 page form where he details all his findings and thoughts on our meeting and the tremors, and in the report were SEVERAL spots on different pages to check off if the patient (me) seeemd at all violent, aggressive, paranoid, well dressed, clean, angry towards others, made any aggressive statements, seemed suicidal or homicidal etc etc.

All it would’ve taken was one of those boxes to be checked “Yes” and I’d be done as far any type of firearms ownership I think. It was definitely eye opening for me in regards to the topic of this thread and how easy it would be if you got the wrong Dr on the wrong day or apparently even if you showed up with a slight hangover, messy hair and in a cranky mood.

Be very careful what you say to anybody these days.
FWIW, a adjudication is needed to trigger a PP status. Mearly one persons opinion is not sufficient.

And will undoubtedly stop people from getting help when they may need it. Plenty of unintended consequences if they go that route.
This is the biggest consequence I see. Huge backfire that can be seen and heard a mile away.

FWIW, a adjudication is needed to trigger a PP status. Mearly one persons opinion is not sufficient.

Let’s hope that stays true, this was an eye opener though, from innocently going to an appt for a hand injury to being looked over and reported on for signs of these other very serious issues without even being asked about any of it is a very slippery slope IMO.

That's why I was saying it needs to be clearly defined. Heck I'm not sure what the exact guideline is but I run into unstable and mentally ill people in portland and I'm not sure many of them were committed but I sure in hell don't think their stable enough to possess a firearm. My guess is that there are some basic guidelines that can be developed and maybe there is a some appeals process for those who feel they are being denied a license unfairly

See, but that’s my point. I don’t think it’s helpful to use the “something should be done!” rhetoric without putting your money where your mouth is and defining “something.” You seem to be using the l know it when I see it standard of disordered thinking, which ain’t good enough.

My “something” is “allow LTC-bearing teachers to carry on campus,” no more and no less. That’s something I can defend, something that might work.

Your reply, with respect, is as nebulous as the politicians on both sides of the aisle, and the same as those kids who survived in Florida. So you’re in good company, at least. But I don’t think it’s useful.

I hope this doesn’t come across as harshly as it might. I just get tired of rhetoric. I hear it all day from well-meaning people with nothing helpful to add

See, but that’s my point. I don’t think it’s helpful to use the “something should be done!” rhetoric without putting your money where your mouth is and defining “something.” You seem to be using the l know it when I see it standard of disordered thinking, which ain’t good enough.

My “something” is “allow LTC-bearing teachers to carry on campus,” no more and no less. That’s something I can defend, something that might work.

Your reply, with respect, is as nebulous as the politicians on both sides of the aisle, and the same as those kids who survived in Florida. So you’re in good company, at least. But I don’t think it’s useful.

I hope this doesn’t come across as harshly as it might. I just get tired of rhetoric. I hear it all day from well-meaning people with nothing helpful to add

I'm pretty sure that doctors who have more expertise than I could develop some guidelines. For example if the person is on numerous phsycomaticeds than that might be a case for additional checks. A kid who has had violence issues at school and multiple run ins with police, again should be checked out further. We can play word games all day and state "No Restrictions period!" I'm realist and this sh*t train is coming down the tracks. I'd rather get out in front of any legislation than whine on this site when it's passed. I've put to much time and too much money behind fighting for 2A rights to just sit idle. So I hope GOAL and the other 4 orga that get my money step up and get a lot more involved than just pulling the same story line. My gut tells me we are in for a world of hurt if we just do what was done in the past.

Let’s hope that stays true, this was an eye opener though, from innocently going to an appt for a hand injury to being looked over and reported on for signs of these other very serious issues without even being asked about any of it is a very slippery slope IMO.
I agree

You want to go back and re-read my post?

Didnt say banning firearms per se.....said locking up people who are an overt threat to everyone else and explicitly said it needs to involved due process......

Cant argue that there are not people who have demonstrated they have no business being free

Hell...this turd in Fla had popo at his house 39 times

Was kicked out of school

FBI had two reports of overt threats.....

If he wasnt the poster child for my argument what is?

There also needs to be a process for returning people to public life complete with full rights
Agree with all of this. My wife is a clinical psychologist, almost certainly not representative of the majority of practioners. Her take on this is crazy is hard to defined, but when you see it, it's obvious. Very subjective on the face of it, but not difficult to defend with competent, unbiased examination.

My take on this is she's probably right. But where's the due process, and the way out after successful treatment? Doc L is wicked smart, but I don't have the same faith in everyone that gets a license to practice.

Definitely. And it's already the law that someone involuntarily committed is a PP. So we need to ask what's the point of his statement? Is he just not aware?

Let’s take an example from the past: remember in the 80’s when that whole event happened with Ozzy Osbourne where parents were trying to get his music banned or sue him as they blamed his music for their suicides? Imagine if they had labeled you a mentally deficient because you liked his music but had no inclination of self-harm or harm to others.

This can get ugly really fast. Next thing you’ll know anyone who believes in an invisible savior will be considered mentally deficient.

I'm pretty sure that doctors who have more expertise than I could develop some guidelines. For example if the person is on numerous phsycomaticeds than that might be a case for additional checks. A kid who has had violence issues at school and multiple run ins with police, again should be checked out further. We can play word games all day and state "No Restrictions period!" I'm realist and this sh*t train is coming down the tracks. I'd rather get out in front of any legislation than whine on this site when it's passed. I've put to much time and too much money behind fighting for 2A rights to just sit idle. So I hope GOAL and the other 4 orga that get my money step up and get a lot more involved than just pulling the same story line. My gut tells me we are in for a world of hurt if we just do what was done in the past.

I just disagree that anything you have suggested will stop a single act of violence.
Adding more people to a "no gun" list will be no more effective than a "gunfree zone" sign. The best case scenario is people being unjustly denied thier right.
Also do you have any idea how many pill americans consume?

There is only one solution, get rid of the gunfree zones offer training to staff.this wont prevent a shooting, but it could stop it. Some say it won't work because these people want to die. What they want more than to die is to kill.

So we'll either kill them at the school, or they target a softer target.
So while it might deter a school shooting or stop one. It still won't prevent any act of violence ...because it just not possible

More and more people are carrying..thats all we can do.id rather be in a shootout than a massacre.

all gun owners from all gun groups need to take to twitter and tweet that we will not support him if he supports gun control in any fashion including stripping citizens of their 2A rights.

Troubling, considering mental illness is 100% subjective. There are no lab tests to confirm or deny a mental illness diagnoses, it merely depends on a persons opinion. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see where this could lead.

The post above are for general context, this is not a reply to either of them.

OK, I think we can all agree there are crazy people out there that should not have guns (whatever you standard for crazy enough may be). I'm going to use "crazy" to mean mentally ill to the point where we don't want them to have a gun.

So the question becomes first, how do you qualify crazy, and second, how do you determine a person is or isn't.

Currently it's pretty clear. A crazy person has to have been adjudicated mentally incompetent. This doesn't actually provide a clear, free from interpretation, test. But it does provide due process, so a person has the opportunity to provide opinions favorable to themselves.

The hype seems to be about finding an easier, or better, way of determining this, preferably before an individual takes any clear action.

It's easy to look at the shooters past and say it was full of red flags, but acting on those would have meant either denying a right without due process or using highly subjective criteria to adjudicate someone as mentally ill (which without confinement would have certainly made the situation worse).

I've had a brief email exchange with a noted forensic psychologist (and attorney) who specializes in violent behavior, about the scale used to determine risk. It's a simple scale going from "Low Risk" to "High Risk", there is no "zero risk". This is important because the best case scenario is that a subject will be determined to be a "Low Risk" of violent behavior. Guess how the courts will interpret a report that finds the individual to be a "Low Risk"? The point is, that whatever standard is used to determine crazy, it has to be extremely clear.

So, how would you determine "Crazy". I honestly don't think there is a good solution for this. How many visits from the PD are too many? How many complaints, and from whom, are too many? Do you do a psych eval on everyone, or just on those who want to buy a gun? Lots of way to abuse this, no good answers.

I do think this was part of what suitability in MA was supposed to be, but insufficient language and courts that were looking for an excuse to deny, regardless of a real need, turned it into simple oppression. I actually tried to get my rep to put in a bill subtly changing suitability by requiring that a specific incident had to be identified and that it must have occured within 5 years (misdemeanor assaults only count for 5 years), but you can imagine the reaction I got from a Lib Dem (Fudd gun owner).

Anyway, what are your specific ideas for identifying crazy before something happens?

Go along with what exactly?
I'm willing to bet that if you looked around you could find one that thinks the very fact you want to own guns in a sign of a possible dangerous mental condition.
Now say this guy is the one whom the state picks to defer to as the go to guy or gal to make that determination.

I'm willing to bet that if you looked around you could find one that thinks the very fact you want to own guns in a sign of a possible dangerous mental condition.
Now say this guy is the one whom the state picks to defer to as the go to guy or gal to make that determination.

The medial field is full of leftists, I had a nurse threaten to slash my tires because I voted for trump. I wouldn’t be hard imo.

I just disagree that anything you have suggested will stop a single act of violence.
Adding more people to a "no gun" list will be no more effective than a "gunfree zone" sign. The best case scenario is people being unjustly denied thier right.
Also do you have any idea how many pill americans consume?

There is only one solution, get rid of the gunfree zones offer training to staff.this wont prevent a shooting, but it could stop it. Some say it won't work because these people want to die. What they want more than to die is to kill.

So we'll either kill them at the school, or they target a softer target.
So while it might deter a school shooting or stop one. It still won't prevent any act of violence ...because it just not possible

More and more people are carrying..thats all we can do.id rather be in a shootout than a massacre.

I respect your position but mine is that the argument of more people carrying will need to be followed with those people being vetted and that means a mental health check. I do think we need to guard our schools better and I also believe our crap position on mental health for the past 20+ years is coming home to roost and we can do something about it. Plus I also know a lot of people that carry would have more loads in their pants than loads into the perp given a shootout situation but that's another topic all together.

Anyway, what are your specific ideas for identifying crazy before something happens?

I got nothing.

I don’t think it can be done to any reasonably accurate standard, or at least not accurately enough that I’d feel comfortable using it as a basis to infringe ANY enumerated rights.

So I think focusing on preemptive diagnoses of mental disorders is a dead end. This is one of those cases, to me, where our freedom leads to less safety.

Exactly this.

I got nothing.

I don’t think it can be done to any reasonably accurate standard, or at least not accurately enough that I’d feel comfortable using it as a basis to infringe ANY enumerated rights.

So I think focusing on preemptive diagnoses of mental disorders is a dead end. This is one of those cases, to me, where our freedom leads to less safety.

Back
Top Bottom