• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Turkey Guns

Turkey 2017 is approaching so let's talk turkey guns. I've always used a 12 gauge (Mossberg 835 recently) but I'm looking for something in a smaller gauge with a longer barrel. So what do you guys use for turkey?

I've got my dads older S&W M1000 in 12 gauge. Only likes 3" shells but has a 26 or 28" barrel with a full choke do it does the job. Haven't harvested anything with it yet.

I"ve got my eye on the new Savage semi-auto line of scatter guns. I want something newer with removable chokes. I'd still stick with a 12G though

Any reason you want to go smaller?

Turkey 2017 is approaching so let's talk turkey guns. I've always used a 12 gauge (Mossberg 835 recently) but I'm looking for something in a smaller gauge with a longer barrel. So what do you guys use for turkey?

Why would you want to go smaller than a 12 gauge for turkey? Just curious.
I am no turkey hunter, but I know that my grandfather used a break action single shot 10 gauge for turkeys (ouch!)

4 is less than 12 so that makes it smaller right?

Last edited by a moderator:
A smaller shotgun is capable of taking down a turkey. You don't need to blast it with granddaddy's 10g.
My nephew is getting older and will start hunting with us, want something he can shoot too.

Winchester makes their SXP in a couple of turkey models in both 12 and 20 gauge and they're offering their long beard xr loads in 20 gauge as well. Those loads are the best patterning on the market right now. I was getting killing patterns at 70 yards with 3" 1 3/4oz 5's out of my benelli last year. Handled a SXP with the pistol grip stock on saturday and really liked it.

Any reason you're looking for a longer barrel? Goes against conventional turkey wisdom.

A smaller shotgun is capable of taking down a turkey. You don't need to blast it with granddaddy's 10g.
My nephew is getting older and will start hunting with us, want something he can shoot too.

A 20 gauge may be lighter and easier to haul around, but the effect of recoil can be just as stout with the lighter gun, especially if it's not a semi-auto. I like my Versa Max, and my wife has no problem with it. She does not like my Ithaca 37 20ga. The Remington V3 is what I plan to spend my money on for a field gun.

I haven't done much turkey hunting. I am more into waterfowl and pheasant, as far as birds go. Years ago I bought a used Remington 11-87 that was obviously someone's turkey gun by the way it was setup. I painted it a more marsh-friendly camo pattern, changed out chokes and used it for duck and goose for years. I just retired it for that role, (replacing it with a brand new Winchester SX4) and will be trying again for turkey next month with the Remington.

I finally found an area where I am pretty sure they roost, that is not in my back yard. [laugh] Seriously. Those bastards rule my neighborhood but all the woods around my neighborhood are private and posted.

I am making my Benelli M4 12 gauge defense gun useful. I bought a carlson's turkey choke for it. Just started late last year.
Haven't seen anything yet. Finding them and getting them in close seems to be the challenge. #4 nitro turkey load should hit 'em hard.

Versa-Max with the pattermaster code black turkey choke, hevi-shot magnum blend loads. I've taken two with the magnum blend and it's done well, both were around 35 yards. The versa-max is a very light recoiling shotgun, love it.

Pretty much, though to be precise, I'd say, "The maximum number of pellets they put out." You can load a 12 to have a lighter shot charge than a "regular" 20. The velocity will be about the same, regardless of gauge.

Important thing is to make sure the gun /choke/load combo works. You're not going to want to experiment, or hope when you're in the woods.

Regardless of gauge, you need to pattern the the shotgun and choke you will be using at various distances to determine how close you need turkey to be.

I have started youngsters with a 20 gauge but moved them up to a 12 as soon as they are ready. (Being accurate with a shorter lighter 20 is better than a miss with a longer, heavier 12).

Shot size has a bit do with it (smaller shot = more pellets). I never resolved the argument between # four and # six shot, and never saw a difference on birds. But when Winchester brought out a #5 turkey load, I just went with that and was done with it.

