Transporting firearms

Hello,

Heres the problem: The vehicles I can drive do not have trunks (minivan for example). How do I legally transport my guns to the range and back? Do I just need to put it in a case in the back of the car? Does it need to be locked? What are the exact requirments?

This has been discussed countless times in this very forum. Please use the search feature, and you will find all the information you are looking for.

This has been discussed countless times in this very forum. Please use the search feature, and you will find all the information you are looking for.

Another heartless SOB who actually expects a minimal effort be made before cluttering the forum with a repetitive question.

Here's to ya! [cheers]

Of course the magic search function will return the right answer to the question (at least assuming that the correct answer has been posted), mixed in with several dozen threads with only the vaguest relation to the topic of interest, and dozens more containing only some misinformed speculation as to the answer. Here's a copy of the GOAL chart summarizing the storage, transportation and carry laws. Note that with regard to transportation it refers to the trunk or storage area.

Ken

OHere's a copy of the GOAL chart summarizing the storage, transportation and carry laws. Note that with regard to transportation it refers to the trunk or storage area.

"OR storage area?" And where is THAT phrase in the MGL?

G.L.c. 140, § 131C. Carrying of firearms in a vehicle.

(a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a Class A license issued under section 131 or 131F shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(b) No person carrying a firearm under a Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(c) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.

(d) The provisions of this section shall not apply to (i) any officer, agent or employee of the, commonwealth or any state or the United States; (ii) any member of the military or other service of any state or of the United States; (iii) any duly authorized law enforcement officer, agent or employee of any municipality of the commonwealth; provided, however, that any such person described in clauses (i) to (iii), inclusive, is authorized by a competent authority to carry or possess the weapon so carried or possessed and is acting within the scope of his duties.

(e) A conviction of a violation of this section shall be reported forthwith by the court or magistrate to the licensing authority who shall immediately revoke the card or license of the person so convicted. No new such card or license may be issued to any such person until one year after the date of revocation.

If the gun is NOT locked in the TRUNK, it must be in a LOCKED CASE.

(I just got my licsense, I am 17 and have an FID card if you are wondering)

Get yourself one of those black plastic $20.00 cases from Wal-Mart and a set of keyed-alike padlocks from the hardware dept. That'll satisfy any LEO if you get stopped.

FWIW, I transport several handguns in a large "manpurse" with a cheezy $.25 luggage padlock on the zippers. According to an attorney, it's a "locked container".

Opinions vary.

Gentlemen:

Given Ericman's original questions and information, he has an FID,

Hello,

Heres the problem: The vehicles I can drive do not have trunks (minivan for example). How do I legally transport my guns to the range and back? Do I just need to put it in a case in the back of the car? Does it need to be locked? What are the exact requirments?

(I just got my licsense, I am 17 and have an FID card if you are wondering)

Quote:
G.L.c. 140, § 131C. Carrying of firearms in a vehicle.

(a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a Class A license issued under section 131 or 131F shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(b) No person carrying a firearm under a Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(c) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.

(d) The provisions of this section shall not apply to (i) any officer, agent or employee of the, commonwealth or any state or the United States; (ii) any member of the military or other service of any state or of the United States; (iii) any duly authorized law enforcement officer, agent or employee of any municipality of the commonwealth; provided, however, that any such person described in clauses (i) to (iii), inclusive, is authorized by a competent authority to carry or possess the weapon so carried or possessed and is acting within the scope of his duties.

(e) A conviction of a violation of this section shall be reported forthwith by the court or magistrate to the licensing authority who shall immediately revoke the card or license of the person so convicted. No new such card or license may be issued to any such person until one year after the date of revocation.

therefore paragraphs A, B, & C do not apply. Since they did not apply, paragraphs D & E wouldn't either.

Since he is not allowed to possess either a high cap rifle or shotgun, wouldn't a gunsock or other "unlocked" case surfice? I am asking this absent the "CLEO may deem a person unsuitable because they did it".

Locked case as stated above. I use a little brass luggage style combo lock, because I don't like to carry keys.

Also if at all possible, you'd be better off if it was NOT readily accessible by passengers, most importantly the driver (don't put the case in the passenger seat). This can be tough in small pickups. I can't cite a legal case, but that’s the intent of the law.

Last edited:
Since he is not allowed to possess either a high cap rifle or shotgun, wouldn't a gunsock or other "unlocked" case surfice? I am asking this absent the "CLEO may deem a person unsuitable because they did it".

Excellent point. Detours into what the MGL do - or don't - say regarding a "secure area" aside, that statute applies to:

1. Handguns; and

2. "Large capacity" long arms.

Given that the OP has only an FID, and assuming he is not transporting any gun not covered by that license, then simply having the rifle or shotgun in A container and NOT READILY ACCESSIBLE from the driver's seat should suffice.

I often put my Garand or '03 behind the seat because they don't really fit in my trunk and barely fit across the car between the front and rear seats.

Note that I travel directly to/from the range, without stops for milk, social calls, etc.

Keith,

If you;re just being your usual pompous, hypercritical self, please don't take this as a suggestion that you reform. OTOH, if you honestly believe that the advice contained in the handout the GOAL distributes by the hundreds is incorrect, please behave like a real supporter of safe, legal gun owners and inform them. Otherwise some cynical person might suspect that you're throwing GOAL members to the wolves in the hope of scoring a few clients, which we both know to be untrue.

Ken

Keith,

If you;re just being your usual pompous, hypercritical self, please don't take this as a suggestion that you reform. OTOH, if you honestly believe that the advice contained in the handout the GOAL distributes by the hundreds is incorrect, please behave like a real supporter of safe, legal gun owners and inform them. Otherwise some cynical person might suspect that you're throwing GOAL members to the wolves in the hope of scoring a few clients, which we both know to be untrue.

I think this turns on what the GOAL handout is referring to. Is it referring to TRANSPORT or STORAGE? As you know, different standards apply, much to the confusion of all concerned. "Trunk" implies a car; "storage area" suggests a structure more than a vehicle, but could be either.

There is also the second issue, as shown on this thread, of what TYPE of guns are being transported.

Okay, now I'm confused. [thinking]

I thought a locked case was required for transport too if not using a trunk, but the goal chart only says "cased" and doesn't mention a lock.

At some point in your life you'll be driving to or from the range and have to stop for gas, use the bathroom, or save a baby from a burning house and you'll want to be prepared for STORAGE as well.

Last edited:
I did not predict my simple questom becoming such a heated issue! I will get a lockable case, right now I have a plastic rifle case that may have a hole for a padlock and I will look later. Thanks guys.

I did not predict my simple questom becoming such a heated issue!

Ericman

It took the Founding Fathers 22 years after signing the Declaration of Independence to generate the US Constitution, even then it needed 10 amendments to clarify the intents.

New Englanders love to debate, contradict and argue. That's what a democracy does.

Welcome to the fun!!!

[grin]

therefore paragraphs A, B, & C do not apply. Since they did not apply, paragraphs D & E wouldn't either.

(C) Covers ALL but Class A and B LTCs, which FIDs clearly fall under

(C) Covers ALL but Class A and B LTCs, which FIDs clearly fall under

ReplicaX,

Please reread the section you highlighted in my comments and the MGL. I do not see the word "but". The section was specifically for LTC-A & LTC-B. There was no mention of non-high caps or FIDs

ReplicaX,

Please reread the section you highlighted in my comments and the MGL. I do not see the word "but". The section was specifically for LTC-A & LTC-B. There was no mention of non-high caps or FIDs

Correct. ReplicaX's comments are self-contradicting.

The statute applies to handguns and "large capacity" long arms; i.e., those firearms for which an LTC is required.

There is NO reference to NON-"large capacity" long arms, handguns or FID cards. Ergo, it appears that a non-"large capacity" long arm may be transported (NOT stored!) in a case unsecured by any sort of lock.

I think a gun sock is REALLY pushing the envelope, however.

Back
Top Bottom