TRAP, I want to do doubles, tripples, and maybe more! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

I want to shoot doubles and triples for trap. I'm not a competition shooter, but my shooting partner are getting bored with one at a time, week after week.

I'm looking for more of a challenge, and to have some fun. Any recommendations on throwers, that are good for multiple clays?

The one at my club, and the one I own can only do singles without breaking clays.

I'm pretty handy so all "home-made" solutions are welcome!

Really appreciate all the help in advance guys!!

There are no "triples" in "real" Trap, but doubles is a real thing, I've yet to find a non-commercial thrower that does decent doubles. A lot of energy is required to get a pair of birds up to speed.

First - are you say you're shooting at a club? A fair number have fun shoots - today we had a Lucky Bird shoot, where Poaching was allowed (You can shoot a piece of another person's broken bird, and "steal it from them). There's Backup, and Adios, and a lot of others. All these can be shot from a singles trap.

Don't forget Handicap, too.

Triples ???

That's pretty tough with an over/under, you gotta' be really fast. [laugh]

MisterHappyJunior was "playing around" today. He was starting gun down with an 870, and the shell in his right hand. Then he'd call for the bird, toss the shell in, close, shoulder and shoot.....and hit the buggers. Youth has its advantages - he'd be game for tripples! [laugh]

MisterHappyJunior was "playing around" today. He was starting gun down with an 870, and the shell in his right hand. Then he'd call for the bird, toss the shell in, close, shoulder and shoot.....and hit the buggers. Youth has its advantages - he'd be game for tripples! [laugh]

I've seen your son shoot, he's a natural born killer [wink]

I remember a guy at Riverside many years ago named Jerry, he'd be on the skeet range with his O/U, doing triples at station #4.
He'd load two, and put a third in his mouth, then call for doubles.
The puller was instructed to throw a single, either high or low, on the first report.
He'd break the two, then scramble to eject, reload, shoulder and fire before the third bird was out of sight.
He didn't always make it, but it was fun to watch anyway. [laugh]

[smile]
I laughed out loud when I read that!!! I used to do the very same thing with an 870 years a go.

My thrower throws two just fine. Bought it at Dicks for $50. I don't regret it at all, Field and Stream for the win.

Ah yes, the expert 14 year old opinion.

Cheap throwers will not throw two targets with appropriate velocity or distance.

Guys,

I want to shoot doubles and triples for trap. I'm not a competition shooter, but my shooting partner are getting bored with one at a time, week after week.

I'm looking for more of a challenge, and to have some fun. Any recommendations on throwers, that are good for multiple clays?

The one at my club, and the one I own can only do singles without breaking clays.

I'm pretty handy so all "home-made" solutions are welcome!

Really appreciate all the help in advance guys!!

sporting clays,sunday mornings at MRA

Ah yes, the expert 14 year old opinion.

Cheap throwers will not throw two targets with appropriate velocity or distance.

If you are talking about regulation targets (ATA) you are probably correct. If these guys just want to throw their own and it throws doubles, what's your problem with that? Why call them 14 year olds? Grow up yourself asshat.

His shooting partner does have a thrower (Triton 1 step) that can do two at a time, and functions flawlessly. It does however tend to jump around in loose dirt.

Report doubles is something we can try.

His shooting partner does have a thrower (Triton 1 step) that can do two at a time, and functions flawlessly. It does however tend to jump around in loose dirt.

Report doubles is something we can try.

Does that have the option to mount it to a spare tire rim like some do for better stability? Or maybe add some weights or bolt it to a weighted base?

If you are talking about regulation targets (ATA) you are probably correct. If these guys just want to throw their own and it throws doubles, what's your problem with that? Why call them 14 year olds? Grow up yourself asshat.

Because he's actually that age (ish) and yet repeatedly has tried to correct shooters and other members with a much greater depth of experience.

Furthermore, the OP is shooting actual trap, not just random clays. He seems to want to shoot trap doubles which is an actual form of organized trap and is looking for a challenge. While I can set cheap throwers (like the ones at the HSC shotgun field) to throw 3 or 4 at a time, doing so is pointless because you get no velocity and they basically hang in the air for a few seconds and then drop.

We have some very knowledgable young posters on this site - however some (like airsoftboy1) need to learn more before trying to speak as an authority on topics they have little knowledge of. Deer Slayer is very enthusiastic but he knows very little about organized shooting.

Last edited:
At Southborough, we generally throw Trap doubles on the third sunday of the month. Our usual Skeet is wobble skeet...that's a tough game.

If you keep your eyes and ears open, many clubs (such as Maspenock) will do wobble doubles on occasion.

We have a couple '105" shoots at Southborough - 50 singles, 25 'caps and 15 pair of doubles.....that's a challenge.

and to vellnueve - I was trying to back you up - 16 is closer to 14 than to most of the other posters here. I'm not one to disparage youth.....MisterHappyJunior is 13, and teaches ....both lessons, and lessons, if you take my meaning! [laugh]

Because he's actually that age (ish) and yet repeatedly has tried to correct shooters and other members with a much greater depth of experience.

Furthermore, the OP is shooting actual trap, not just random clays. He seems to want to shoot trap doubles which is an actual form of organized trap and is looking for a challenge. While I can set cheap throwers (like the ones at the HSC shotgun field) to throw 3 or 4 at a time, doing so is pointless because you get no velocity and they basically hang in the air for a few seconds and then drop.

We have some very knowledgable young posters on this site - however some (like airsoftboy1) need to learn more before trying to speak as an authority on topics they have little knowledge of. Deer Slayer is very enthusiastic but he knows very little about organized shooting.

I only replied to "I've yet to find a non-commercial thrower that does decent doubles. A lot of energy is required to get a pair of birds up to speed." Saying that I have used my thrower to launch 2 clay targets. I don't understand how I am making fun of or doing anything to anger people (or just you). Read what I said and 14 year old? Theres a 2 year difference and I don't even see how age could come into play here. Why even bring it up? I just brought up the fact that I have thrown 2 with a field and stream thrower. I never claimed to know anything about organized trap shooting in this thread or ever. Why don't you just say how you feel in a mature way with out trying to put people down?

Last edited:
At Southborough, we generally throw Trap doubles on the third sunday of the month. Our usual Skeet is wobble skeet...that's a tough game.

If you keep your eyes and ears open, many clubs (such as Maspenock) will do wobble doubles on occasion.

We have a couple '105" shoots at Southborough - 50 singles, 25 'caps and 15 pair of doubles.....that's a challenge.

and to vellnueve - I was trying to back you up - 16 is closer to 14 than to most of the other posters here. I'm not one to disparage youth.....MisterHappyJunior is 13, and teaches ....both lessons, and lessons, if you take my meaning! [laugh]

Neither do I - there's a kid at my local club who outshoots me regularly in skeet and skeet doubles, and he's about up to my thorax. We also had a former member here (m44) who really knew his milsurp material.

Why don't you just say how you feel in a mature way with out trying to put people down?

What I feel is that 95% of your posts are posts stating how something you do or something you have or want is the only way to go.

I'm also irritated by anyone who says "for the win"

Last edited:
What I feel is that 95% of your posts are posts stating how something you do or something you have or want is the only way to go.

Absolutely not. Thats not true what did the Field and Stream for the win make you mad? Look at my posts and figure it out, nearly 95% of my posts are about helping people with questions they have asked or congratulating them for new accomplishments and or achievements. This is a forum not a heated debate over some form of politics, don't exactly see why its needed to argue and bring up unproductive things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom