• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

[Massachusetts] Pellet guns vs Squirrels

In my hunting rules booklet can find:

> NEW – The use of air/pellet guns are prohibited for the purposes of taking/ harvesting deer, bear, turkey, crow, and migratory game birds. Air/pellet guns are also prohibited for the purposes of taking/harvesting ANY species on WMAs stocked with pheasant or quail DURING the pheasant/quail season. (For a list of pheasant and quail stocked WMAs, please see 321 CMR 3.01(1)(n)). Air/pellet guns may be used for all other species during their respective legal open seasons

but also in its squirrel section:

> Use of rifles and handguns is prohibited in Wildlife Management Zones 10-14.

So in zones 10-14 during squirrel season, can I simply go by "pellet guns may be used for all other species", or do hunting laws consider them "rifles"? I can't actually find any wording about this part in the laws - more like a lack of exclusion in the laws about the other species.

I know that the definitions in MGL 140 Section 121 do not include them as they are not "capable of discharging a shot or bullet", and also in case of my concrete air rifles, some don't have a "barrel length equal to or greater than 16 inches" either, meaning they do not fall under "rifle" there either even if I were to ignore the bullet vs pellet part (and obviously nobody sane would ever consider them "handguns") - the only problem is that this section says it applies only to "sections 122 to 131Y", which cover licensing, not hunting, so I can't _really_ go by that.

Also, in case I can do that, I'd probably want to use a springer with a really obnoxious "twang" sound so nobody mistakes it for a firearm :)

In my hunting rules booklet can find:

> NEW – The use of air/pellet guns are prohibited for the purposes of taking/ harvesting deer, bear, turkey, crow, and migratory game birds. Air/pellet guns are also prohibited for the purposes of taking/harvesting ANY species on WMAs stocked with pheasant or quail DURING the pheasant/quail season. (For a list of pheasant and quail stocked WMAs, please see 321 CMR 3.01(1)(n)). Air/pellet guns may be used for all other species during their respective legal open seasons

but also in its squirrel section:

> Use of rifles and handguns is prohibited in Wildlife Management Zones 10-14.

So in zones 10-14 during squirrel season, can I simply go by "pellet guns may be used for all other species", or do hunting laws consider them "rifles"? I can't actually find any wording about this part in the laws - more like a lack of exclusion in the laws about the other species.

I know that the definitions in MGL 140 Section 121 do not include them as they are not "capable of discharging a shot or bullet", and also in case of my concrete air rifles, some don't have a "barrel length equal to or greater than 16 inches" either, meaning they do not fall under "rifle" there either even if I were to ignore the bullet vs pellet part (and obviously nobody sane would ever consider them "handguns") - the only problem is that this section says it applies only to "sections 122 to 131Y", which cover licensing, not hunting, so I can't _really_ go by that.

Also, in case I can do that, I'd probably want to use a springer with a really obnoxious "twang" sound so nobody mistakes it for a firearm :)
In MA DFW parlance, if it's got a rifled bore it's considered a rifle (unless it's a handgun).

In MA DFW parlance, if it's got a rifled bore it's considered a rifle (unless it's a handgun).
So if I were to use my Red Ryder it'd be OK?

Well, it doesn't _kill_ squirrels, just _annoys_ and _hurts_ them... (no, not actually gonna do that, but replacing a barrel at cost of accuracy is I guess always an option)

So if I were to use my Red Ryder it'd be OK?

Well, it doesn't _kill_ squirrels, just _annoys_ and _hurts_ them... (no, not actually gonna do that, but replacing a barrel at cost of accuracy is I guess always an option)
If you're expecting MA hunting regs to be sensible, you're going to be disappointed.

ETA. In my experience communicating with MA DFW, they've been responsive to my inquiries.

Yeah, I've already emailed mass wildlife, but gotten no answer yet. Let's see what they say (also good to ask anyway, as they probably will then take it into account for next year's booklet).

Also, I could always get one like this: Gamo Viper Express Air Shotgun & Rifle | Spring-piston Air Rifle | Airgun Depot - pretty sure this one would be legal to use (and if I manage get within 5 yards of a duck, I could even take that one then, although that's not very likely). Also has that typical rib on top of the barrel so nobody would even be asking any questions ;)

Last edited:
Get your FID when you turn 18 and use a shotgun for your squirrels. Anything else seems unethical to me.

Well, can't use that in the backyard, but yeah, in the field that'd work. Want to keep the total number of guns low.

Indeed, depends a lot on the town. Mine has zero specific rules regarding weapons, so only the state wide setbacks for firearms anywhere and hunting on someone else's property apply.

Not sure if that latter one ("hunt by any means on the land of another within five hundred feet of any dwelling in use") includes land owned by the city/state/country, but in practice that doesn't really matter as usually you'll be >500ft from the nearest dwelling then anwyay.

Last edited:
Or rather, I probably wouldn't risk trying to apply

> https://malegislature.gov/laws/generallaws/partiv/titlei/chapter269/section12e

to patterning a shotgun ("persons using outdoor [...] target or test ranges with the consent of the owner [...] of the land on which the range is established") or killing pests with it ("lawful defense of life and property") less than 500 ft from the next dwelling. Might convince a judge, but sure won't convince the local LEOs who quite surely would get called due to the noise, and I don't really want to end up in court over that. They do seem OK with using pellet rifles for these purposes though.

Yeah, I've already emailed mass wildlife, but gotten no answer yet. Let's see what they say (also good to ask anyway, as they probably will then take it into account for next year's booklet).

Also, I could always get one like this: Gamo Viper Express Air Shotgun & Rifle | Spring-piston Air Rifle | Airgun Depot - pretty sure this one would be legal to use (and if I manage get within 5 yards of a duck, I could even take that one then, although that's not very likely). Also has that typical rib on top of the barrel so nobody would even be asking any questions ;)
To hunt ducks you need a fed duck stamp, have to take an online survey, and use non lead shot.

Have you even taken a hunter Ed course and got a hunting license?

Airguns can take geese and ducks. Not here legally but there are other places where they are used.

I actually called the Environment Police office on causeway Street in Boston. I asked this question they said they would get back to me. The person on the phone told me she wanted to contact some field agents. It took about 24 hours and actually apologized for taking so long. They told me I was ok to hunt squirrel with a pellet gun in zone 10.

Back in the day, a buddy in Belmont, whose house backed up to the elevated B&M railroad bed, would open his dining room window and pick off squirrels hopping along his wooden fence.

Squirrel cacciatore

Back
Top Bottom