• 3 Gauze Pads, 4”x4” (2’s)
  • 1 Non-Adherent Dressing, 2”x3”
  • 1 Non-Adherent Dressing, 3”x4”
  • 6 Wound Closure Strips, ¼”x4”
  • 3 Antiseptic Towelettes
  • 1 Triple Antibiotic Ointment 1 oz.
  • 1 Silver Sulfadiazine Cream 50 g.
  • 1 Spray Analgesic 0.2 fl. oz.
My small kit for the house. I have more supplies available in reserve to replenish as needed. Being that this is a home kit, emergency blankets and potable water are in ample supply nearby. This is small, self-contained in a zippered container (about 9"x 6", 3" deep), and easy for my wife and I to access in case of any moderate or major injuries to ourselves or the children. I am not concerned with small bandages, Cortisone, etc... if an injury is mild enough that only a Band-Aid is required, there is plenty of time to gather the necessary supplies.

This is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical care. I want a kit that will let me keep the injured party as stable (and comfortable) as possible while help is en route, especially if weather conditions do not permit quick arrival.

Thoughts? Critiques? Suggestions?

Id probably double up on bandages just in case, more importantly do you know how to use all of those items?
Most of them. I work in a kitchen. Let's just say I have a standing script for the sulfadiazine.

I'm signing up for a Red Cross course within the next couple months. I'll find out then if the stuff I've learned is good technique or not. It's worked well enough so far.

More 4x4s, and preferably add some 5x9s. a moderate to major bleed will go through the 3 4x4s in no time.
2 or more additional triangular bandages to secure a sling or as an improvised pressure dressing.
A tourniquet is a good idea as well if help is an extended time/distance away.

More 4x4s, and preferably add some 5x9s. a moderate to major bleed will go through the 3 4x4s in no time.
2 or more additional triangular bandages to secure a sling or as an improvised pressure dressing.
OK. I wasn't sure of the amount of dressing needed for a serious wound. Thanks for the tip!

A tourniquet will eventually be added, and I can toss a couple more triangular bandages in there (I've got spares of pretty much everything in the kit).

If you know how and when to properly apply a tourniquet, CAT is the way to go. (amazon had the cheapest prices when I was buying them) Definately add more 5x9 and 4x4. Non-adherent dressings are nice to apply directly to a weeping wound (a wound that is not actively gushing blood), but they are more expensive; they would be used mostly for wound care and bandage changes. I did not see any roller gauze in your list, several different sizes are available. I personally like the 4" as it is the most versatile depending on where you are injuried. Some 2" tape is nice, and another roll of 1" tape (because you never know). Also, a small cup (like dixie cup) for stabilizing penetrating wounds and eye injuries (assuming you are waiting for advanced medical care and not removing the object yourself). Is the splinter forcep just tweezers, if not you will want tweezers. Lastly, plastic film (like a ziploc bag) that is clean and stored inside your kit, this is for sucking chest wounds that can be immediately life-threatening. I hope this helps!

A tourniquet is a good idea but for last resorts only, also learn to use pressure points to stop or slow bleeding. If you take the red cross class and they teach cpr, pick up an ambu bag for your kit.

Not sure if its been mentioned but alcohol wipes and a bottle of it.

Should try and get a couple hemostats. Snaps are the medium sized ones. Mosquitos are too small (roach clips) and Kelly's are way too big. Not only good for stopping a big bleeder but good for digging out bigger foreign bodies.

Back
Top Bottom