• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Criterion Barrels

snowballs

NES Member
Anyone have any experience with Criterion barrels?

Doing an AR build and thinking of using their 223 Wylde 16" 1/8 twist.

Thannks.

Yes. I’ve had a 12.5” hybrid, 11.5” core, and a 16” 6.5CM Hybrid.

Love them. Though, be warned that for a while their 16” 223 Wylde offering had a rather large gas port. Not sure why it deviated so much from the others and I’m not sure if it still does.

What does "matching bolt" mean, and what does it do for accuracy? Is it just a bolt that properly heads paces?

Yes, as far as I’m aware. There’s theoretical better precision with a tighter (but still in spec) headspace. But I don’t know how much they actually sort to find that. I think it’s just confirmation of a bolt that meets headspace specs.

I’ve always viewed that aspect as somewhat of a marketing thing. But the bolts are BCM, so there’s no harm in getting the bolt added to the order. For their 6.5 CM barrels, they use JP high pressure bolts as add-ons.

What does "matching bolt" mean, and what does it do for accuracy? Is it just a bolt that properly heads paces?
If you order from Criterion, they’ll send it with a bolt they picked out that closes tight on a go-gauge.

Their explanation is that they don’t do anything special in manufacturing, they just try a bunch until they find one that’s tight.

Yes.

But it is nuanced.

If your ammo case-to-chamber fitment is tight- then headspace is not important. However, If it is not and the round is "loose" in the chamber it can be moved around somewhat unpredictably by the bolt with wrong (usually too wide head space) which will result in inconsistent shot grouping. And since usually chambers are a bit oversized to accommodate ammo variations and dirt/ lube - the mating of the bolt to the chamber does play a vital role in positioning the round always the same way.

So if you are making your own ammo matched to your barrel (chamber) your headspace is not that important as long as it is on the tight side. If you are making a combat ready- real world rifle where accuracy has to be above average (think DMR) and you will be using all kinds of ammo - then tight and within spec headspace is important.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom