trasporting guns

Im want to go pheasent hunting a few miles dwon the street from me. My mom said she would drive me. Is that legal. I have my F.I.D card. and hunter saftey course card. I will have the gun in a lock case to. Also my mom doesent have a gun licese at all.

Yes. An unlicensed person can transport you and your firearm, as long as it's stored legally, and they have no access to it.

if the gun is locked and the ammo is separate, then you are fine.

just remember, SUV trunks (or whatever you call them) are not the same as car trunks. (even if you have one of those plastic things that go over the trunk, so people cant see indie)

see, if you keep your gun in the trunk (in a car) then you can lock the trunk and its the same as a locked case. But that doesnt work with SUVs, because you can still have access to the gun. the key, is to not be able to have access to the gun while driving.

if you keep them on the back seat, then you need a case that is locked.

In my hunter safety course the instructors said 'don't go there'. Yes this is correct but do you really want to waste any of your time discussing this with an LEO? I think technically you can carry a single barrel shotgun in one of those pickup rear window racks too. But you will get pulled over.

Locked and out of sight and spend your time hunting and not debating MA guns laws by the side of the road.
It's your time.

Bill

it should be completely fine though i did have this thought when going with my father while he was driving he dosent have a gun or hunting license he just likes to come along for the walk.

I think technically you can carry a single barrel shotgun in one of those pickup rear window racks too.

read my post up there ^ ^

you cant. It has to be locked in a container. either a gun case or CAR trunk (SUVs dont count) period. Thats the law.

and the ammo has to be stored separately.

also, you can leave your car parked, and walk into a store, as long as your gun is out of sight and stored as mentioned above, and on my earlier post.

here is my last post:
if the gun is locked and the ammo is separate, then you are fine.

just remember, SUV trunks (or whatever you call them) are not the same as car trunks. (even if you have one of those plastic things that go over the trunk, so people cant see indie)

see, if you keep your gun in the trunk (in a car) then you can lock the trunk and its the same as a locked case. But that doesnt work with SUVs, because you can still have access to the gun. the key, is to not be able to have access to the gun while driving.

if you keep them on the back seat, then you need a case that is locked.

if you have any doubts (you always shoud, since we are not cops or attorneys) check the laws.

i think the CHSB has them listed. or you can contact your CLEO (chief law enforcement officer), or you can check the Mass state website, which will send you to the CHSB.

heres a link to the CHSB, these are the gun laws. read them and have a general knowledge of them.
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopssubtopic&L=3&L0=Home&L1=Firearms+Registration+%26+Laws&L2=Gun+Laws&sid=Eeops

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom