Transporting guns on airline.

I'm moving to Memphis and bringing my ar15 lower and my beretta m92fs. I picked up a lodge outfitters alumadot breakdown shotgun case at Dicks that fits both guns perfectly http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3962676. Anyone have any experience transporting with one of these things? My concern is that while the case is hard and locks at the briefcase clamps, I would be denied or the case is not deemed durable enough. How hard/durable do these things have to be?

All it has to be is a "hard" case. I have used hard plastic cases to transport my pistols by air. I locked the case with the big orange FIREARMS-UNLOADED tag inside and then locked it inside my checked baggage.

Good luck.

Youll have to declare it at the counter and sign a declaration form and put a copt in the case. Check your airline's web site for more info. I prefer an external padlock type of lock over or in addition to the briefcase type locks on a case like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

I locked my guns in a pelican case with padlocks them put them in a larger pelican case with approved airline locks.
When I got home one of the approved locks was missing.
At the ticketing counter you declare that u are traveling with firearms. They will make you put a card with them stating that they are unloaded either in with the guns or in the larger container on top of the box with the guns. At Bradley I put it on top then in Atlanta they wanted it in the pistol box

Go to the airline website and print out the traveling with firearms procedure. This can come in handy in dealing with clueless Boston based staff.

My 5 person junior trap team checked in 12 shotguns at Southwest with very little problems.

Flew delta this week from logan to the deep south :). Checked in, asked for a declaration card, showed the rifles/handguns and ammo all in one case. Asked if they were unloaded, said yes. Off to tsa, they looked for 2 secs so i locked and closed and off we went. Smoother than just checking in workout my firearms!

Flew delta this week from logan to the deep south :). Checked in, asked for a declaration card, showed the rifles/handguns and ammo all in one case. Asked if they were unloaded, said yes. Off to tsa, they looked for 2 secs so i locked and closed and off we went. Smoother than just checking in workout my firearms!

This is my usual experience.

The throwers at the airport are opportunistic. Lock it up like you care about it.

Metal case w full length steel hing 4 locks plus all firearms internal are locked and locked to the case. If they go thru those, well they gottem! Plus I use a case designed for testing equipment not a hun case as I found those to always arrive with pry marks or broken clips....

Quick question for you guys- I'm flying into Logan from California on my way to ME in a few weeks. Can I bring a firearm with me as I'm traveling through MA? It seems if MA was my destination I could if I was attending a sporting event, but is this any different than just driving through?

Quick question for you guys- I'm flying into Logan from California on my way to ME in a few weeks. Can I bring a firearm with me as I'm traveling through MA? It seems if MA was my destination I could if I was attending a sporting event, but is this any different than just driving through?
Technically speaking according to FOPA, yes, BUT... If there is any way to avoid this, I would. As long as you didn't stop on the way out you would, as I understand the law (IANAL) be perfectly legal. I would be sweating bullets until I hit the Hampton tolls though. I have no faith that the LEO you may bump into in your travels will understand the law. At that point you are dealing with a headache at the very least, and possible defending charges. I am assuming you do not have a MA non resident LTC. Where are you staying in ME? If I were you, I would ship the firearm to myself in ME and then back to myself in CA, if you are returning to that god forsaken state.

This doesn't appear to be helpful, but I'm telling you these NE States are to be avoided if you are a gun owner, especially if you "aren't from around here."

Technically speaking according to FOPA, yes, BUT... If there is any way to avoid this, I would. As long as you didn't stop on the way out you would, as I understand the law (IANAL) be perfectly legal. I would be sweating bullets until I hit the Hampton tolls though. I have no faith that the LEO you may bump into in your travels will understand the law. At that point you are dealing with a headache at the very least, and possible defending charges. I am assuming you do not have a MA non resident LTC. Where are you staying in ME? If I were you, I would ship the firearm to myself in ME and then back to myself in CA, if you are returning to that god forsaken state.

This doesn't appear to be helpful, but I'm telling you these NE States are to be avoided if you are a gun owner, especially if you "aren't from around here."

I'm staying in southern Maine- near Saco. Planning on going to the range in Scarborough, and if I'm lucky finding one of these "gravel pits" that are legal to shoot at in Maine.

It's looking like it's going to be about $200 more to fly into ME than MA, so I'd like to save the money for ammo [smile]

As for the non resident LTC- I called and was told interviews are backed up 3 months, and this is kind of a last min trip, so that's a non starter too.

As for shipping, I'd be nervous about that too.. According to the UPS site, they only ship to FFLs, so I'd have to try and find an FFL up in ME that would receive the package, and they set it up with my local FFL to receive the package back here when I was done.. That I think would be tough to get all lined up.

I'm staying in southern Maine- near Saco. Planning on going to the range in Scarborough, and if I'm lucky finding one of these "gravel pits" that are legal to shoot at in Maine.

It's looking like it's going to be about $200 more to fly into ME than MA, so I'd like to save the money for ammo [smile]

As for the non resident LTC- I called and was told interviews are backed up 3 months, and this is kind of a last min trip, so that's a non starter too.

As for shipping, I'd be nervous about that too.. According to the UPS site, they only ship to FFLs, so I'd have to try and find an FFL up in ME that would receive the package, and they set it up with my local FFL to receive the package back here when I was done.. That I think would be tough to get all lined up.

Chances are good that everything will go fine. However should Anything happen and your firearms are confiscated (headache referenced above) you lose more than the $200.
Should you need to retain a Lawyer, forget about it, you will wish you spent the $200.
Your call. Best of luck.

Chances are good that everything will go fine. However should Anything happen and your firearms are confiscated (headache referenced above) you lose more than the $200.
Should you need to retain a Lawyer, forget about it, you will wish you spent the $200.
Your call. Best of luck.

Excellent point, and more importantly, point taken.

Just wondering...do you have a Maine Non-Res permit?

Me or twolane? I do. However if all you are doing is bringing an firearm into the state, you do not need one. ME Non res permits allow holders to conceal carry and have loaded pistols in vehicles. ME allows open carry without a permit. Also, if all he wishes to do is have it to bring shooting and doesn't wish to CC he will be ok.

What about flying into Manchester NH?

I was thinking that as well. Twolane has a new thread asking for FFL near Portland/Saco. I suggested shipping to self in this thread, and he is geting that advice in his new thread as well. I remember you posting in other threads on UPS and Fed Ex changing their policy on that practice. Still Legal according to ATF but none of the major carriers will do it. Did I understand you correctly?
Here is his new thread.
Thanks Len.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...fl-needed-near-saco-portland.html#post3230899

Back
Top Bottom