Transporting in NH with MA LTC

I have some coworkers who are going to MFL in Manchester this weekend and have invited me. I live in MA and have an unrestricted LTC. I haven't gotten around to applying for my non resident NH concealed carry permit, but I will soon. My question is, can I legally transport firearms from MA to NH with my MA LTC so long as they are unloaded and in a locked case?

i have a non-res permit, but from the days of old when i lived in NH i recall that you only need a permit to ccw. loaded in plain view was ok, but permit for ccw. things may have changed in the last 13 years [sad2]

It doesn't need to be locked and you can open carry it without a permit. Must be unloaded while in car. It can be sitting on the seat next to you with the mag right next to it, just not inserted.

Breathe the freedom.

Specifically, the above advice applies to everybody; an LTC from Massachusetts is meaningless under New Hampshire state law.

i have a non-res permit, but from the days of old when i lived in NH i recall that you only need a permit to ccw. loaded in plain view was ok, but permit for ccw. things may have changed in the last 13 years
Yes, in the last decade, things have gotten slightly better. Due to a relaxation of the interpretation of the law; as mentioned by xtry51, "unloaded" can be as simple as "magazine not inserted/not attached".

I am driving from ma (where i have an ltc) to vermont tomorrow. From what I have been able to find, federal law allows interstate travel with an unloaded firearm in a locked case provided it is in a locked container and you have proper licence in your state of residence and proper license (if required) at your destination. Also you are traveling direct with only gas and food stops allowed. IANAL Though

I am driving from ma (where i have an ltc) to vermont tomorrow. From what I have been able to find, federal law allows interstate travel with an unloaded firearm in a locked case provided it is in a locked container and you have proper licence in your state of residence and proper license (if required) at your destination. Also you are traveling direct with only gas and food stops allowed. IANAL Though

You don't need to lock it. Neither NH nor VT care about you transporting a firearm. There is no such thing as a gun license in VT. Stay out of NY.

Nobody in New England, anyway. MA LTC is good in Alabama (and a few other states).

Here's what I came up with from USA Carry with a MA resident LTC: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont

By Vermont, I think they mean The LTC is not necessary but useful to mix and spread bondo or epoxy.

Your MA LTC means nothing in NH. Whether you do or do not have one has absolutely no effect on your transportation IN NH. The only thing it does have an effect on is your transport while in MA. So transport them in accordance with your MA LTC while in MA (or FOPA, if you want to go that route, which would be stupid, but I digress). When in NH, they just must be unloaded. That is it. Have fun while in NH.

Back
Top Bottom