Trigger lock or cable lock, why use one over the other?

A recent handgun purchase had a trigger lock installed by the store. When I was going through the box it came with, there was also a cable lock in there. Is there any benefit or drawbacks from using one over the other? Off the top of my head, I don't know if the cable lock might be "less good" since the slide needs to be pulled back for it.
Any thoughts are appreciated. [grin]

there are quite a few guns that a trigger lock just flat out won't work on. Lever action, Augs and probably others. If a company sells anything that a trigger lock won't work on they may have standardized on the cable.

Also, many times, you can still pull the trigger on a gun that has a trigger lock. So, for that one idiot that loaded the gun, cocked it, put the trigger lock on, shot himself in the foot and then sued for millions, there could also be a potential liability issue there as well.

cable lock, mag well empty,or through the chamber out the muzzle, slide back. No chance of negligent firing..

Both are easily defeated and don't prevent someone from stealing the gun. Most trigger locks can be levered off the gun with a screwdriver if you don't care about the finish. Bolt cutters from Home Despot can likely cut off the cable lock in a heartbeat.

A trigger lock doesn't prevent someone from loading the gun and charging the chamber. If you don't put the trigger lock on tightly enough, you can even fire the gun without removing the trigger lock. That is not true of the cable lock.

MA law allows either to be used for storage of a gun, but neither are legal for transport (for transport, you need to the gun in a locked trunk, locked case, or other secure container).

And as seanc stated, a trigger lock simply won't work on some guns.

I like trigger locks for my handguns since they seem to be easier (IMO) to get off the gun. Not so much an issue now that I have a gunvault.

For my hunting guns, I like cable locks. If you forget the key a leatherman can cut through it easily. Do you need to ask how I know this....

I'm sitting babysitting a server that refuses to work, so I can't easily look it up, but I recall that Dealers MUST sell a MSP approved lock with a handgun. Perhaps that is the reason.

As for which to use... That's up to you. I prefer cases with locks rather than locks on the guns.

I think it's all about preference. I can store my Glock with the trigger lock on, key in the slot, under the bed. Bump in the night? Quick turn of the key and I'm ready to go.
IMO, a cable lock would take longer to clear. With practice, anything can be just as quick as anything else.

In part it's preference.

A trigger lock is in general less secure (more easily defeated) than a cable lock, but a cable lock is generally more difficult to install and remove.

For a home defense weapon, a trigger lock would be better than a cable lock since it can generally be removed more quickly than a cable lock and with fewer complex motions. A quick access safe is generally even better, but more dificult to conceal.

For a firearm that doesn't need to be accessed immedately (Hunting or target rifle, etc) cable locks do offer better security (though you'll need to get a better one then came in the box if you want to be able to defeat those bolt cutters)

Mostly, both are "feel good" items more than effectively securing the firearm. Cable locks are more useful for other applications (security a shed door, locking your bike or a fence gate etc) than trigger locks, which tend to be prestty specific to firearm triggers.

I would not use either of them to secure a firearm...I have never had a trigger lock put on a gun i bought..but some have came with cable locks...I give em to people for other uses if they want..I don't want that crap on my guns..most are in my safe..so no point to using one...and 1 is loaded around the house near me and def not having any lock on it..

Would a cable lock cause additional wear in the slide spring, since the slide needs to be locked back to use it?
(I guess "needs" is a bit strong, but it would make more sense to me that way)

I'm just looking at both on my desk, thinking about reasons for and against each. I guess I need more work...

Personally, I don't use them but if I did, I would prefer the cable lock. Mainly because it leaves the action open and empty.

I got a few rifles from my Uncle, most of them had trigger locks and 2 had cables and no keys. It took me under 3 minutes to disable them. I was expecting to drill out the lock, so I was gonna make a pilot hole. The bit grabbed the pins and it unlocked. I couldn't believe it, so I tried the next one. Same thing, it was too easy.

They're only use is to satisfy the stupid laws of the state. IMO any child over 5 could easily disable these things.

While I'll not explain in detail on this forum, the average trigger lock can be defeated easily with common household implements and do no damage at all to the gun or lock.

As with any security device, the level of security is generally comparable to the value of the device. There is a reason that secure safes cost good money.

Would a cable lock cause additional wear in the slide spring, since the slide needs to be locked back to use it?

I'm just looking at both on my desk, thinking about reasons for and against each. I guess I need more work...

No.. BUT!
Generally those cables are steel. They are coated with the plastic sheathing. That plastic WILL over time wear. The points that wear most are the ones most in contact with the gun. The steel rubbing on these parts will cause wear. On blue, it will rub/ scuff finish and blue. On the muzzle little nicks there effect the accuracy. So, if you do use these. Keep an eye on it and make sure they're in good shape.

Slightly off topic... I have both trigger locks and cables locks. It really doesn't make much difference to me which ones I use.

However, I do prefer combo locks over keyed locks. No keys to lose or misplace, and with a combo lock you can set them all to the same number. For my bedisde firearm I set the combo to 0-0-0 but store it set to 0-0-1. If I need it in a jiffy, all it takes is one quick turn of the dial to remove it.

My cousin put those combo-lock trigger locks on his guns, and then forgot the combination. It took me about 15 minutes to get them off, just working through the possible combinations.

I like cables better , just because they can be actually make the gun inoperable - unloadable , un - leveable , un rackable , unchamberable. ... are those new words ?

And I have cut them off with a leatherman wave at least a few times when I left my keys on the table ... but I prefer them if I am transportporting several guns at once. What I would like to find , is a set of 3 to 6 that are keyed alike.

I'll use a cable lock, but only when transporting or storing in the car if I don't have a locked case. I just don't like the idea of having a foreign object between the trigger and trigger guard - loaded or not.

A recent handgun purchase had a trigger lock installed by the store. When I was going through the box it came with, there was also a cable lock in there. Is there any benefit or drawbacks from using one over the other? Off the top of my head, I don't know if the cable lock might be "less good" since the slide needs to be pulled back for it.
Any thoughts are appreciated. [grin]

Neither. I use a safe!

And I have cut them off with a leatherman wave at least a few times when I left my keys on the table

I forget which NESer it was - maybe Lord1234? - who left the keys to his cable lock home last year at, I think, an Appleseed Mini. IIRC, we tried defeating the thing with a Leatherman tool but were unable to do so. Ever since then, I've carried a small bolt cutter in my range bag. I refer to it as my "Universal Cable Lock Key".

And I had to use it this weekend when someone did the exact same thing at the Harvard Appleseed. [devil2]

The trick is/was to untwist the cable a bit and cut a few strands at a time. Worked for me. ... I think I did it with my bike a few times when I was in school , too. ... but that was a few hundred years ago.

I think it's all about preference. I can store my Glock with the trigger lock on, key in the slot, under the bed. Bump in the night? Quick turn of the key and I'm ready to go.
IMO, a cable lock would take longer to clear. With practice, anything can be just as quick as anything else.

I am not a lawyer by any means, but it doesn't seem to me that that meets the storage laws in MA. The law says that the lock must be "properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user." It doesn't seem that a lock with a key in the slot would count.

Hint: Both of them are -Garbage-. Don't use either unless it's the only way you can comply with the law at the time. They're worthless for transportation in MA, anyways.

-Mike

I am not a lawyer by any means, but it doesn't seem to me that that meets the storage laws in MA. The law says that the lock must be "properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user." It doesn't seem that a lock with a key in the slot would count.
That would not be my interpretation. The key in the slot allows any unlawfully authorized user to unlock the lock and access the weapon.

repeated compression and expansion of the spring does more damage than leaving it in a permanently compressed state. SHooting the gun will take more of a toll IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom