Transportation in Your Vehichle

I've posted some pictures below of how I travel when in my car. I have a Desantis Nemesis Pocket Holster wedged in between my passenger seat and center console. This system works so well and I have easy access to my firearm if needed. I've been driving like this for the past month but wanted some feed back from you guys/gals.

I got pulled over the other day and was like: Oh crap, what do I do? I grabbed my Beretta 85 and stuck it in my jacket pocket. While doing this I put up my rear sunshade because I didn't want the LEO to notice me scrambling around. I have no tinted windows in my car so anyone and everyone can see into my car. This circumstance got me thinking if I'm even doing the right thing by having my gun where it is.

I know some responses are going to be, "get a IWB" but my car seats hug me so good that it is impossible.

Also, would you have grabbed your gun and stuck it in your pocket? Or left it right there plain as day for the LEO to see?

BTW - This firearm is under my direct control.

SNC00040.jpg

SNC00038.jpg

is this a serious post?

you are carrying the gun off your person, loaded, and then when you get stopped by a LEO you immediately start fiddling with your gun?

we're going to read about you in the paper if you keep that kind of behavior up.

At the very least I'd suggest finding a less conspicuous location, maybe under dash or something. Way to keep a clean car, though. I wish my floor mats looked like that in winter.

I don't like it, for several reasons. First, in an accident, that gun isn't going to stay there. It will go flying. Second, it is visible to anyone who looks into your car. I don't want anyone to know I'm carrying. Third, off body carry makes it easy to forget the gun. Fourth, when you get into or out of your car, someone may see you transfer the gun holster to holster. Fifth, moving something around inside your car while being stopped is just asking for trouble. When that thing is a gun you may wind up with an extra bullet hole or twelve in your body.

Ideally, I would change your carry so that you can keep it on your person while driving -- whether by using a different holster or a different gun. Failing that, put it in your center console so at least it is out of sight and won't go flying around in an accident.

All good criticism here. I'm glad you responded atilla because sometimes you become too acclimated to your surroundings. I guess I'll just wear a jacket and keep it in there when driving.

To be clear - I put my firearm in my jacket before the car was stopped. I wasn't waving the gun around like some a**h*** or something.

To be clear - I put my firearm in my jacket before the car was stopped. I wasn't waving the gun around like some a**h*** or something.
Police officers can see you moving around when they are pulling you over. They watch you as they do that, looking for people trying to hide things as they are being pulled over, which is precisely what you were doing. That really sets their antennae off.

if im going to be in the car for a while, ill opt for the miami vice shoulder rig. extended drives with IWB cause my lower back to act up, and the shoulder rig is unnoticeable while driving and semi easy to draw

I just keep it on me, in a holster, while driving.

I don't say this as a criticism, rather I attribute it to my inherent laziness in trying to figure out anything more comfortable. I don't spend enough time in the car, armed (can't be armed to/from work, nothing allowed on company property), to invest in additional holsters.

More often for long drives, I put my Kimber in that same spot, too. 9 times out of 10 it's in a holster. Once I park, I slide the paddle on my backside, or so, and off I go. It fits nice and tight there when I'm driving, and I'd have to be in one heck of an accident to dislodge it. If it did dislodge in a major accident, that would be the least of my worries. I have a rag in my car that I cover the pistol with once it goes in it's little spot. This stops me from seeing it and perhaps getting stupid, and more importantly it hides it from rubberneckers as they drive by.

if the gun is under your direct control, whats the problem with it being under your leg or in the door panel? if you get pulled over and its hidden, its the same as if its on your person right?

is this a serious post?

you are carrying the gun off your person, loaded, and then when you get stopped by a LEO you immediately start fiddling with your gun?

we're going to read about you in the paper if you keep that kind of behavior up.

When I'm in my car, I do the same thing, except I put it between MY seat and the console and it is in a holster. In the Truck I put it in the side of the door, also in the holster. The gun remains within arms length from me and always stays in the holster.

In both cases for me, the Gun is not visible while I am in the drivers seat.

I use an IWB holster and find it very uncomfortable in the car and also hard to access if needed.

Last edited:
I would NOT advocate carrying a gun this way for a number of reasons:

- You'd be surprised at what will fly and where in even a fender-bender accident. That momentary impact creates several G's of force in a short time impulse.

- Even a largish pickup truck (not to mention 18 wheelers) can look down and see the holster/gun. Someone gets antsy and calls MSP and you're staring at a felony stop for nothing. May not be an issue in gun-friendly states, but MA is not one of those.

