truly drop in glock replacement/conversion barrels

greencobra

NES Member
a good friend needs my help. i can't give him any cause my experience in this is only minimal. he wants to buy a barrel to convert his glock 27/.40 into a 26/9mm. i say good luck, most replacement barrels usually just don't drop in without some fitting. this has been my experience. unless i've missed something over the years. i did have a lone wolf g20 barrel just "drop in" and function fine. which barrel vendor has the rep of working out of the box? is there one? i would suspect that replacement would need to be way undersized to do as advertised, no? spill all you know on the subject, please.

Agreed on Lone Wolf. Dropped a Lone Wolf barrel into my Glock 23 making it a Glock 19. Zero issues.

Check to see if Storm Lake makes a barrel for this conversion. Top quality shop in Tennessee. Match quality in general but will be built to drop in specs. I converted a G35 to 9mm and that thing is a tack driver. Simple drop in too.

+1 for KKM.

And I think Storm Lake has been gone for a long time.
Damn, you are right! Storm Lake ended up as part of the Freedom Group and was shuttered as part of the Remington debacle. I knew them when they were independent- great folks, great product at a very good price. I'd say significantly better than Lone Wolf and not far from KKM level quality.

+1 for the KKM barrels.

Something anyone swapping Glock Barrels and/or slides should note:

Stock Glock components (slides, barrels, frames) and the tolerances where they interface have generous enough clearance to ensure top reliability. Aftermarket parts designed to enhance accuracy will likely have tolerances to provide a tighter fit to the stock parts they interface with. Mixing brands of aftermarket parts might require some fitting to get things running smoothly.

For example, some aftermarket slides have rail inlets that are tighter on stock Glock rail inserts. P80 rail inserts are a little on the fat side so that they have a close fit to the more generous inlets on a stock Glock slide. A tighter toleranced aftermarket slide likely won't fit on a P80 rail.

Same situation can happen for barrels. A KKM barrel has tolerances that will be a little tighter in a stock Glock slide. Some aftermarket slides will have tolerances that fit tighter to a stock Glock barrel. Try to combine that KKM barrel with an aftermarket slide and you will likely need to do some fitting as the slide to barrel fit will be too tight to function reliably, if at all.

Looks like you've already received some good suggestions here, but I can also add I've had good experience with the ZEV Pro Match Barrels by ZevTech. My experience has been they are a true "drop in" barrel.

tell him to make sure to change the ejector and extractor. And ofc 9mm mags.
I've heard this, but I have several hundred, if not over a thousand rounds through a 9mm G23 with no issues at all. I'm not sure how many rounds is 'good enough' for everyone, but I carried that gun for almost a year before I got the 43x. May go back to it since the 43 is so small as to be hard to shoot well for me.

Edit: ME THREE...for what it's worth.

I've heard this, but I have several hundred, if not over a thousand rounds through a 9mm G23 with no issues at all. I'm not sure how many rounds is 'good enough' for everyone, but I carried that gun for almost a year before I got the 43x. May go back to it since the 43 is so small as to be hard to shoot well for me.

Edit: ME THREE...for what it's worth.
Changing the extractor and ejector is starting to sound like the exploding Glock urban legend.

Back
Top Bottom