Troy folding rear sight doesn't fold flat

groundscrapers

NES Member
Is this a common issue with these? My front sight collapses flat and clicks into the detents but the rear will fold until it hits the bumps machined into the back of it.

It seems as if its mounted in backwards because the other side looks like it would fold flat and lock in.

Attachments

• BUIS DE monted.JPG
    BUIS DE monted.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 80
I have 2 of these sights. They both fold flat with about .015" to .020" clearance between the ear of the sight and the side of the upper. I measured the inside width of the ears. It is about .665". The width at the rear of my upper measures .630". HTH
Charlie

I would have thought it wouldn't be a problem seeing as they were the stock sights that came on my M&P15T upper but who knows.

Everything looks correct in your photo. Either the inside width of the ears is too small or the upper is too wide. Measuring with calipers would tell. Do you have another upper you can compare with? It could also be a case of "tolerance stacking" where the the width of the sight ears is at min. and the upper is at max. I doubt this as there appears to be a generous amount of clearance on my 2 sights.
Charlie

I resolved the problem. The sight has to be mounted as far back on the rail as possible. When it folds down the nubs are just wide enough to clear the flat area in front of the charging handle BUT NOT the picatinny rail.

Happy to hear you fixed it. I looked at several BUIS and the Troy was the best for my purposes. I just looked at my two uppers again. There is quite a variation in the milling at the rear. On my Anvil Arms upper the clearance milling extends 1/4" forward of the charging handle latch mortise. The CMMG upper milling stops at the mortise. I can't tell from your photo what yours is. I think Troy's instructions say to mount the sight with the crossbolt in the rearmost slot.
Charlie

that photo is a generic one I found that would show what I needed. I was working with no instructions because I got them as parts from smith and wesson.

Back
Top Bottom