Transfering Smith and Wesson S&W pre-lock revolvers into MA from elsewhere.

I have read and re-read numerous posts in this section and can not determine if certain S&W revolvers can be transferred through a MA FFL to a MA Resident with a Class A LTC. Specifically, I am looking at various vintage Mod. 29 and 629 series pistols on the auction sites. Many of these are pre-lock versions. I am seeking a 44 Mag to carry when in bear country out of state. I have the appropriate permits/licenses to do so in various out of state jurisdictions where I frequently hunt. I see some 629 series pistols listed on the current EOS Approved Firearms Roster dated 09-2014. Over the years many variations of this model have been made in both standard and Performance Center versions. Does each specific variation have to be identified on the EOS Approved firearms roster?

I've searched and not found this specific question answered. Perhaps I should just take this up with a local FFL Dealer. Thanks in advance for your responses.

This is due to stupidity on S&W's part. Different dash numbers should have NO effect on metallurgy or passing the EOPS roster testing criteria. By not requesting approval of all variants they have created a morass.

Just ask your local dealer what he will or will not do and go from there.

I wanted to buy a Talo 629 a couple of years ago and couldn't find one in state. During a call with Smith & Wesson customer service, I asked if it was mass compliant and "on the list" to which he replied "all smith and wesson revolvers are mass compliant." All revolvers, past and present was my next question. "Yep" he answered. Huh, damn.....I called a place in Arizona after securing an FFL to ship it to and owned it within the week. Take this fable with a grain of salt.

This is due to stupidity on S&W's part. Different dash numbers should have NO effect on metallurgy or passing the EOPS roster testing criteria. By not requesting approval of all variants they have created a morass.

Just ask your local dealer what he will or will not do and go from there.

if they left the dash off the application then nobody would be the wiser and we'd all win. Even as it stands now there are a crap ton of dealers that don't care about what variant it is. Theres an obvious reason for it but im not gonna post it here for obvious reasons.

-Mike

if they left the dash off the application then nobody would be the wiser and we'd all win. Even as it stands now there are a crap ton of dealers that don't care about what variant it is. Theres an obvious reason for it but im not gonna post it here for obvious reasons.

-Mike

My point exactly.

I have had two pre-lock model 629s over the years as well as several pre-lock other calibers transferred into MA. As S&W said, all their pre-lock revolvers are MA compliant. Never had an issue with revolvers transferring into MA.

I have had two pre-lock model 629s over the years as well as several pre-lock other calibers transferred into MA. As S&W said, all their pre-lock revolvers are MA compliant. Never had an issue with revolvers transferring into MA.

As it should be!

Back
Top Bottom