- The pucker factor is huge if an officer spots the holster or gun in a stop. Again you're talking about MA not TX here. Some PDs run 2 person cruisers or call for backups on all stops. Proper procedure is one officer on each side of car to look for anything suspicious.

Out of sight is best in all cases off your own property or a gun range.

There are Coronado vests, 5.11 jackets, etc. with inside pocket holsters. Other mfrs have them too. Could be a good investment.

Just my opinion, since you asked for it.

It fits nice and tight there when I'm driving, and I'd have to be in one heck of an accident to dislodge it.
In the infamous Miami shootout, an FBI agent drew his 9mm handgun from his holster and stuffed it tightly between the seatback and seat bottom prior to the felony stop of Platt and Maddox. The felony stop did result in a crash, but not a major one based on the condition of the cars afterwards. His gun few out and down into the footwell. The agent couldn't find it and thus had to fight with his backup (a J-frame).

If some road-rager ran into me deliberately, it would really suck if my gun was rolling around somewhere on the floor.

Guns are heavy and as a result the sudden acceleration of even a relatively mild collision will create tremendous forces.

At the very least I'd suggest finding a less conspicuous location, maybe under dash or something. Way to keep a clean car, though. I wish my floor mats looked like that in winter.

At the very least I'd keep the business card of one of our fine firearms lawyers in your wallet. I just don't see this carry method ending well.

Best,

Rich

- You'd be surprised at what will fly and where in even a fender-bender accident. That momentary impact creates several G's of force in a short time impulse. -- I don't disagree, but that baby is jammed in their tight, so it's not a major concern of mine.

- Even a largish pickup truck (not to mention 18 wheelers) can look down and see the holster/gun. Someone gets antsy and calls MSP and you're staring at a felony stop for nothing. May not be an issue in gun-friendly states, but MA is not one of those. --I cover it, nobodies seeing it unless they have xray vision.

- The pucker factor is huge if an officer spots the holster or gun in a stop. Again you're talking about MA not TX here. Some PDs run 2 person cruisers or call for backups on all stops. Proper procedure is one officer on each side of car to look for anything suspicious. -- When pulled over, I have no problem telling an officer that I am carrying. I'm not afraid of telling them; all my family members in LE say I can't go wrong doing it this way and it works for me.

It's all good. Not to disagree, but I do, on a few points. [smile]

Someone posted a link to a holster that attaches to your drivers seat and positions the gun below, or in between your legs. I have to say I like this idea. I carry a spare holster for long drives, (Fobus J-frame paddle) and wear it backwards, (cross draw). This seems to work out well for me, as access to my firearm quickly from the drivers seat is something I deem to be important. I am however going to investigate the seat holster further...

In the infamous Miami shootout, an FBI agent drew his 9mm handgun from his holster and stuffed it tightly between the seatback and seat bottom prior to the felony stop of Platt and Maddox. The felony stop did result in a crash, but not a major one based on the condition of the cars afterwards. His gun few out and down into the footwell. The agent couldn't find it and thus had to fight with his backup (a J-frame).

If some road-rager ran into me deliberately, it would really suck if my gun was rolling around somewhere on the floor.

Guns are heavy and as a result the sudden acceleration of even a relatively mild collision will create tremendous forces.

I get your overall point, but I'm not a Special Agent man in hot pursuit of a scumbag. People really game things way too much around here and try to compare apples with oranges.

I get your overall point, but I'm not a Special Agent man in hot pursuit of a scumbag. People really game things way too much around here and try to compare apples with oranges.
My point was not that you are agent and likely to get involved in a felony stop. My main point was that I think you are vastly underestimating the forces in even a minor collision when you say it is jammed in there real tight.

My point was not that you are agent and likely to get involved in a felony stop. My main point was that I think you are vastly underestimating the forces in even a minor collision when you say it is jammed in there real tight.

I get it, I don't want to beat the point; I've been in accidents. But I'm still going to take my chances. [thinking] [wink] I just hope that I get t-boned, so my babay isn't going anywhere....

I get it, I don't want to beat the point; I've been in accidents. But I'm still going to take my chances. [thinking] [wink] I just hope that I get t-boned, so my babay isn't going anywhere....

Fair enough. Everyone has to make their own choices and I understand that my choices may not be yours.

Just another thought. Life is hectic. I'm often thinking about business or personal stuff while driving. I can become distracted.

If a firearm is on my hip or in my pocket I can't leave it in the car. Your method does leave open the possibility of a brain fart causing really nasty legal problems.

Best,

Rich

Back
Top Bottom