• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kind of lost on some inherited firearms here in MA

Hey everyone how are you today? Im sort of lost on a few firearms I have inherited from my father who passed recently. I have transferred a handful already but Im curious on a few that I cant seem to find any information about online and hoping you could help.

-Colt 380 Government Pocketlite

- Feg P9R K

- Thompson Contender 223

Thank you so much for your help, I greatly appreciate it. Im unsure if I can legally transfer these over through the inheritance on the website, if not im not sure what else to do with them.

Use “registration”, not “inheritance”

If you try to use “inheritance” the system will ask you for the seller’s LTC number and PIN, neither of which exist/are valid after his death.

It’s a logical bug in the system.

Use “registration”, not “inheritance”

If you try to use “inheritance” the system will ask you for the seller’s LTC number and PIN, neither of which exist/are valid after his death.

It’s a logical bug in the system.
I have that information and was told by the licensing office when I called to do it this way. Have a 160 days after death. It seems to of worked for the handful I did this morning. Hopefully it doesn’t screw me.

My condolences on your loss. God bless.
Thank
My condolences. If you inherited them, you register them, no info on source. If you want to sell/give them away, it's just a regular transaction, NOT inheritance. There is a thread here on inheritance in the stickies that nobody ever reads.
Thank you. Maybe im not fully understanding with everything going on. Very stressfull.

I have that information and was told by the licensing office when I called to do it this way. Have a 160 days after death. It seems to of worked for the handful I did this morning. Hopefully it doesn’t screw me.
If YOU inherited them and have a LTC, there is no time limit. Police officers have a very poor understanding of MGL and specifically gun law. It's written in plain English what the "180 day" is about and it only applies to someone who inherits guns but is unlicensed. AFTER the estate is closed, they have 180 days to get licensed if they are keeping the guns.

If you are selling guns you inherited, you can't use inheritance or registration. Legally you must use a standard eFA-10 transaction form between you and the buyer and are limited to 4/calendar year. Otherwise, you go thru an FFL for >4 transactions. That's MGL and ignored by many!

If YOU inherited them and have a LTC, there is no time limit. Police officers have a very poor understanding of MGL and specifically gun law. It's written in plain English what the "180 day" is about and it only applies to someone who inherits guns but is unlicensed. AFTER the estate is closed, they have 180 days to get licensed if they are keeping the guns.

If you are selling guns you inherited, you can't use inheritance or registration. Legally you must use a standard eFA-10 transaction form between you and the buyer and are limited to 4/calendar year. Otherwise, you go thru an FFL for >4 transactions. That's MGL and ignored by many!
Thank you for that!

Never ask a police officer about MA firearms laws. They think they know the law but most simply don’t.

Almost always handgun, though there are ways to configure a SBR (SHort Barreled Rifle); even an interesting SCOTUS case on the topic.
Don't over-think it. If it's in "normal" Contender configuration, it's a handgun, regardless of chambering.

Back
Top Bottom