I do have a strong opinion on 12 gauge 3 inch, 12 gauge 3.5 inch, and 10 gauge 3.5 inch. I found all three killed them equally well. But at the same distance (25 -30 yards), the 12 gauge 3.5 inch shot very often punctured into the breast meat. I never saw that happen with 10 gauge or 12 gauge 3 inch. So no more 3.5 inch shells in 12 gauge.

The 10 gauge patterned such that on paper it should kill them farther out. Killed quite a few birds with the 10, but found that once they are responding to call (with or without a decoy) you either get them in close or don't. I never needed the extra range of the 10 gauge so sold it.

So 95% of birds are taken with 12 gauge, three inch ( this from our 235 acres). Larger not found useful. Going smaller to 20 gauge has not presented problems, but we do call them in a little closer for the 20 gauge. Again, not a problem, if you have worked him in for a few hundred yards, getting the last 10 has not been a problem. But you have to pattern Your gun, with Your choke, and the load YOU will be using. Buy a few of the turkey targets showing the spine and brain in yellow. Use them.

So that's my take on turkey guns. YMMV, and I really don't care if it does. Most good turkey hunters I realize don't care too much about what gun you use. Turkey are not difficult to hit or kill (once they are in front of you). We don't talk much on guns and loads for turkey.

The real question is, WHAT CALL(S) DO YOU USE? But thats a whole different question outside of this thread.

This! We use 20 gauge Mossberg 500s. Extra full choke with number 5 Winchester 3 inch turkey loads. Very tight pattern for the old headshot.

- - - Updated - - -

The only difference in gauges is the amount of pellets they put out.

Well not really the only thing. A 20 gauge gives a longer shot string as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Turkeys are tough, I have heard, from multiple experienced hunters, of birds shaking off 20ga.

Then they don't know what they are doing. You aim for the head with a tight pattern on turkey. Its about a tight pattern applied to the birds head......20 or 12 don't matter if you hit em in the head like you are supposed to. If you shoot center mass even with a 12 gauge it won't put em down fast.....And you are ruining the part of the bird that you want....The breast meat.

So your multiple experienced hunter friends either suck a$$ at hunting (aiming center mass on a turkey with a 20 gauge) or are blowing smoke up your a$$.

Last edited:
Mossberg 935 12g. Never failed me during turkey season. Knocks a Gobbler down Solid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering if rifles are legal to hunt turkeys with in the north east? I live in Georgia and it is illegal here because hunters do not ware blaze orange and this would make it dangerous in the woods. This is what I have been told.

I was wondering if rifles are legal to hunt turkeys with in the north east? I live in Georgia and it is illegal here because hunters do not ware blaze orange and this would make it dangerous in the woods. This is what I have been told.

Not in MA:

Hunting Implements:

Shotgun: No larger than 10 gauge using #4-#7 shot.

Muzzleloader: No larger than.775 caliber smoothbore muzzleloading shotgun using #4-#7 size shot.

Archery Equipment: Arrows must have a well sharpened steel broadhead blades not less than 7/8 inches in width. Expanding broadheads are legal. All bows must have a draw weight of at least 40lbs at 28 inches or at peak draw. Air bows, poisoned arrows, explosive tips, bows drawn by mechanical means are prohibited. Crossbows may be used by certain permanently disabled persons by permit only.

Hunter Orange Requirements

-Spring Turkey Season: Hunter orange is not required.
-Fall Turkey Season: Hunter orange is not required except on WMAs stocked with pheasant or quail, in which case a hunter orange hat is required.

Hunting Methods

It is illegal to hunt turkeys with the aid of or using any of the following:
•Bait
•Dogs
•Live decoys
•Electronic calls
•Drive/herd turkeys

I've been using a Mossberg 535 with 3.5" Longbeard XR rounds. I use to use the much more expensive heavier than lead rounds but these Longbeard XR rounds are patterning better than anything else out there for the last few years (at least through my gun.)

The 535 is absolutely punishing with 3.5" shells. Probably the most felt recoil of any gun I've ever shot and thats no joke. I have two friends who refuse to ever shoot a 3.5 out of it again after trying it once.

I've been using a Mossberg 535 with 3.5" Longbeard XR rounds. I use to use the much more expensive heavier than lead rounds but these Longbeard XR rounds are patterning better than anything else out there for the last few years (at least through my gun.)

The 535 is absolutely punishing with 3.5" shells. Probably the most felt recoil of any gun I've ever shot and thats no joke. I have two friends who refuse to ever shoot a 3.5 out of it again after trying it once.

Yeah. That's why more than a handful of turkey hunters are opting for a 20 gauge. Your shooting for the head. As long as the pattern is dense enough a 20 gauge works fine. Absolutely no need in putting yourself through that kind of punishment to hit a turkey in the head.

Yeah. That's why more than a handful of turkey hunters are opting for a 20 gauge. Your shooting for the head. As long as the pattern is dense enough a 20 gauge works fine. Absolutely no need in putting yourself through that kind of punishment to hit a turkey in the head.

I've yet to see a 20 gauge pattern well enough or put out enough pellets to drop a bird at 40-60 yards which is easily achievable with a number of 3.5 shells...has something changed? Of course from 15 yards almost any shotgun can take a bird.

I've yet to see a 20 gauge pattern well enough or put out enough pellets to drop a bird at 40-60 yards which is easily achievable with a number of 3.5 shells...has something changed? Of course from 15 yards almost any shotgun can take a bird.

I'm patterening decent out to 40 yards with 20 gauge. How many of you are literally shooting at birds 50+ yards out?

I'm going to try patterning at 30-35 yds. I'm using an 18.5" 12 gauge defense gun (Benelli M4). With carlson's turkey choke it's probably 20.5".
2 3/4" I should think would work. The gun can take 3". I tried 3" rifled slugs in deer season, and that kicks hard. Guessing less so with 3" shot. But less is more, I would think. Don't want discomfort and a possible flinch.

I'm going to try patterning at 30-35 yds. I'm using an 18.5" 12 gauge defense gun (Benelli M4). With carlson's turkey choke it's probably 20.5".
2 3/4" I should think would work. The gun can take 3". I tried 3" rifled slugs in deer season, and that kicks hard. Guessing less so with 3" shot. But less is more, I would think. Don't want discomfort and a possible flinch.

Why do you assume 3 inch shot kicks less than 3 inch slug? Depends on what 3 inch shot you are using! They are NOT all the same. Look at the weight of the shot on different types of ammo. With a three inch shell it varies from 1 1/2 ounce to just shy of 2 ounces of payload. Ive shot 3 inch birdshot loads and duck loads that'll rattle your fillings......much more recoil than slugs You need to buy different kinds and pattern them and get a feel for the recoil. As far as the thump on the shoulder well......It's only one shot right? Lol.

As far as the flinch......It's a shotgun not a rifle......As long as it's not a panty wetting sob story of a flinch you'll be ok!

However......You do want a good deal of lead going into a tight pattern on a turkeys head. Try some 3 inch loads.....

Im using a 20 gauge for turkey now......Patterns very well to 40 yards.....But I am using a 3 inch load.

Last edited:
Why do you assume 3 inch shot kicks less than 3 inch slug? Depends on what 3 inch shot you are using!

It's a fair assumption, IMO all the slugs i've shot including 2-3/4 have thumped more than 3-1/2" shot loads out of my versamax (which has virtually the same operating system as the M4). Maybe it has something to do with the slug sealing the gas in the barrel better than shot, i'm not sure. You can definitely feel the difference between slugs and shot in any gun IMO.

Anyhow, I shoot 3-1/2 magnum blend just for the extra pellet count, recoil isn't too bad. I'd 100% go with 3" in the M4, it'l shoot just fine. Barrel length makes no difference in accuracy or velocity so 18.5" is not a problem. When you actually shoot a turkey you won't feel anything.

Guys have you not heard about TSS. It will make a 28ga I true turkey killer out to 50 yards. A 12 ga is total overkill for size and weight not to mention a waste of money and letting a 3.5" shell
Stomp you is waaaayyyy silly.

interesting about these lighter gauges. I'm sure they must work for you all. Use what you have, I say.
Not about to buy another lighter weight shotgun for the stupid bird's sake. Let 'em have it, whatever you got!

Back
Top Bottom