Taking your guns across country on a hunt

Lord0fWar

NES Member
folks, need suggestions.

I need to bring 2 long guns to my trip to Louisiana. In your experience...is it better to check them on the plane or send them to the FFL I'll be hunting with? I dont know which is less of a hassle...2 guns in a pelican case seems kind of expensive to ship...

Any thoughts?

Thanks

There have been a couple of threads on this. Read the TSA regs, also your airline's regs, print out copies to take along, get there early, play nice with the TSA people, you should be good to go. Don't rely on a Walmart $20 case - Pelican makes good ones, as do Hardigg Storm and SKB. Take lots of pictures for your jealous friends here on NES.

I go back and fourth to Colorado with mine quite a bit, I use the SKB single gun case and its been great so far. Basically when you check your bags you tell them that one is a rifle then you will go to a special area and the TSA guy will look it over and watch you lock it. My only warning is bring something padded to put your bolt in, some TSA guys make you remove the bolt from the gun and other don't. This happened to me my first time and I had nothing to put the bolt into so I ended up with some marks on my stock from the Bolt hitting during transportation. It was on my browning so I was really bummed :(

Last edited:
Just check it on the plane. Be familiar with the policy of the particular airline prior to getting there. I have never had a problem.

ive checked handguns before...is the process the same for checking a rifle?

Exact same process, you open the case, they check it out, they have you close the case and lock it. If you go with a case or use an older case that has the special "TSA" key then just peel that sticker off, as the TSA specific lock cases are not supposed to be used anymore.

Back
Top Bottom