Transporting in a car MA, legality?

Hi,

I am new here and this is my first post, be gentle with me. I don't have a MA license of any type yet, but I will be applying for one shortly. I've been reviewing the applicable laws and I have a question that is confusing me.

The law is very specific about how various types of firearms must be stored when transporting them in a vehicle. By this I mean locked up in the trunk or unloaded etc, based on the type of gun it is and the license which the owner posses.

The question I have is this: Is it assumed or required that you, the MA firemarms license holder, is the driver of the vehicle?

Meaning can the license holder be a passenger in the vehicle with the guns properly secured in it, or does the license holder always have to be driving the vehicle also?

I read the laws a few times and I can't figure it out. Does anyone from MA, know how this type of situation would be covered by the laws here?

Thanks,
SOX

No, anyone in the car can be the LTC/FID holder . . . as long as the guns are NOT within control/reach of a non-licensed person while "transporting". Much more can be found here by setting your User CP to view ALL THREADS and by doing a Search on a key word or two.

Welcome to the forum Sox. [wave] What Len said is correct. As long as you, the licensee, is in control of the firearm, or, it's not accessible to a non-licensed passenger (i.e. secured in the trunk or in a locked case), you're fine. Good luck in applying for you license too. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom